Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #61
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
For now I am trying out BazQux reader. It looks the most like the Reader interface and imported all of my feeds into their folders. The useability is very similar, although there are a few features it's missing. But at least all my feeds are there, and I can read them.

It does have some nice extra features, like the ability to load full posts on many blogs that show you only the first paragraph initially. You can also opt to have it show comments on posts.

It's free for 30 days to try, then $9 a year (minimum, you can pay more if you want). I think I'll be using this, at least for now.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #62
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've decided to go independent, more or less, on my Mac and iOS devices. On the mac, its Vienna, and on iOS its Newsrack. Both of these can have feeds added independent of an aggregator. There's also a Newsrack for Mac but I dont think theres any sync between them. If there were, I would look no further.

As an aside, for those of you who run Wordpress blogs, there is a Wordpress reader which can import your [G] feeds (well it can import any .opml or .xml formatted feeds). Its not bad. I still prefer Vienna, I can get the number of articles I want, instead of the restricted numbers on some of the current web services.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 03-15-2013 at 05:32 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #63
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
I used to use Google Reader until they made some changes, hmm, some time ago. Switched to Newsblur and use the "scoring"-mechanism there quite a bit, especially handy with feeds having multiple authors or tags where I only want to follow a subset. I use Blar on android, works fine. I don't bother with share-buttons, as I hang on IRC. Copy+paste is good enough for me.

I've been testing out flipboard: completely different idea. I don't want a newspaper that needs to be browsed, I want to quickly skim and mark-read headlines, then spend some time on the remainder. I got my habits from Usenet and very active mailinglists: sort, filter, killfile or be overwhelmed.

With the slowdown at Newsblur yesterday I opened my wallet, as Newsblur provides me with stuff to read when inbetween books or interesting programming projects. And I... Need... Input! I have all the stuff I need to run a copy of Newsblur but I'm not gonna, it'll take time I don't want to spend.
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #64
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
For me the value of Google Reader was that it had become the default backend for RSS readers, so I could have BlackBerry, IOS and web readers that all used the same backend, and so all shared read/unread information. I'm not sure how to achieve that now.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #65
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I checked out Feedly and it seems pretty good...
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #66
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
For me the value of Google Reader was that it had become the default backend for RSS readers, so I could have BlackBerry, IOS and web readers that all used the same backend, and so all shared read/unread information. I'm not sure how to achieve that now.
Ditto.

I don't want to move on yet. I want to b&tch and moan uselessly a little while longer
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #67
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
It seems to me as if this is an attempt to integrate people more closely into "googleworld" (or whatever one wishes to call it), in the sense that people who haven't done so will sign up for Google+ (which I guess is not doing so well). Doesn't it have some kind of mechanism that allows people to follow or track sites? Or is Reader simply being integrated into Google+? I have read different things.

If so, I guess this makes perfect sense from Google's point of view. After all, doesn't the company ideally want to be able to keep track of everything everyone does for the purpose of displaying targeted ads? So get everyone (or as many people as possible) to go with Chrome, Android Marketplace and Google+.

In any event, it appears as if there are many alternatives. I guess the problem is deciding on which one. At least it is possible to export/backup Reader data.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #68
iReaderReview
Banned
iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I don't understand why people ever think these online petitions work. They don't. People have been doing them in one form or another for probably the past 15 or more years, yet I can't point to a single one that has ever worked. This one isn't going to work, either.

So go ahead, sign the petition. Make your voice "heard". Google's not going to reverse direction.

Toddos, it's because

1) It makes people feel good. They're at least doing something.

2) It gets their voice heard.

3) Sometimes it works. Example: Netflix rolling back on their changes.

People don't equate it as 'No petition has ever worked'. They equate it as - Making your voice heard works sometimes. A petition is a way to get your voice heard.

Google is doing a lot of damage to itself by cutting off services one by one. We used the Google weather API as an option in one of our Apps and by cutting that off they affected users who liked to Get Google Weather.

Plus they did it without any notice at all.

They've also been making a lot of changes in other APIs over the years. All very randomly.

Since they don't charge they can get away with all this random ending of services and APIs.

But it's not good for people who use the services.
iReaderReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #69
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
It seems to me as if this is an attempt to integrate people more closely into "googleworld" (or whatever one wishes to call it), in the sense that people who haven't done so will sign up for Google+ (which I guess is not doing so well).
I can't see how this can be the case.

At the moment, although Google+ offers groups and communities it doesn't give you a way to track the same content that you can subscribe to through Reader, so there'd be no reason to start using Google+.

I can see them adding such a feature, which would be great as I like Google+, but if there was currently a way I assume they'd have highlighted it at the same time as announcing that Reader was shutting down.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #70
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReaderReview View Post
3) Sometimes it works. Example: Netflix rolling back on their changes.
Or Microsoft changing the Office EULA. Or Instagram changing their "we own your pictures" EULA. If there's enough outcry, things change, but it's usually when the outcry is likely to turn into lost sales or lost revenue.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #71
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I use Gwene.org which converts RSS/Atom feeds into news items accessible by any NNTP reader. Very old skool but works like a charm with email readers that support NNTP (aka USENET or newsgroups).
Unless NNTP has evolved in later years, you don't get any server side read status/newsrc, so then you don't have sync between various clients/devices -- unless you have it redirected to IMAP or something ...
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #72
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
What's the difference between Google Reader and Google Currents?
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #73
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Currents is a competitor to Zite or Flipboard. You plug in a few interests (wine, technology, fashion) and it spits out articles that are ranked by an algorithm in order of their popularity and pertinence. It's essentially a suggestion engine.

Reader was an RSS organizer. You had to subscribe to a website's feed and you would receive all of that website's posts in your inbox as they were published. Much more user-driven.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #74
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I don't understand why people ever think these online petitions work. They don't. People have been doing them in one form or another for probably the past 15 or more years, yet I can't point to a single one that has ever worked. This one isn't going to work, either.

So go ahead, sign the petition. Make your voice "heard". Google's not going to reverse direction.
The one to Bank of America to drop debit card monthly fees worked. I believe that was December 2011. Just sayin'
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #75
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
I just migrated to Netvibes because its feed view matches that of GReader, it uses almost all the same short cuts, and despite an earlier post in this thread, you don't need to switch to widget view to manage feeds.

I am also making good use of my IfTTT account to pick up some of the slack GReader provides but Netvibes doesn't.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote