Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
PeterSm
PeterSm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 non touch,paperwhite 10
Calibre 08.41 Cover "issue"

Hi after a bit of help please as whilst there seems to be a lot of info on "Missing covers" none seems to fit my issue..

I mainly use Calibre to convert EPub files to Mobi for my Kindle and to rename files, add meta data, ensure consistency in authors etc and I also add the book cover nearly always using the cover images from the excellent FantasticFiction site.

I then convert the books epub-->mobi or if just renaming etc mobi->mobi
and all looks hunky dory.

Because I'm still building up collections etc and keep changing my mind on naming etc I normally just copy the generated mobi files to a non calibre store (usb stick) and delete them out of the Calibre database..until I change my mind again and need to update it. I plan to build a full catalog once Ive got everything as i want it

however..

I've noticed thought that books previously created with Calibre or new downloads etc are always loading with the blank default cover even though previously Im convinced that once I added a cover, when I reloaded or where the new book had a cover it would display/remember it...

Ive looked at the settings, reinstalled, reset etc but no luck in retrieving the cover.

I note that it creates a copy of the cover as a separate jpg in the calibre folders but having always cleaned up afterwards dont think that deleting that should be the issue or am I "reading" this all wrong and seeing things??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
PeterSm
PeterSm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSm View Post
Because I'm still building up collections etc and keep changing my mind on naming etc I normally just copy the generated mobi files to a non calibre store (usb stick) and delete them out of the Calibre database..until I change my mind again and need to update it. I plan to build a full catalog once Ive got everything as i want it
Uh oh. Please, please tell us that you deleted the mobi format by using the Remove Books option from the drop down menu within calibre and that you did not manually remove the mobi files from the folders that calibre created.

Last edited by Synamon; 03-09-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
PeterSm

yes...I do it that way... but think IO may have found it in that the setting to read metadata from filename had been set on... so panic over...(I think!)
Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you have converted the books after adding the cover and re-add the books all should be well.
An easy way to see if it is safe to delete the cover.jpg file etc. Is to open the book in a viewer (calibre is easiest) and see if the book displays the cover. Not foolproof, but 90%.

One can't help but wonder why you are doing this (deleting .jpg etc) as it seems counter productive. Deleting files standard to all formats could get old real fast IMO and unless you are down to no storage at all will not help in any way?

My advice is to approach this from a different perspective. It is extremely easy to delete all .jpg files in one step. Leave them there until you are absolutely sure you will never need them. Not the best place to apply micro-management skills.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One point to bear in mind is that if you use the "Edit Metadata" facility to change (or add) a cover for a Mobi book, you must then do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion to make the cover "stick" to the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
PeterSm

Thanks for the replies....

yes I do a mobi to mobi conversionafter I change anything however just to clarify...

I'm building up a collection, sorted into folders/authors etc to keep offline(usb) and online and am constantly changing my mind,,,,,I use Calibre to ensure all the files are in mobi format, have good metadata, consistent naming, covers etc but at present because I keep changing my mind I dont want to commit (just yet..I wiill do!!) to creating a full library, so I do what I need with Calibre, save the updated mobi file off line then clean up afterwards...
It was when I put something back in I noted everything had "gone" but it does appear to be that option I mentioned...
Ive set myself a target of April 1st to have everything as I want folder/naming wise (but as with most of my projects Im late...) and then I'll do everything ebookwise using this excellent program (I've just discovered newsfeeds/papers...) so Kovid and co (and the helpful people here) keep up the good work...