Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre2opds v3.3 - OPDS catalogs from your Calibre library

This first post will be updated as required for the latest news and downloads on the 3.3 release to avoid you having to read through the thread to get the most up-to-date status.

News
Development of Calibre2opds 3.3 is now deemed completed and Calibre2opds 3.3 (rev 274) has been released as the final 3.3 release.

The final 3.3 Release is now available (rev 274) at the Calibre2opds Googledrive download site. The ZIP distribution is installed by unzipping the contents over the previous release or by following the Manual Install instructions for the ZIP install in the User Guide.

The 3.4 beta program will now be started to handle fixing any errors reported in the 3.3 release, and for adding new features.

Localization
The localization of Calibre2opds to languages other than English has become rather incomplete. If anyone is willing to help in getting Localizations up-to-date (for an existing language) or add a new one), then details on the process can be found here. No special development skills are required - just familiarity with the target language(s) and some time to dedicate to the task.

Description:

The calibre2opds tool can generate OPDS and HTML catalogs from the metadata of the Calibre ebook library manager. The calibre2opds catalogs are intended for scenarios where use of the Calibre Content Server is not appropriate (see here for a comparison). These catalogs can then be used both to browse your ebook library online and also to download books on demand.

Changes for Calibre2Opds v3.3

New features under development:
  • None at this time
New features that were planned:
  • #c2o-173: Make authors, series and tags into active links in book details<br>Completed for authors - not yet done for series and/or tags<br>No more will be done on this for the 3.3 release.
New features that were under consideration:
  • #c2o-156: Allow Calibre Custom Column values to be used to create new sub-catalogs
    criteria. This feature will not appear before release 3.4 as it is proving non-trivial to implement.
  • #c2o-157: Allow Calibre Custom Column values to be used in calibre2opds search
This feature will not appear before release 3.4 as it is proving non-trivial to implement.

Bug Fixes/New Features completed:
  • Change: Resized cover and thumbnail images are no longer generated as a specific phase, but are instead generated (if required) when creating the book details page
  • New: #c20-144: Remove redundant folder names in relative links
  • New: #c2o-147: Option to suppress selected tags in tags sub-catalog
  • New: #c2o-148: Remove redundant folder names in relative links
  • New: #c2o-155: Allow Calibre Custom Column values to be displayed in Book Details
  • New: #c2o-160: Allow Books to be on a different URL to the catalog
  • Fix: #c2o-161: The "Language as Tag" value being inverted when saved
  • New: #c2o-162: Option to Include cover images within the catalog
  • Fix: #c20-163: If you do multiple generation runs without reloading calibre2opds the catalogs are not correctly generated.
  • New: #c2o-164: Option to Publish only the generated catalog in Publish mode when Books URL specified
  • Fix: #c2o-166: HTML Downloads not generated if OPDS catalog not being generated
  • Fix: #c2o-167: Option to Save bandwidth no longer makes sense so removed it
  • New: #c2o-168: Omit counts from internal links when Minimize Changed Files selected
  • New: #c2o-169: Option to exclude tags from cross-reference links
  • New: #c2o-170: Provide direct links from a list of books to the related authors in HTML catalogs
  • Fix: #c2o-171: Publication date does not show up in the book details page
  • Fix: #c20-172: Dmg Release of Mac OSX broken.
  • Fix: #c2o-174: Invalid catalog generated if Encrypt filenames selected
  • Fix: #c2o-176: New thumbnails and resized covers not copied until next run in Publish mode
  • Fix: #c2o-177: Link to top level incorrect if Books URL is specified.
  • Fix: #c2o-178: Setting for including tags in cross-references toggles between runs
  • New: #c2o-179: Prefix all files that Calibre2opds adds to Calibre library with c2o_
  • Fix: #c2o-181: Setting for HTML Downloads not being correctly loaded/saved
  • Fix: #c2o-182: Browse by Cover mode not working
  • Fix: #c2o-184: Leaves droppings temporary files folder
  • Fix: #c2o-185: Silent batch mode does not work on Windows
  • Fix: #c2o-186: Problem when author surname shorter than value of split-by-letter level
  • Fix: #c2o-187: Option for destination to only be catalog in Publish mode disabled
  • Fix: #c2o-190: Display author/book title sort fields don't work
  • Fix: #c2o-191: Tags to omit is not working properly
  • Fix: #c2o-192: Broken links for omitted tags in Book Details
  • Fix: #c2o-193: Publish date as year not working
  • New: #c2o-194: Localization for Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR, UTF-8)
  • Fix: #c2o-195: Generating recent catalog leads to stackoverflow
  • New: #c2o-196: ZIP version of the catalog
  • Fix: #c2o-197: Unable to add a new custom catalog entry (in 3.3 beta)
  • Fix: #c2o-198: Allow Relative URL's to be used for Custom catalogs.
  • Fix: #x2o-199: Custom Catalog entries not logged correctly
  • Fix: #c2o-201: 3.3 beta rev 272; 404 error select 'next page'

Useful links

Last edited by itimpi; 04-18-2014 at 11:22 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I'm having a few problems using the latest beta.
- using the encrypt filenames option the program generates a different filename for the index file every time it is updated. This forces the user to reconfigure their book reader programs each time.

-I'm getting errors on using the catalog. I can get to the opds menu but trying to open authors, tags,etc results in an error message starting there is no valid opds catalog.
This is probably related to the next problem below.

- Dropbox complains that it can't upload some of the files. Just an example:
"Cannot sync 9fd48707@4576551@author_2 rejected by server"
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure what is going wrong. The encryption string should not change between runs (unless you force a reset) - and there should only be a single occurrence of the @ symbol that is used to separate the encrypted part of the name from the plain text part (although it will occur in both the folder and file name parts). Does the file that causes the error exist in DropBox on your local PC? Does the 3.2 release work OK? If so I am even more puzzled as the code that generates file names has not changed for this beta release.

Can you look at the calibre2opds configuration file on your machine to see if it is storing a value for 'SecurityCode'. If possible it would be useful if you could raise a bug report and provide a copy of both the configuration file and the log.

Just as a check - does everything work as expected if you do not select the option to encrypt the file names?

I will do some specific testing with DropBox to see if I can reproduce your symptoms. I can with a one line source code change alter the @ to a different character, although my testing suggested it should not cause a problem.

Having said all the above the whole purpose of beta releases is to get some wider testing so that such issues can get resolved.

EDIT: I have just run a test and reproduced the double @ symbol. This should definitely not be happening - and will explain why a catalog is not working properly. I need to work out what I changed that had this side-effect since I last tested encrypted files. Hopefully it will be a trivial fix and the encryption key changing between runs is related. I will upload a fixed build as soon as I identify the cause.

Last edited by itimpi; 10-22-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard

edbro: There is now a build 243 available for download that should fix the problem with multiple @ signs in the folder/file names, and also the name of the index file should now be constant between runs. They were both side-effects for a fix I put in to limit the number of files put within a single folder for large libraries (and obviously never tested for the encrypted files case). Without this fix a large library could cause issues if the catalog (or your TEMP folder) was located on a FAT32 based file system.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem with Dropbox uploading files that you mentioned. If this continues to occur please let me know and I can investigate further.

Last edited by itimpi; 10-22-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Everything seems to be fine now. I can upload all files and the catalog fully works! I suspect Dropbox was choking on the files with the double @. This time it didn't report any upload errors.

I think the file name changed for the index file because I used a new installation of Calibre2opds. I guess the encryption string changes each time you newly configure it?

Thank you so much for your work on this project. I greatly appreciate it.
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Everything seems to be fine now. I can upload all files and the catalog fully works! I suspect Dropbox was choking on the files with the double @. This time it didn't report any upload errors.
Glad to hear that it now works. Not sure why Dropbox would have choked on two @ characters in the name - it is still a valid name. However at least the presence of the two @ characters alerted me to the fact something had gone wrong with the encryption logic.

Quote:
I think the file name changed for the index file because I used a new installation of Calibre2opds. I guess the encryption string changes each time you newly configure it?
The way that encryption is handled changes with the 3.2 release and you start with a random value, but once you get a name it should remain constant between runs as long as you are running off the same configuration file and profile. There is an option on the menus to reset the encryption code if you want to get a new random value.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
edbro
Banned

1 question and 1 observation:

- If I copy the ".calibre2opds" folder will I be able to share configurations among multiple installs? I run Calibre2opds on both my laptop and my desktop. I'd like to have the same encryption string.

- I find that I can't run the program if the path has a space in it. It works fine in "D:\Calibre2opds" but not in "D:\Portable Software\Calibre2opds".
Old 10-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

Yes - the security code is held in the configuration file so as long as you have the same setting on both machines you should be fine. If there is not one present in an existing Configuration file then a new random value is created. The configuration files are text, so you could simply copy the value for SecurityCode from one file to another to have the same value.

The issue you mention with a space in the path name is strange as I have mine under "Program Files\Calibre2opds" which has a space in it. I will see if I can reproduce this. Exactly which build are you running - I want to make sure I am trying with the same release.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
edbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The issue you mention with a space in the path name is strange as I have mine under "Program Files\Calibre2opds" which has a space in it. I will see if I can reproduce this. Exactly which build are you running - I want to make sure I am trying with the same release.
I'm running ver 243. I simply unzipped the file to the directory, it isn't over top an old install.

Just for grins, I changed D:\Calibre2opds to "D:\Calibre2 opds" and it again fails. The command window flashes momentarily and then it quits. Not a big deal as I have it running fine off the root directory without any spaces.

Windows 8.1 x64
Java 7 r45
Old 10-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Cyana: And another feature request - a link from the author's name to the author's allbooks-page in every book catalog. At the moment, you have to drill down to the book's page, from where you go back to the author to see all his books.
I have just uploaded a rev 244 that implements this feature. I also added the authors name to the "all books" entry under an author to make it clearer where you are. Let me know if it operates as you envisaged.

Now working on next revision (rev 245?) which will allow you to display Custom Column Values within Book Details - something that has been much requested.

Last edited by itimpi; 10-27-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
I'm running ver 243. I simply unzipped the file to the directory, it isn't over top an old install.

Just for grins, I changed D:\Calibre2opds to "D:\Calibre2 opds" and it again fails. The command window flashes momentarily and then it quits. Not a big deal as I have it running fine off the root directory without any spaces.

Windows 8.1 x64
Java 7 r45
Not yet managed to reproduce this - strange as I am also running Windows 8 64-bit so you would have thought it should be the same.

How are you actually trying to start the program? I was simply clicking the rungui.cmd file. Are you using a different method? For instance a menu shortcut which does not have quotes around the name of what is to be run?
Old 10-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
edbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Not yet managed to reproduce this - strange as I am also running Windows 8 64-bit so you would have thought it should be the same.

How are you actually trying to start the program? I was simply clicking the rungui.cmd file. Are you using a different method? For instance a menu shortcut which does not have quotes around the name of what is to be run?
See video here. Poor quality if viewed online but decent if you download it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpswn8luny...libre2opds.avi
Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
See video here. Poor quality if viewed online but decent if you download it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpswn8luny...libre2opds.avi
I have tried repeating the steps you show in the video, and still not been able to reproduce the issue you describe!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard

Custom Column support

I have posted the first build (245M) of Calibre2opds that has some support for Custom Columns. In this build you can request Custom column values to be displayed under Book Details.

As this is the first build that supports Custom Columns there may well be some initial quirks. The list of types is initially limited until I get around to adding missing types - you will get an error message if you try and use a type not yet supported. I would welcome any feedback.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
cyana
Enthusiast
cyana began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hello itimpi,

finally I could manage to reanimate my cloud
I've now tested 3.3 beta - the link to the author works perfect, many thanks!!!

Unfortunately, now all catalogs are generated from the scratch again, when you add just another book (Minimized number of changed files is checked) making it impossible to find out the files that really need to be updated in the cloud. In prior versions, at least some catalogs that stayed untouched were not regenerated thus saving their modified date so that they were left out when you synchronize. At least for me this is a big issue because my only choice is to delete the complete _catalog folder and re-upload it again.

And one little bug: the resized book covers are generated in the original calibre folder, but not transferred to the location of the online library.

best greetings and thanks!
cyana

Last edited by cyana; 11-07-2013 at 05:41 PM.
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote