Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #31
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Jswinden, I see what you were mentioning before. Yes, you are correct.

As far as the Kindle DXG now appearing inferior to the new Kindle as far as features are concerned, I agree in a sense. However, the smaller display of the Kindle 3 is definitely a deal breaker for me. I am going to be reading a whole bunch of documents that do not display correctly on the smaller displays.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #32
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
Oh sure, there's no getting away from that, if you need the larger screen then the DXG is the way to go, I just find it curious they felt the screen size alone is now enough to warrant the price premium.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #33
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

I agree with you on that. Now, in my opinion, I think it is very, very unlikely that there is a new large display Kindle DX (DX version 3) ready to be released soon. Of course, the probability is not zero but it is very low in my opinion. I think that won't happen until next year. Even if the DXG does not meet my needs and I would have no choice but to send it back, the new Kindle 3 will never meet my needs no matter how many features it brings. So, unless there is a new DX getting ready to be shipped out in a couple of months, I have absolutely nothing to lose.

I also think that Amazon will release updates to give the DX models the new features available in the new Kindle.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #34
zetareticuli
Addict

Guys, I received a call from a supervisor from Amazon Kindle support. I had called and left a message this morning just before I was able to get a hold of someone. Basically, I was asking the same question. Whether the Kindle DXG will get the improved PDF functionality that is on the new Kindles. I pushed for an answer by mentioning that I would return the Kindle DXG if I did not get a response. Like the previous gentleman I spoke with, this gentleman was very polite, listened to my concerns, etc. Here it goes: He assured me that there would be updates for the Kindle DXG to include the PDF functionality. He did not know about the previous generation DXs but he did say there was a possibility for that too. Now, this information is completely unofficial and he might have just said so that I wouldn't return the DXG. However, I find it improbable that two independent individuals would be lying about something as trivial as this. I think this reinforces the notion that the existing DX will be updated with the new features as well.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #35
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Guys,

As many of you know, I ordered a Kindle DXG yesterday. Then the new Kindle was released with the new PDF functionality. I have been trying to get a hold of someone at Amazon who could answer the question if the DXG would get the same functionality of the new Kindle via updates. After several tries, I finally got hold of a supervisor. I told her I had just ordered a Kindle DXG and wanted to know if the new PDF features would be added to the DXG. If not I wanted to cancel my order. She put me on hold for 30 minutes until I finanlly got to speak to a gentleman who after putting me on hold for anouther 20 minutes confirmed that yes, the new features will be available for the DXG as well. He did not have an exact time frame for it but he assurred me "the information I just got for you right now has come from ver reliable sources so yes, itis a done deal". The gentleman appeared very honest and even gave me his contact information if I had any more questions and concerns.

I just wanted to give you DX Graphite owners a heads up on this.
That is no wonder. The firmware is very similar.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #36
johnpdoe
johnpdoe began at the beginning.

Device: none
I sent the support guys an email as well.

I am not going to return my DXG, as I am happy happy happy with it. But I would like to be 100% sure that this features will be present in the near future, as I read mostly PDF.

I'll post the reply.
johnpdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #37
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I've been away from the kindle ecosystem a bit and have just returned with the purchase of a DXG. I'm a little confused by the concerns on software updates. To my knowledge Amazon has kept the software functionality between their devices as identical as possible while differentiating on the hardware with screen size and memory. Why would we expect anything different this time around. To me it seems extremely likely that the new firmware is just not yet done and will roll out around the time of the k3 launch.

It seems like the DXG not getting the features is all just unfounded speculation, while the likelihood of it getting the update is based on Amazon's historical track record so far with software updates which has the devices at parity.

Last edited by Mr. Goodbar; 07-30-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #38
jswinden
Nameless Being

I too just returned to using Kindle. I started out with a K2 then drifted over to the Sony readers (505, 300, 600, and 900). Sony never updated the firmware for any of their readers while I owned them. But Amazon is known for updating their firmware fairly often. With Sony expect your firmware to be something like version 1.00.02. With a Kindle DXG I think it is firmware 2.5.5. I'm totally confident in Amazon's commitment to keep their released hardware up to date.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #39
johnpdoe

mmmmmm.

I just got a reply from the Customer Services. My email was asking if the enhanced pdf capabilities were going to be available to the Kindle DX Graphite with future software updates.

The reply:

Quote:
Hello,

Kindle DX you ordered doesn't have the enhanced PDF Reader and we don't have any information about software updates as we've not announced anything regarding this yet.

However, you can return your Kindle DX and place an order for K3. Once your return is processed we'll issue refund.

yadda yadda yadda.... to return your kindle..... yadda yadda yadda
They seem to have no clue. I encourage all currently kindle owners concerned about this to contact them these days asking the same thing, so they're forced to clarify this issue.

BTW, I sent another email asking to double check it. Maybe it reaches another Customer Service representative and his 8-ball says "yes" this time
Old 07-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #40
jswinden
Nameless Being

You guys are probably wasting your time attempting to get info from CS. Those folks are scripted and usually kept in the dark. Quite often the CS people are contractors rather than full employees. Every time you talk to a different CS person you will probably get a different answer. We must patiently await any official announcements. Anything else is pure speculation.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #41
zetareticuli
Addict

I agree 100%. These are scripted answers and these people have no clue other than what has been previously scripted for them. It took me a long time and a lot of pushing to be able to get a hold of someone who could answer. I think I got an accurate answer twice but until an official announcement is made or the new firmware is out, it is all speculation and third-party information. What I do know for a fact is that there is no technical limitation that prevents the DX from having these enhancements.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #42
johnpdoe

I agree, but I have lost Jeff Bezo's mobile number, so these guys are the only information source I can reach. Maybe a good soul, if he receives 1000 emails asking the same thing, takes the phone and calls someone who actually can give him updates.

I would like to know for a fact if the product I received 3 days ago is going to have these features or not, so I can decide what to do with it.

Obviously the internal decision about if the DX will or won't have these features has already been made. Somebody knows it And somebody knows who knows it.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #43
BigReader
BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BigReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs 505, Kindle DXG
Smile To be heard is IMPORTANT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpdoe View Post
I agree, but I have lost Jeff Bezo's mobile number, so these guys are the only information source I can reach. Maybe a good soul, if he receives 1000 emails asking the same thing, takes the phone and calls someone who actually can give him updates.

I would like to know for a fact if the product I received 3 days ago is going to have these features or not, so I can decide what to do with it.

Obviously the internal decision about if the DX will or won't have these features has already been made. Somebody knows it And somebody knows who knows it.
Yes, I agree! The only leverage consumers have is to complaint or ask refund. The companies are no charity entities. And we have to pust them to do things in our favor.

Let's keep jamming their CS email box.
BigReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #44
manalesar
manalesar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX 2 Graphite
Any news on this ? It's been quite a long time since "zetareticuli" got his 1st info about adding PDF improvements to DXG, and still no official info....

Last edited by manalesar; 09-19-2010 at 01:15 PM.
manalesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #45
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalesar View Post
Any news on this ? It's been quite a long time since "zetareticuli" got his 1st info about adding PDF improvements to DXG, and still no official info....
I suspect that if we get these improvements it will be after they iron out any important problems with the K3s.