Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #61
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
well i got tired of waiting for the DX update and installed Duokan on my DX-graphite.

works a treat, has all the K3 PDF features plus more. can darken the PDFs with 6 levels of graduation and read in a number of different ways including split columns. it's also got far more control over cropping, so you can move the white borders on PDFs without sending the text outside the margins.

it's really easy to install and picks up you existing Kindle library, so no need to duplicate files. the great thing is it's dual boot so i can swap beetwen this and standard firmware.
Maybe that's the reason there's no update from Amazon.
They know Duokan is available so why should they update their firmware
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #62
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Quote:
well i got tired of waiting for the DX update and installed Duokan on my DX-graphite.

works a treat, has all the K3 PDF features plus more. can darken the PDFs with 6 levels of graduation and read in a number of different ways including split columns. it's also got far more control over cropping, so you can move the white borders on PDFs without sending the text outside the margins.

it's really easy to install and picks up you existing Kindle library, so no need to duplicate files. the great thing is it's dual boot so i can swap beetwen this and standard firmware.
WOW. That sounds awesome. Could you point to the installation manual? And can you easily uninstall it if needed?
Thanks!
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #63
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
WOW. That sounds awesome. Could you point to the installation manual? And can you easily uninstall it if needed?
Thanks!
just go here and follow the instructions...it's very straightforward.

http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duo...ish-gui-today/

yes, the Duokan OS has an uninstall option right there in the main menus should you wish to remove it. as far as i know it doesn't interfere with your normal Kindle firmware at all so no issues with Amazon

you can swap between Duokan or Kindle firmware simply by restarting and hitting a button when prompted. easy.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #64
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Quote:
just go here and follow the instructions...it's very straightforward.

http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duo...ish-gui-today/

yes, the Duokan OS has an uninstall option right there in the main menus should you wish to remove it. as far as i know it doesn't interfere with your normal Kindle firmware at all so no issues with Amazon

you can swap between Duokan or Kindle firmware simply by restarting and hitting a button when prompted. easy.
Thanks. It looks straightforward. By any chance do you know if it supports other encodings? It definitely supports Chinese but what about Cyrillic and others? I tried implementing jailbreak hack and got Cyrillic working but i didn't like the the look and eventually just uninstalled the Jailbreak. I know Kindle 3 comes with Cyrillic support but DXG is a pain.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #65
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
Thanks. It looks straightforward. By any chance do you know if it supports other encodings? It definitely supports Chinese but what about Cyrillic and others? I tried implementing jailbreak hack and got Cyrillic working but i didn't like the the look and eventually just uninstalled the Jailbreak. I know Kindle 3 comes with Cyrillic support but DXG is a pain.
i've no idea dude
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert