Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #91
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
As an aside I noticed the last night when trying to rate an app on GooglePlay, to leave feedback for an app you have to have a Google+ ID.

So maybe you're on the something right there, Google+ is just not doing that well and Google wants everything to flow through there from now on.
Oh I havent noticed that we need to have G+ id. but I think it's just the same as Gmail ID since they are connected
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #92
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
Oh I havent noticed that we need to have G+ id. but I think it's just the same as Gmail ID since they are connected
Right, of what I miss typed was they actually post back to your Google+ ID page.

Also if you notice there are a lot of reviews now that have ideas it say simply "a Google user". Those are reviews that have been converted because they were posted prior to this new linking to your Google+ ID.
I decided the heck with it I'm just not going to leave any more reviews. I don't want crap on my Google plus page I don't want anything there I don't want any social media.

Last edited by rkw; 03-28-2013 at 11:29 AM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #93
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Right, of what I miss typed was they actually post back to your Google+ ID page.

Also if you notice there are a lot of reviews now that have ideas it say simply "a Google user". Those are reviews that have been converted because they were posted prior to this new linking to your Google+ ID.
I decided the heck with it I'm just not going to leave any more reviews. I don't want crap on my Google plus page I want anything there I want any social media.
You can switch off public visibility of your reviews in your Google+ settings.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #94
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's not strictly the case. Your 'Google+ ID' is your normal Google ID, the one that you have to have to be able to buy apps for your Android advice from the Play store.

Google decided that they didn't want anonymous or nicknamed reviews any more, so changed the rules so that all reviews would be posted under the user's ID - in exactly the same way as this works on, say, Amazon. The list of your reviews on your Google+ page is also a parallel of the reviews list on your public profile on Amazon.

I can't see how this change would encourage non Google+ users to start using it, which seems to be the motive you're ascribing to Google.

Graham
Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #95
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
You can switch off public visibility of your reviews in your Google+ settings.

Graham
We can? Thanks! I looked for that the other day and I didn't find it in there. I'll go hunt it down again. It'll do me good to snoop around in all the settings and see what's wide anyway.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #96
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
We can? Thanks! I looked for that the other day and I didn't find it in there. I'll go hunt it down again. It'll do me good to snoop around in all the settings and see what's wide anyway.
Settings > Profile and Privacy > Edit visibility on profile
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #97
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
Well that's disheartening.. *ponders as to what I can replace it with*
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #98
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love.Forever. View Post
Well that's disheartening.. *ponders as to what I can replace it with*
I've been enjoying Feedly, but for those who want an experience as close to Google Reader as possible, they've released a Chrome extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hrome-ntp-icon

Quote:
Turn Feedly into a Google Reader clone.

Download this extension and get Google Reader back
Graham
Old 05-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #99
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I'm still searching for a replacement android app and it seems most suggestions here and elsewhere are for use in a browser. I don't need much, but I can't find anything that works well for me.

I have to have the ability to read offline. That seems to knock the overwhelming majority off the list.
I want to be able to download when I choose - not when I open the app or any other automatic sync.
I need a dark theme and I need to be able to have a large font size.
I prefer mostly text, but would try any interface at this point if I can read offline.
I also have a problem getting the Philadelphia Inquirer rss feeds to work on most readers. http://www.philly.com/inquirer_front_page.rss is one of them

Here are some that I've tried and liked:
RssDemon works ok and doesn't use Google, but the font size change only sticks if you switch from landscape to portrait or vice versa and the font is too small otherwise. You have to switch for each article you open, so that's a real pain - especially since I read while I am eating lunch. This app was last updated Feb 2012 so I don't see much use in contacting the developer.

FeedMe is nice and simple but it uses Google and when you mark all articles as read it doesn't seem to stick.

JustReader is good, but it requires Google. The description used to say the dev says will switch to another feed manager, but I don't see that anymore so I guess he won't.

I've seen these suggested here, but they can't do offline - NewsBlur, Taptu, Pulse, Feedly

If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 05-25-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #100
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Press? It doesn't have a dark theme (but it's still nice to read on and I'll bet they'll get the dark theme implemented in the coming months), but it works offline, you can turn off the sync, and the font selection stays put.

Limited to Android 4.0+ devices though.

http://twentyfivesquares.com/press/

Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #101
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I'm still searching for a replacement android app and it seems most suggestions here and elsewhere are for use in a browser. I don't need much, but I can't find anything that works well for me.

I have to have the ability to read offline. That seems to knock the overwhelming majority off the list.
I want to be able to download when I choose - not when I open the app or any other automatic sync.
Could you really download to read offline whever you wanted and what you wanted in google reader?

I noticed that I nearly never used the offline reading with the Google Reader app so I am happy with Feedly. I instead try to make sure that I always have net available.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #102
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post

I need a dark theme and I need to be able to have a large font size.
I prefer mostly text, but would try any interface at this point if I can read offline.
I also have a problem getting the Philadelphia Inquirer rss feeds to work on most readers. http://www.philly.com/inquirer_front_page.rss is one of them

Here are some that I've tried and liked:
RssDemon works ok and doesn't use Google, but the font size change only sticks if you switch from landscape to portrait or vice versa and the font is too small otherwise. You have to switch for each article you open, so that's a real pain - especially since I read while I am eating lunch. This app was last updated Feb 2012 so I don't see much use in contacting the developer.

FeedMe is nice and simple but it uses Google and when you mark all articles as read it doesn't seem to stick.

JustReader is good, but it requires Google. The description used to say the dev says will switch to another feed manager, but I don't see that anymore so I guess he won't.

I've seen these suggested here, but they can't do offline - NewsBlur, Taptu, Pulse, Feedly

If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate it.
What do you have in your rss feeds for offline reading majority of the feeds I have mostly always had the topic headline and maybe the first paragraph or so I have to go online to the website to read the whole thing anyway.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #103
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Press? It doesn't have a dark theme (but it's still nice to read on and I'll bet they'll get the dark theme implemented in the coming months), but it works offline, you can turn off the sync, and the font selection stays put.

Limited to Android 4.0+ devices though.

http://twentyfivesquares.com/press/
I'll keep it in mind, but it's paid only and in Google play it says they will have their own syncing soon. I won't pay for future promises. I really do need a dark theme too - my vision goes double when I read on a bright white background. Even white text on black gives me problems, but it's easier to use a gray filter on the screen for that.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #104
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Could you really download to read offline whever you wanted and what you wanted in google reader?

I noticed that I nearly never used the offline reading with the Google Reader app so I am happy with Feedly. I instead try to make sure that I always have net available.
Google Reader didn't have a dark theme so I didn't use that, but Rss Demon, Greader, FeedMe, and JustReader all have offline available in settings. I first sync before leaving the house in the morning and then sync again before lunch. Ever since I got my Galaxy S3, 3g on my Nexus 7 is just way too slow.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 05-25-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #105
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
What do you have in your rss feeds for offline reading majority of the feeds I have mostly always had the topic headline and maybe the first paragraph or so I have to go online to the website to read the whole thing anyway.
Rss Demon, Greader, FeedMe, and JustReader all have offline available in settings and I get the whole article. I have some Google news feeds, Yahoo news feeds, Philadelphia Inquirer feeds, The Digital Reader, Calibre change log, and Apprentice Alf. All give me the whole article.