Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
eezergoode
eezergoode began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
ISBN ending in X?

I've noticed a small problem with Calibre, with the rare ISBN number ending in X.

Instead of giving me a check mark in the ISBN column, it displays the ISBN in full. Not a huge problem, and other than that, I am in love with this program. I was just wondering if maybe I was doing something wrong, or if calibre doesn't recognize ISBN numbers ending in X?

Although not common, it IS a legitimate ISBN number... http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/i.../isbnqa.asp#Q5
eezergoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezergoode View Post
I've noticed a small problem with Calibre, with the rare ISBN number ending in X.

Instead of giving me a check mark in the ISBN column, it displays the ISBN in full.
I am running calibre 0.8.17 and I as far as I can see I don't have an ISBN column with or without check marks. I'm curious, how are you populating the column?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Instead of giving me a check mark in the ISBN column, it displays the ISBN in full. Not a huge problem, and other than that, I am in love with this program. I was just wondering if maybe I was doing something wrong, or if calibre doesn't recognize ISBN numbers ending in X?

Although not common, it IS a legitimate ISBN number... http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/i.../isbnqa.asp#Q5
X is a valid Mod11 check digit.
Calibre will accept ISBN-10 with a X (when it belongs ) in the last place.

BTW Is this happening in a Custom column

I have not (yet) seen the visual artifact you mentioned. I think Metadata lookup usually replaces it with a ISBN-13 in most cases.

Last edited by theducks; 09-06-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Custom ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
eezergoode

@dwanthny :

It is the standard ISBN column, if you aren't seeing it, you may not have it enabled, or it could be off the right edge of your screen.

@theducks

Well, since I just downloaded and installed Calibre, I'm assuming I have the most recent version (as of three days ago), so I am guessing that the isbn itself is not valid.... I've only found the problem with e-book exclusive titles.

An example is 'Book of Days' by Sara Reinke, ISBN 1-55404-295-X according to the book itself.

EDIT: Well, that book is no longer an issue, dug around and found an ISBN-13 for it, for some reason it was nowhere to be found in the metadata search. I've a theory now that possibly Calibre doesn't like the X ending and automatically chooses the ISBN 13 in those cases... when it is not able to find it is when i get the problem. On a side not, I feel ripped off.. I found the book for over a dollar less than I paid during my search for the ISBN

Last edited by eezergoode; 09-06-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: 'cause I'm an idiot
Old 09-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@dwanthny : It is the standard ISBN column, if you aren't seeing it, you may not have it enabled, or it could be off the right edge of your screen.
When I review (see attached) the list of calibre and user defined columns I don't see a "standard" ISBN column and I couldn't have deleted it since calibre doesn't let you delete non-user defined columns.

Update: I took a second and looked around, calibre does not have a ISBN column by default but under create custom column it does have a "quick create" feature to allow you to create a custom column called ISBN. So I don't have it because I never created a custom column for ISBN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	columns.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	76211  
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@dwanthny :

It is the standard ISBN column, if you aren't seeing it, you may not have it enabled, or it could be off the right edge of your screen.

@theducks

Well, since I just downloaded and installed Calibre, I'm assuming I have the most recent version (as of three days ago), so I am guessing that the isbn itself is not valid.... I've only found the problem with e-book exclusive titles.

An example is 'Book of Days' by Sara Reinke, ISBN 1-55404-295-X according to the book itself.

EDIT: Well, that book is no longer an issue, dug around and found an ISBN-13 for it, for some reason it was nowhere to be found in the metadata search. I've a theory now that possibly Calibre doesn't like the X ending and automatically chooses the ISBN 13 in those cases... when it is not able to find it is when i get the problem. On a side not, I feel ripped off.. I found the book for over a dollar less than I paid during my search for the ISBN
Hmm! Calibre computes (green color) the ISBN as correct, but the search does not find it. You might submit a bug report of Fetch Metadata on ISBN 10 ending in X
Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hmm! Calibre computes (green color) the ISBN as correct, but the search does not find it. You might submit a bug report of Fetch Metadata on ISBN 10 ending in X
I created a empty book and used that isbn and the only metadata hit was from Barnes and Noble, Book of Days by Sara Reinke. Upon download of the metadata the isbn was changed to 9781554042951. Downloading again with this isbn gathered metadata from the usual suspects.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I created a empty book and used that isbn and the only metadata hit was from Barnes and Noble, Book of Days by Sara Reinke. Upon download of the metadata the isbn was changed to 9781554042951. Downloading again with this isbn gathered metadata from the usual suspects.
Hmmm. I got an No Metadata error. Must be a West Coast vs South-east coast thing
Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Hmmm. I got an No Metadata error. Must be a West Coast vs South-east coast thing
More likely, dwannthy has the B&N plugin and you do not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
More likely, dwannthy has the B&N plugin and you do not.
Bingo! I won't buy from B&N (which now leaves me with NO DT Bookstore in the area), which is why I would not have installed the PI.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Bingo! I won't buy from B&N (which now leaves me with NO DT Bookstore in the area), which is why I would not have installed the PI.
You don't need to buy from them to use their metadata or covers.

For metadata I have Amazon, B&N, Fantastic Fiction and Goodreads checked.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
eezergoode

Hmm.. I don't recall ever creating an ISBN column, but I guess thta must be what I did. <shrug>.

I don't have the BN plugin either, I may have to look into it. I don't usually shop at BN either, but I'm all for anything that gives me more info on my books.

And just want to add what a great community this is. Most of the forums I frequent are gaming forums, and even though a lot of the people are great, there are also a lot of... less than awesome people there.

Last edited by eezergoode; 09-08-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

ISBN (actually, it is now called Id's) is in the Metadata-edit screen. Some folk want to stare at ONLY an ISBN and have created a column which can also be populated from data extracted from ID's using REGEX part of the Search and Replace tab.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Some folk want to stare at ONLY an ISBN and have created a column which can also be populated from data extracted from ID's using REGEX part of the Search and Replace tab.
FYI, No fancy regex required, the Custom Column Quick create (part of calibre) uses the following simple template

{identifiers:select(isbn)}

to populate the column.