Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #76
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I've been playing around with Pulse and it seems to do a reasonable job. Not all that keen on the far more visual look, but I think I can learn to live with it. Appreciate that they don't need any special plugins to work in the browser.

Now I just need to figure out how to add a specific RSS feed. Seems you just plug it in the search bar, but that doesn't result in a 100% match.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #77
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I've been playing around with Pulse and it seems to do a reasonable job. Not all that keen on the far more visual look, but I think I can learn to live with it. Appreciate that they don't need any special plugins to work in the browser.

Now I just need to figure out how to add a specific RSS feed. Seems you just plug it in the search bar, but that doesn't result in a 100% match.
I love the visual look and use Pulse on a daily basis.

As to content, I just use the sources Pulse provides; and am quite happy with the choices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #78
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Looking at the options, feedly seems like a decent one providing their api is good enough because realistically the benefit for me is more that it has an app that supports it on my phone.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #79
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I love the visual look and use Pulse on a daily basis.

As to content, I just use the sources Pulse provides; and am quite happy with the choices.
Think it's just me needing to get used to it. Think once I've got everything set up like I want its going to work perfectly.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #80
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I can't see how this can be the case.

At the moment, although Google+ offers groups and communities it doesn't give you a way to track the same content that you can subscribe to through Reader, so there'd be no reason to start using Google+.

I can see them adding such a feature, which would be great as I like Google+, but if there was currently a way I assume they'd have highlighted it at the same time as announcing that Reader was shutting down.

Graham
I thought it might be a possibility because of a number of stories I have read such as this one: Former Google Reader product manager confirms our suspicions: Its demise is all about Google+

But then I don't know anything about Google+ as I have no account. And perhaps the stories such as the one cited above are incorrect.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #81
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Think it's just me needing to get used to it. Think once I've got everything set up like I want its going to work perfectly.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a better way of doing feeds. It just happens to be the way I prefer it. I use it mostly to get science and nature articles. When I want more in depth articles, I turn to Zinio to get full magazines from my library.

Pulse and Zinio are a great combination. Between the two, all of my magazine reading is free.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #82
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
I will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Feedly currently uses Google reader for it's backend and are going to have to roll out their own backend to replace it. I would expect there to be hiccups. I also read that Digg is going to build a backend that is API compatible with Google reader.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #83
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
I will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Feedly currently uses Google reader for it's backend and are going to have to roll out their own backend to replace it. I would expect there to be hiccups. I also read that Digg is going to build a backend that is API compatible with Google reader.
Feedly supposedly already has their backend (Normandy) working, and has been working on it for the past year. As far as I can tell with Digg, they've done nothing but post that they're going to build something. Given the time and complexity, I'm going to bet on Feedly over Digg.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #84
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Btw, this doesn't seem like a good way to get people to trust the cloud, pulling the plug on niche services. Message they are sending is don't depend on any free google service. Maybe that is the point. If you don't pay, you better pray.

I think they'll get into the same problem network tv has. People hold off on watching new shows, esp those with long continuing story lines, because they don't want to get invested in a show that will just get canceled. Of course then the new shows get lousy ratings and do get canceled.

Last edited by Barty; 03-24-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #85
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Btw, this doesn't seem like a good way to get people to trust the cloud, pulling the plug on niche services. Message they are sending is don't depend on any free google service. Maybe that is the point. If you don't pay, you better pray.

I think they'll get into the same problem network tv has. People hold off on watching new shows, esp those with long continuing story lines, because they don't want to get invested in a show that will just get canceled. Of course then the new shows get lousy ratings and do get canceled.
I'm starting to think this way also. I depend a lot on gmail (but not calendar and other of their services although I do sporadically use G+) and am beginning to think I may start looking around for a paid account not associated with my net provider.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #86
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm starting to think this way also. I depend a lot on gmail (but not calendar and other of their services although I do sporadically use G+) and am beginning to think I may start looking around for a paid account not associated with my net provider.
There will always be disruption in services. What is important is that you can export your information and convert it for use in a new service. And for that aspect I trust Google more than other providers.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #87
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Netvibes - my feeds vanished today!

EDIT: I found my dashboard hidden! They rearranged everything...I had problems logging in earlier today, I guess all google reader users are switching somewhere...

obsolete:
I don't know if this is connected with google reader soon passing away, but all my feeds on Netvibes vanished today. I had many news from various countries following, with tabs for each country etc and it's all gone.
Does anybody use Netvibes and can share experience? Is this related to google reader?

Last edited by jmilica; 03-25-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: found out I still have the feeds
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #88
alphysudaria143
alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What a bad news! how about us? specially for the writers? they need to read for them to make a new article. Tsk. we have nothing to do if thats happen
alphysudaria143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #89
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
obsolete:
I don't know if this is connected with google reader soon passing away, but all my feeds on Netvibes vanished today. I had many news from various countries following, with tabs for each country etc and it's all gone.
Does anybody use Netvibes and can share experience? Is this related to google reader?
I use Netvibes and didn't have that experience so I am not thinking that there is a connection. Netvibes is working same as it always has for me.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #90
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
It seems to me as if this is an attempt to integrate people more closely into "googleworld" (or whatever one wishes to call it), in the sense that people who haven't done so will sign up for Google+ (which I guess is not doing so well). Doesn't it have some kind of mechanism that allows people to follow or track sites? Or is Reader simply being integrated into Google+? I have read different things.
As an aside I noticed the last night when trying to rate an app on GooglePlay, to leave feedback for an app you have to have a Google+ ID.

So maybe you're on the something right there, Google+ is just not doing that well and Google wants everything to flow through there from now on.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote