Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
I Saw This and Thought of You

Us. We. Ourselves.
Whatever.

Grammar
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Oh, I love this!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Well, with respect to #18 (or a portion of it), I can tell them where the "s" in vs. went. It was a casualty of modern "legal style" thanks to the court system.

The various state and federal courts, as a group, set the appropriate citation styles for legal writing. And, somewhere in there, someone decided to drop that "s." I have no idea what it did to piss them off .... but the correct citation style has (for many years now) been "Plaintiff v. Defendant."

And, I would guess that this has now leaked over into common usage.

Hey ... these things happen.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Because, spoken, it's quicker to say "Taylor Vee Google" than "Taylor versus Google".

Brevity ftw!
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Because, spoken, it's quicker to say "Taylor Vee Google" than "Taylor versus Google".

Brevity ftw!

(please tell me the don't actually pronounce that "Taylor Vee Google")
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

Sorry, but yes ... that's exactly what they say. Sad, no??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i can only sigh and shake my head in consternation at this news. truly, the world is in a sorry state.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Winston Churchill is (perhaps incorrectly) attributed with saying, when confronted with the rule about not ending a sentence with a preposition: "This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

I love that one.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
In 'Legal System & Method' class we were taught that regardless of whether it was written as v. or vs. you always said 'against'.
Presumably anything else was just bad form.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
In 'Legal System & Method' class we were taught that regardless of whether it was written as v. or vs. you always said 'against'.
Presumably anything else was just bad form.
wow, my latin skills are clearly more inadequate than i even realized (which is saying a lot). i never would have guessed that the pronunciation of "versus" is "against".
Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Only in Great Britain, Canada, and Australia, where they can't spell anything right. Actually, they spell anything right, but get it all wrong on plow, check, humor, and French Fries.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
1. The one that really annoys me is how people suddenly seem to confuse "have" and "of", as in: "I could of learnt how to write properly." There's no excuse for it!
I challenge anyone to discern the difference between "I could've" and "I could of" when hearing it. The only fair complaint is if it's written [s]wrong[/s] wrongly.

Quote:
18. The usage that I find particularly irritating is that of a single noun with a plural verb, for example: "the team are happy with their victory", or "management have congratulated the workforce on the recent increase in productivity". Team is a singular noun so it should read "the team IS happy..." or "the team members ARE happy", the same applies "management HAS congratulated..."
I'd bet that the submitter of this one has been listening to (or reading) American rather than English. In school (late 1960s) we were taught the rule that a collective noun takes a plural verb. I asked for an example and the teacher could not come up with one. Twenty years later, I travel to England, pick up a copy of The Times and see the rule illustrated, "Parliament are ..."

Edit -- hmmm... looks like this site doesn't support markup for a strike-thru.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
And has been said that way for a long time. I remember hearing "Roe v Wade" from the beginning.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I challenge anyone to discern the difference between "I could've" and "I could of" when hearing it. The only fair complaint is if it's written [s]wrong[/s] wrongly.
well, i admit that one drives me crazy too (when written)... i agree with you that they sound alike, but "could of" makes no sense !! if you stop and think about it for one second you realize that it's completely meaningless. whereas "could *have*"...

then again i get very irritated about things that most people would consider trivial if they noticed them at all, like using "mythical" when you mean "legendary" (they're not the same !!!!!). or "travesty" for "tragedy" (again, not the same !!!! arg !!!!).

also, i've noticed lately a lot of people saying "forbid from (doing something)". this is a sincere question, but is that correct ? shouldn't it be "forbid to (do something)" or "forbid (something, which could be a gerund : "forbid smoking)" ? where did this "forbid from doing" come from all of a sudden ???

excuse me while i go take a deep breath and maybe have a glass of cold water.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Edit -- hmmm... looks like this site doesn't support markup for a strike-thru.
yes it does it's [ strike ]

Tags
unutterable silliness