Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Best first steps with Kindle

I am planning on ordering a Kindle this week. I am trying to time it so I can go pick it up on Saturday from the post office (I will not be able to get to the post office before then). I want to do the best first steps with it so it is charged and ready to go ASAP with all my content loaded on it (I already have a lot of books). My question is, somebody told me to 'go slow' with adding content as it will try to index them and may freeze if I add too much at once. So what are the best steps here? I have about 800 books, and will probably want to put 500 or so onto the Kindle (I know it can hold more books than the Sony can).

One advantage of the Kindle over the Sony I have now is apparently you can use it while it is charging. So I thought I could load it up and experiment a little during the day, then leave it plugged into my computer overnight. Is that going to be enough time for it to charge and index? If I follow this plan, will I avoid the freezing/indexing issue? Or is it better to load, say, 50 a day until everything is on there?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I don't keep a large number of books on my Kindle but you may want to compare notes with Sydney's Mom as she's working on adding 892 books to her Kindle.

You can also sirbruce's account of trying to load 1700 books on his K2.

And galvtsi just posted a tip on troubleshooting and maybe speeding up the index process.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I use my Kindle 2 the way I use an HD PVR -- it's for "current" titles, not used as a long-term archival device. Since the Kindle does not (yet) have an attractive index system -- you can see several titles on a page sorted various ways but have to "scroll" by pressing next page -- there is diminishing returns trying to use it as primary storage.

I like to think of my Kindle 2 as the shuttle craft and my desktop as the mother ship. I carry around a handsome collection of books I have just read, am about to read and am currently reading or might want to start reading ... in total, even for an extended vacation, this is dozens, not hundreds, of titles.

My initial charge was an hour or so off the AC charger -- keep in mind in Canada there is no reason to leave wireless on all the time -- and with a two week battery life, it doesn't need refreshing all that often.

I haven't force fed it 800 books; I tend to transfer 5 or 6 at a time. Remind me: how will you navigate through 800 titles? And why do you want to?

Last edited by SensualPoet; 01-11-2010 at 09:40 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want to 'carry my library with me' like the ad says I do think they will add tags or folders soon and that will make it easier. But I have some books I already read but which I might want to read again, and I have some I haven't read. I also have some I have read that I do NOT want to carry around with me

I am really trying to prune the 'junk' out of my collection and use the Kindle for beloved books I have read already and new books I have yet to read. But that still will be a fairly heft collection

I don't see how it could take more than overnight to charge and load, but I could be wrong about that
Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
fiver
Enthusiast
fiver doesn't litterfiver doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I have just over 1000 titles on my kindle 2. I've not seen any 'freeze ups' that I feel can be attributed to the indexing - however, since the 2.3 update, going between the current book and the table of contents is extremely slow. I'm not sure if this my be related to the number of books on my kindle or not.

I admit 'paging' through the table of contents is frustrating - I usually search for an author or title I want. Search takes a pretty long time to retrieve a result - I'd love to know what indexing/db/searching algorithm they are using as I can't believe how slow it is.

The kindle is not my PRIMARY storage device - I keep all my books on my file server too, but I don't always know what I'm going to feel like reading at any one time.

Michael
fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I wouldn't put 50 at a time on a Kindle. More like 10, maximum, until it has a chance to index. Plugged in is a good idea, though. There's no rush to get the whole library on there, really. Just enough for what you want to read soon, then gradually add books until whatever you want is on there.

Personally, I see no need to put everything on my Kindle at one time. It isn't like I can't move things over from the pc any time I want.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard

Okay, it turns out I have just scored a local one on Craigslist! They got it as a gift for someone who didn't want it. The woman says it has not even been used. I will have it tomorrow!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Okay, it turns out I have just scored a local one on Craigslist! They got it as a gift for someone who didn't want it. The woman says it has not even been used. I will have it tomorrow!
Congratulations! I hope you got a good deal on it.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Congratulations! I hope you got a good deal on it.
Well, she had a lot of offers and was pretty non-negotiable as it's brand new, unused (a gift that the giftee didn't want). But I was first to get back to her with a time and place to meet. She is throwing in a free leather case, and I am saving about $50 on the cost of the Kindle.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

That's a good deal! Less than a refurb with a leather cover thrown in.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:31 AM   #11
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Very nice. Did you get it?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
ficbot
Wizard

I did get it! And I love it! I am still working out the kinks in the best way to get all my content converted, but I have about 30 books on it right now (including a complete cut and paste of all the notes from a website for a course I am taking) on the Kindle. The default font looks WAY better than the default font on my Sony looks. I also walked home today and had it read to me and got through a dozen or so pages in the book while I walked! And I put a French-English dictionary on it as my default dictionary so I can do some more reading in French. I am thrilled.

I have had two crashes though. It just froze up completely for no apparent reason and had to be rebooted. Also, there is sometimes a little bit of ghosting on the screen, is this normal?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Also, there is sometimes a little bit of ghosting on the screen, is this normal?
Sometimes. The whole screen does not refresh with every page turn. You can clear it by pressing alt+g.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Could someone clarify what you mean by indexing?
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Could someone clarify what you mean by indexing?
Indexing makes the books search-able (within the book and within the Kindle). I'm not sure but I don't think the dictionary will work on book that haven't been indexed.