Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
truhlik_fredy
truhlik_fredy began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
M92 - randomly powers up

I have issue when my device randomly powers up and after some time goes to sleep. I noticed it once I had the device on the desk to power up a minute after it went sleep. Today and yesterday I left device suspended for whole time and noticed that it at least once per day waked up.

I'm not pleased with that at all, it could drain the battery plus my case is not 100% protecting button, the cover is pressing on the button when the cover is pushed so if it's in back pack it could do anything. It's like leaving your phone unlocked in your pocket leaving it call international numbers etc....

Can't find anything on google or this forums that somebody else had this issue, do you guys have any suggestions what I could do?

Device has the up to date firmware from my vendor ereader-store.de.
truhlik_fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
Vavelix
Vavelix began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
I can confirm that this random behaviour has also happened a couple of times to my M92. I have my unit for 7 months now and I have seen this turn-on / standby during the first 2 months. In both cases I had an open pdf in the "new PDF reader" and my power management settings were "10 min to standby".

I have a theory but I cannot test it easily due to the random nature of the event: I think that if the device detects a change to the battery level (it needs to display a lower battery level: minus one line in the indicator) it wakes up and then, according to your power management settings, goes to sleep again.

This has also happened once to my wife's new i62 Firefly (1 month old) so, I guess, it must be a software issue.
Vavelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
truhlik_fredy

Thank you.
I can confirm, 99% of things I read are PDF. And 10 min timer, device is about 5-6 months old. Maybe I try close the PDF and leave it in menu if it gets better. But not sure if it's the -1 battery icon. Because once it was powering and suspending every couple minutes. When you mention PDF, when I shutdown it when something is opened it get tricky as well. Sometimes even the shutdown image is not displayed properly and the last screen of the reader is there instead (that even would be welcome for suspend where instead screen saver would be the same document but on the bottom written "screensaver" so you will recognize that is asleep, but still can have the same page displayed for hours, there is a plugin for it, but still it's not the same). On one hand the device has such potential and on another hand it has so many quirks what annoy and demotivate. For example before I got device I was dreaming that I will read all mine RSS from it, now I don't even try because I'm tired of resetting and stuff and I'm just happy when I can read my PDFs.

Ok I will try to close the documents and then suspend. I think it will take maybe about month to report if that helped or not. Any other advice what I should try in meantime?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by truhlik_fredy View Post
Sometimes even the shutdown image is not displayed properly and the last screen of the reader is there instead
I haven't a shutdown picture, but I have a blank page. Sometimes the black page is not displayed and it's a part of the main menu, or the SD-card's menu which is displayed. Each time, it's because I've closed the cover just after pushed the power button. It's the cover which play with the joystick.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
truhlik_fredy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
main menu, or the SD-card's menu which is displayed. Each time, it's because I've closed the cover just after pushed the power button. It's the cover which play with the joystick.
I get the main menu often. No it's happens as I keep the device opened (actually I do not trust it to shutdown properly, like shutting down old Windows 95 and you wait couple more seconds to be sure it's ok before leaving the room)

Strange feelings, it's one of the kind device and I'm glad it's here, but many things looks like are not production model quality. The cover, told my self that having genuine cover will be the best because with it I will have no issues (something covering something, not fitting something or damaging it). But really I wasn't happy, the materials are no cheap, but for the inside I had to get liner to clean all fuzz from it, the cover is pressing buttons, hated to see the joystick suffering. Everybody will tell it's grand and after 2 years when the contacts will be worn out nobody to blame. So I glued 2 pieces of fun foam next by the button on the cover part, so now the button is pressed just when I push on the cover hard. But normally it leaves like 0.5mm gap for the button and now I have better feeling from the cover. But that experience shouldn't be from genuine cover. The jack doesn't take all jacks, everything looks like needs tweaking to be somewhat usable. I have feeling that lots of the potential is lost due some twirks around the device. And demotivated me in many scenarios. I have Nokia phone from 2005, it's falling apart but I know I can trust it with alarm to wake me up and I can be dependand on it. If this device would had that option I would be afraid to use it, what if it will reset the time, fail to wake up, wake up early and losses all battery till morning comes, or something else. It has many many problems. I love the device, but it's unfortunate.

PS: Why are mine post so big? I mean the gap under it. Now when I edited it, it disappeared.
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Random power-on also happens to my M92. It is almost 2 years old unit. I have older firmware from cca spring 2013.

I could try to measure how frequently it happens. The method would be to count number of screensavers displayed over the time. Every standby-on cycle is one screensaver picture, pictures change sequentialy, so it should not be a problém to find out how many power cycles occured in given period.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
truhlik_fredy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
The method would be to count number of screensavers displayed over the time. Every standby-on cycle is one screensaver picture, pictures change sequentialy, so it should not be a problém to find out how many power cycles occured in given period.
This is not bad idea at all. If this has no solution and cause is unknown that actually could help closer to the reason why this is happening. But it would require more people to participate and maybe monitor more about their device, like what settings you are have, or what was running when suspend. I think I closed the PDF reader yesterday and no I'm not sure, but I think no power up. Sorry I'm not clear, because I'm busy and tired and I'm not sure if I did it day ago or 2 days ago and what screensaver it had etc... Maybe editing the screensaver and giving them small numbers on bottom to note exactly what number you have.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #8
BACbKA
мокрец
BACbKA began at the beginning.

Device: palm, iliad
Did you try to see with wireshark if any IP traffic is emitted when these power-ups happen?
BACbKA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m92, wake up