Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
tonhou
tonhou began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
New Jetbook Firmware

A new firmware is available 0.35m.
It is an official version which has addressed most (all?) issues that have been reported.
http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-posts/list/19980.page

--Tony
tonhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Good update. Since v0.35k, my confidence in ectaco has been restored.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
0.35m only has the firmware folder and according to the firmware upgrade instructions, I also need the "reflash_nor" and "Data" folders. Does anyone know where I can get these extra folders?

Quote:
Firmware upgrade instructions:
1. Make a backup copy of books, audio files, and pictures that you store on your jetBook.
2. Fully charge the jetBook battery.
3. Download and unpack the firmware package and then transfer the Data, firmware, and reflash_nor folders to the root directory of an SD card. Make sure your SD card does not contain any files other than those found in the firmware package.
4. Place the SD card into your jetBook SD slot.
5. Press the Reset button. The device will turn off. Do not turn it on.
6. Press and hold the On/Off button and right arrow key simultaneously until the jetBook Firmware screen appears.
7. The update process will take about 10 – 15 minutes.
WARNING! Do not press any keys on your jetBook while updating is in progress!
8. When the update process is complete, press the Reset button. The device will turn off.
9. Press and hold the On/Off button for 3 seconds. Release the button. jetBook will start within 1 minute.
10. Firmware update process is completed at this point.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
You don't actually need them.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
amonlb
amonlb began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
Hi

Please make a mirror because whenever I download firmware from ectaco site I can't update my Jetbook. Every time it says updating was immposible please check files if corrupted download again.
amonlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

This update introduces a bug: the zoom level (font size) of the book list menu isn't saved. It'll always reset to the biggest font size.

Try this: change the font size of the books menu to something smaller, then open a book, and close it. You'll find that the font size has gone back to the large default size.

Not a big bug, but annoying if you have long book titles.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is this the first "official" release that supports ADE? So far only the beta releases have (and the bug you mentioned, greenapple, was fixed in 0.35k). Are they are two separate development tracks?

0.35a (beta) ADE
0.35g (official) NO ADE
0.35k (beta) ADE, nice bugfixes
0.35m (official) ???
Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Yes it does Adobe DRM

Well the good news is that with the new update they can read Adobe CRM (Library ebooks) as of July 26. I know it can do it because I have two library ebooks with DRM on the Jetbook right now. The bad news is that something has changed and I am unable to read my old ePub ebooks.

I usually load the Lits into Calibre, then as I put them on to the Jetbook I convert to ePub. Been working fine up to now. the only reason I went to the 35m update is I was having some problems with booting or I would have left things alone.

No longer. Either there is a significant change in Jetbook (the original not the Jetbook lite) or there's a change in Calibre.

I can open and read them in Calibre. Then I transfer them to the Jetbook. When I go to open them the jetbook says "failed to open the file."

Any suggestions?

Update: seems that the lits go into Calibre just fine and can be read there. It's that transfer and format change on the fly to the Jetbook that seem to not be working. the file says it's an epub but no joy at reading it - failed to read.

I did talk to Kovid about this and he says that "Nope, the only thing jetbook specific calibre does is set the filename."

Anyone else have this challenge?

Last edited by Dennisvjames; 07-29-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonhou View Post
A new firmware is available 0.35m.
It is an official version which has addressed most (all?) issues that have been reported.
http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-posts/list/19980.page

--Tony
Get this message from link...

"Oooops. You don't have sufficient privileges to access this topic"
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
greenapple
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywojo View Post
Get this message from link...

"Oooops. You don't have sufficient privileges to access this topic"
Get an account. It's free.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
The bad news is that something has changed and I am unable to read my old ePub ebooks.
I'm reading old not-DRM ePubs just fine (though I used Stanza to convert not Calibre). They did change the font and how they are diplayed (IIRC how it used to be: smaller font, margins, can't change the font size only zoom to set levels, etc.)

I'm seeing some funkiness with buttons occasionally not responding and have to mash them a few times before they do.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

You can get it here too

http://jetbook.net/update.php?refid=29532
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #13
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
This update introduces a bug: the zoom level (font size) of the book list menu isn't saved. It'll always reset to the biggest font size.

Try this: change the font size of the books menu to something smaller, then open a book, and close it. You'll find that the font size has gone back to the large default size.

Not a big bug, but annoying if you have long book titles.
I have this bug as well.
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Kralik
Guru

Are there any noticeable improvements between 0.35k and 0.35m besides the old zoom bug coming back again?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
tonhou
tonhou began at the beginning.

Quote:
Are there any noticeable improvements between 0.35k and 0.35m besides the old zoom bug coming back again?
Vastly improved TOC for pdf's.
I only use pdf's as you can shape them and they are much faster than epubs.
This release is almost perfect for me - I would still like to have sub-levels in the TOC which used to happen with Foxit Reader.

--Tony
tonhou is offline   Reply With Quote