Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
TrendyGuy
TrendyGuy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook 3G, Kobo
The Overdrive/Library Question

I have been asking on the B&N eBook forums for two days now if the Nook is going to work with Overdrive/Libraries. Each time they respond with a very vague answer:

Quote:
Any content that does not come from B&N has to be loaded manually to nook using the USB connection. nook accepts only the format types specified in the first message in this thread.

nook accepts EPUB, PDB and PDF files for reading, MP3s for audio, and JPG, GIF, PNG, or BMP for screensavers.
But would I want to know is if the Nook will be able to read the DRM on the ePub and PDF files from Overdrive. That is the question they aren't answering. It seems the people answering questions don't really know many answers so they keep beating around the bush.

The only reason I want and ebook reader is to use it with my library. I don't like the Sony Readers and this is the first decently priced reader that looks like it can do that. I have no plans to ever purchase content on their ebook store or anyone elses ebook store. I would consider it though if prices came down drastically, even Amazon prices are too high for me.
TrendyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It would be nice if someone at B&N with an actual Nook could just go ahead are try accessing an Overdrive ebook.

There are now many different mobile ADE devices, and so far as I can tell they all support Adobe lending library ebooks from OverDrive. Unlike MobiPocket lending library ebooks, you don't even need an accurate clock on the device to support Adobe lending library ebooks. So the odds are very high that these ebooks will work on the Nook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I can't really imagine it not working. Overdrive uses Adobe adept DRM which is what B&N will be using. However, maybe it won't all be in place on November 30th. I just doubt they have checked that yet. It is too technical a question, better would have been Do they support public library checkout of eBooks in PDF and ePUB formats.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyGuy View Post
I have no plans to ever purchase content on their ebook store or anyone elses ebook store. I would consider it though if prices came down drastically, even Amazon prices are too high for me.
Then why would you expect them to go out of their way to help you not be a customer of theirs?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
TrendyGuy
TrendyGuy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook 3G, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Then why would you expect them to go out of their way to help you not be a customer of theirs?
Because they should want me to buy their device. I am going to buy an ebook reader from some company so why wouldn't they want me to buy theirs? Also you never know what could happen down the road, since their store is wireless attached to the reader there is always the chance something might attract me.
TrendyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I see your point, but I don't think any of the major players are interested in just selling devices. The devices are primarily the giveaway razor that lets them sell the blades.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It would be nice if someone at B&N with an actual Nook could just go ahead are try accessing an Overdrive ebook.
Actually, from what I've seen in the forums, it would be nice if someone actually READ THE QUESTIONS people ask.

And, lol, I agree with Jason, but they also don't get it that people aren't going to buy many of the virtual blades for the same price as steel blades.

You'd think they would have figured out by now it is more profitable to sell 20 ebooks for $3 each than 2 for $8 each.

I am sure its a dead horse by now, but I just don't comprehend a corporation smart enuff to know peeps won't pay hardbound prices for a paperback still think the same peeps will be willing to pay paperback prices for an electronic representation.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I too find it frustrating that B&N is not answering questions in a straight forward and honest manner. I feel they are purposely being vague because they know that if they answered questions without obfuscating that it would cost them sales. Not that Amazon is any better; they just ignores questions, which I find just as infuriating.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I too find it frustrating that B&N is not answering questions in a straight forward and honest manner. I feel they are purposely being vague because they know that if they answered questions without obfuscating that it would cost them sales. Not that Amazon is any better; they just ignores questions, which I find just as infuriating.
wait, what? I've never had them ignore any thing I've asked. I've used the email support and the call back support.

Each time.....answers. If they couldn't answer my question, (like why it showed I had no account) they passed me to someone who could.

Really, they ignore your emails?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
ps56k
ps56k began at the beginning.

Device: still looking
answers....
Having been around tech marketing folks - both sides of the table -
sometimes they actually have never seen or used the real product.
They just read their own marketing materials, and have no other experience or depth, which is why in some cases, since they have never used the product, they can't tell you how it will work with the Overdrive library...
A - they have never used the Nook
B - they have never used Adobe Digital Editions
C - they have never used a lending library like Overdrive

That sort of stuff would drive me nuts.....
when I was involved with those kinds of projects.
ps56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyGuy View Post
But would I want to know is if the Nook will be able to read the DRM on the ePub and PDF files from Overdrive. That is the question they aren't answering. It seems the people answering questions don't really know many answers so they keep beating around the bush.
I answered on this thread, but I'll repeat.

Yes but you will need to get the library book using your computer first and then use Adobe Digital Editions to copy it from your computer to the nook.

You will not be able to directly get a library book using either of the wireless functions (WiFi/3G) on the nook itself.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Last edited by Jim Lester; 11-02-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
ps56k
ps56k began at the beginning.

Device: still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
I answered on this thread, but I'll repeat.
Yes but you will need to get the library book using your computer first and then use Adobe Digital Editions to copy it from your computer to the nook.
You will not be able to directly get a library book using either of the wireless functions (WiFi/3G) on the nook itself.
--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
It seems like such a simple question and answer...

BTW - Since the Nook doesn't have an advertised browser, why do these answers imply that anyone would think they could connect directly to Overdrive ?

I think that is just bad interpretation of the question... no one ever asks if the Nook can connect to Overdrive via wireless or WiFi, but they do keep asking if the Nook can open/read books downloaded from Overdrive via Adobe Digital Editions - and the admins on B&N can't seem to answer that... or say NO !
ps56k is offline   Reply With Quote