Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Restart v Soft Reset v Hard Reset

Hello Hardware-Techy Types,

Does anyone know what the technical difference is between doing a simple Shutdown/Restart v Soft Reset (sticking a pokey thing in the reset hole) v Hard Reset (pressing special button combinations)?

Does Soft Reset simply restart your reader after it's frozen, or does it do more, technically speaking, than Shutdown/Restart? Rebuild databases? Clear memory or caches? etc.?

Why does the Sony support site say you should only do a Hard Reset as a last resort? Can it harm your Reader in any way?

Is it good practice to occasionally Shutdown/Restart or Soft Reset your reader? Does that achieve any sort of preventive maintenance to prevent future problems?

Thanks for any insight!

P.S. I have a T1 and PRS-350, but I think this question can apply to all models.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Soft reset just restarts (but doesn't always work) when the reader has frozen up.
Hard reset clears out all your books...
That is why you would start with the soft reset first and avoid the hard unless nothing else works.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Back up yer content.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(nevermind)

Last edited by pssquirrel; 05-06-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Actually, I'm asking this for reasons of preventive maintenance. Wondering if Restart or Soft Reset or Hard Reset performs any helpful "housekeeping" functions that might help prevent problems, such as the T1's "spinning arrow" crash. Thoughts anyone?
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
A "hard reset" will reset everything to factory defaults and will delete all added stuff ... books,notes .. etc, there is no real difference between a soft reset and a power-off/on, a soft reset/power off/on reloads the device software it retains all current settingsA soft reset power off/on can clear a lot of problems but a hard reset is a desperate measure that should be reserved for desperate times when all else fails... personally I recycle the power about once a week or after a charge... I dunno if it does any good but I have not had the problems that some have had with the T1freezing etc I also clean the screen with a glass cleaner once a week....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Thanks! This is very helpful. If you hadn't guessed from my revised post above, I got the spinning arrow freeze on my T1 last night, requiring a soft reset with a pokey thing (not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless).

Just so I'm clear, when you say you "recycle" the power, you mean full power off (device shut-down) then power back on?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Yes full power off wait a minute and then on again seems to do the same job as a (paperclip) sofr e\reset
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Thanks much! This is very helpful. I'll give this "preventive maintenance" a try.