Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #16
kkarthik
kkarthik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Project Madurai

Project Madurai's TSCII files seem to render very poorly (huge left margins) once converted by Calibre ... did anyone else experience the same problem?

Last edited by kkarthik; 03-03-2011 at 11:46 PM.
kkarthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #17
murali
murali began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkarthik View Post
Project Madurai's TSCII files seem to render very poorly (huge left margins) once converted by Calibre ... did anyone else experience the same problem?
Hi Karthik,

Do you have a file that you are particularly looking at? I will try to run it through Calibre as well..
murali is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #18
maheshwaran
maheshwaran began at the beginning.

Hai, you can find the Tamil mobi books encoded by me in this URL

<link removed by moderator>

Moderator Notice
So we can, but we can also find copyrighted material that is not legal for downloading.

MobileRead is opposed to ebook piracy, and we remove links to sites carrying pirated material.

In the future, please insure that links you post point to books that may be legitimately downloaded by our users. Failure to do so can result in your access to MobileRead being removed.

Thank you for your cooperation.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 03-10-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Pointer to copyrighted material removed
maheshwaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
kkarthik
kkarthik began at the beginning.

Thank you for your reply Murali. I tried to convert the 3rd part of Parthiban Kanavu from Project Madurai to Mobi format. The following steps led to a better outcome and are listed below for the benefit of everyone:

1) Download the pmtsc###.html file from Project Madurai for the text in question (that is, the TSCII version of the book. I was unable to convert any native unicode file to tscii and then to mobi - got rendered as gibberish all the time on my Kindle 3)

2) Open the html file in Word (tested on Word 2007)

3) tweak the margins (.2" on all four sides works well) under page layout

4) Change "center" justification to "left" justification for the entire document

5) Adjust indentation on the left margin to the bare minimum for the whole document - any indentation in the HTML file seems to filter into the mobi file. This was tricky and took several iterations to get right. Save the file.

6) Convert the html file saved in (5) using the unicode2tscii converter, uploaded by Murali on this thread.

7) Import the converted html file into Calibre and convert to mobi format using only the default settings.

8) Upload mobi file to Kindle and enjoy!

P.S. Parthiban Kanavu Part 3 attached - the table of contents rendered poorly so all links were disabled.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Parthiban Kanavu - Part 3 - Kalki.mobi (285.5 KB, 562 views)

Last edited by kkarthik; 04-11-2011 at 12:10 PM.
kkarthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
makkumatre
makkumatre began at the beginning.

I just finished both Sivagamiyin Sabadam and Parthiban Kanavu on my Kindle and it appears perfectly well!
I had posted this before, but this is how I did it:
1. Open the unicode version of the html file in projectmadurai site.
2. Copy to Open Office->Writer (you need to install OpenOffice)
3. Select all, increase font size to 15, set font to Latha. (or anything else that can render it)
4. Go to 'File->Export as pdf'.

Now, you can load this pdf into your kindle and start reading! The rendering was perfect, as good as any ebook I have bought on Amazon.
makkumatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #21
saisriram
saisriram began at the beginning.

Hi Murli,

I have followed all the instructions mentioned in this forum for enabling tamil font. I downloaded Parthiban Kanavu & Ponniyin Selvan and copied it to my Kindle. It shows some junk characters. But the title 'பார்த்திபன் கனவு’ is showing properly. Could you please help me to resolve this?

I have Kindle 3G + WIFI and updated it with version 3.1.

Thanks,
Sriram
saisriram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #22
murali
murali began at the beginning.

Hi Sriram,

Is your typeface set to "Regular"?

Murali
murali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #23
saisriram
saisriram began at the beginning.

Thanks Murali for the information. After setting typeface to Regular, the text is showing in Tamil.

Thanks,
Sriram
saisriram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #24
sathya_hi
sathya_hi began at the beginning.

Converting to mobi

Dear Murali and kkarthik,

Thanks a lot for the work that you have done here. I love to see tamizh in my Kindle

Dear Kkarthik,

I followed the steps that you have posted in the attached quoted text. I could get the file to be read in kindle but the whole text is centered. I followed the indentation and the alignment part exactly as you said. I changed the indentation using the ruler. Is there something that I am missing? Did you get the same problem?

Also, is there a way to check whether the file has been properly converted before transferring to Kindle? It's really annoying to connect, transfer, remove and check, then, repeat this process over and over again.

Once again, thanks.

Rgds,
Sathya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkarthik View Post
Thank you for your reply Murali. I tried to convert the 3rd part of Parthiban Kanavu from Project Madurai to Mobi format. The following steps led to a better outcome and are listed below for the benefit of everyone:

1) Download the pmtsc###.html file from Project Madurai for the text in question (that is, the TSCII version of the book. I was unable to convert any native unicode file to tscii and then to mobi - got rendered as gibberish all the time on my Kindle 3)

2) Open the html file in Word (tested on Word 2007)

3) tweak the margins (.2" on all four sides works well) under page layout

4) Change "center" justification to "left" justification for the entire document

5) Adjust indentation on the left margin to the bare minimum for the whole document - any indentation in the HTML file seems to filter into the mobi file. This was tricky and took several iterations to get right. Save the file.

6) Convert the html file saved in (5) using the unicode2tscii converter, uploaded by Murali on this thread.

7) Import the converted html file into Calibre and convert to mobi format using only the default settings.

8) Upload mobi file to Kindle and enjoy!

P.S. Parthiban Kanavu Part 3 attached - the table of contents rendered poorly so all links were disabled.
sathya_hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #25
Kkalai
Kkalai began at the beginning.

Dear Murali and Karthik,

I am trying to convert a word/pdf document in adhawin tamil font into Mobi format. I am not able to do... I am using K3 with Font Jailbreak. Can you please help me how to do this... Word Document source, 4000 Divya Prabandam's Mudal Ayiram from http://mahadesika.50megs.com/4000pdf.htm Please help us...Thanks
Kkalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #26
sarang
sarang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
@Kkalai:
I have converted many tamil books including 4000 divyaprabandam in kindle friendly pdf format from a original unicode format. Please see my post #9 in this thread. If page size is set correctly for portrait and landscape modes before conversion, the document can be read without zooming or scrolling.
sarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #27
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarang View Post
@Kkalai:
I have converted many tamil books including 4000 divyaprabandam in kindle friendly pdf format from a original unicode format. Please see my post #9 in this thread. If page size is set correctly for portrait and landscape modes before conversion, the document can be read without zooming or scrolling.
http://blog.chrasty.cz/kindle-sender...-documents-and may help: Kindle Sender 1.3 - Convert Word documents and send them to Kindle, automatically.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #28
sarang
sarang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Thanks thomass. I will give it a try.
sarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 AM   #29
vvk
vvk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hello ,
I have 3.0.2 and I installed this but the tamil characters are not being displayed properly.I couldnot figure where I am going wrong.This is how I did it

1.copied the src folder and update_*_install.bin file corresponding to my version in the root folder.

2.placed the fertigo tamil folder in the root folder .

And how do I change the typeface? BTW I have duokan installed in my kindle.Will that affect this in any way ?

Thanks

Last edited by vvk; 10-26-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: spelling
vvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #30
krishvr
krishvr began at the beginning.

Hack doesnt work with Kindle 2nd Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by murali View Post
It should be. Read the Fonts hack thread on installing custom fonts, and then simply use the font I provided here on top of the fonts provided there. That should do the trick.

This method simply uses ansi characters and doesnt require the advanced shaping supports the current Tamil Unicode requires. So it should technically work on K2 as well.

I dont have one, so cannot confirm the support though...
I followed all the steps. I could get the parthiban kanavu book with the text displaying in tamil name adjacent to it. However, when i load the book, jumbled characters are displayed. Kindle 2nd generation doesnt provide option to change the typeface. When i use Aa key in the keyboard, i can only change font size, orientation but not typeface. Is there anyway, i can set typeface to regular in Kindle 2nd generation key board device?
krishvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, tamil, tscii, unicode