Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
CarrieEllen
CarrieEllen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Reader Shutting Off?

Hello, everyone. I'm new here, so if I don't post something correctly, forgive me, please. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the forum.

I have a Sony Reader, Pocket Edition. Matter of fact, many posts on this forum helped me decide on it. I'm new to ebooks, but so far, I'm in love. I do have a question, however.

I've noticed, sometimes, when I add ebooks to my reader, then try to read them, it hangs up on "Formatting," then shuts off/reboots the reader. I had it happen just now, with a .lrf version of Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass, which I downloaded from here. I deleted the book from the reader via Calibre, but I'm disappointed as I love WW. Anyway, my question is, has anyone else had this happen with their 300? Is it just that my reader doesn't recognize formats sometimes? It does recognize .lrf, and it's happened with .pdfs before, too.

Whew, that was wordy...
CarrieEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
well until recently I've only loaded books onto my reader using the Ebook Library software, Sonys software preloads the book so you have no formatting on the device. in that time I never even had to turn off the reader.

when I switched to calibre a couple of books ago. it got real slow and I had to restart it. no crashing though on the few books I tried

anyway. from what I've heard, it(all sony readers) sometimes crashes on big files(rare after the 505), or if there is an error in the file(more common). ussually restarting and trying to load the book again works, sometimes it doesnt
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 04:11 AM   #3
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
I have a 300 and only use Sony Ebook Library and had no problem with my reader so far and I'm new to all of this too. I did have a bit of a learning curve with the machine, and one time had to format and bring it back to factory state when I couldn't delete a collection for some weird reason. But except for that, it's been a wonderful experience this ebook reading.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Yosa
Yosa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Reader shutting off

Hi,

I have a PRS-700 and just encountered that kind of problem - I had uploaded a bunch of books using Calibre (My sony library software crashes) and the reader would just keep rebooting/restarting. I think it happens when a file is corrupted or has a bad character in it.

The solution was to hook the reader back up to the computer and delete those files from the reader. It went back to normal. I am now uploading a few files at a time this time instead of a bunch all at once to see if I can find out which file is the corrupted one.
Yosa is offline   Reply With Quote