Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
yucchan
yucchan began at the beginning.

Device: none
onyx boox m90 or pocketbook 903?

hello people,
i'm new here but i have been reading the forum for a while, looking for the perfect reader.
obviously, i did not succeed... so, here i am, asking for a piece of advice.

the use will be purely academic: pdf, of course, and texts written by my professors.
there will be charts and images of which i won't care about keeping the color.
I'll also need to be able to write small notes ( just to fix the professors' notes ) and WiFi (if i have to download a pdf from the teacher's site while i am in college or check emails).

i think that the best readers for my needs are the onyxboox m90 or the pocketboox 903 but it seems that i cant make a decision.
may you help me? it's really important that i choose well... i really really need it for my academic studies and my heath(i have always been studying on my notebook and now my eyesight suffers from it)
thank you so much
yucchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
solaris62
solaris62 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook pro 602
If you read the Onyx forum you can see that the M90 has a lot of problems at the moment. Can they fix that with firmware? That's the question. The hardware and design is better than pocketbook.
The 903 is more stable at the moment, and have more functions, more support, bigger community.

I have one 602 and Im happy with it. I was going to buy a 9.7" and like you I was thinking about the onyx or pocketbook. Them I decided to buy the pocketbook pro 602 and wait before buy a bigger one. I can read pdf (scientific) in landscape, it's not perfect because sometimes I need to see the all page and that is not possible.

Is not a easy choice. If you can, wait a month or 2 to see if the onyx get better, if not go for the pocketbook.
solaris62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
yucchan

yeah i read about the problems of the m90 but i read complaints about the pocketbook, too.
should i have faith in onyx boox and wait for a better fw?
the screen seems so much better than the pocketbook's one that i am not able to choose.
i'd like to hear from people who used both readers so we can discuss the actual differences and compare the experiences...
Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The M90s browser is much better than the 903s browser. The M90 also has a pearl display which is slightly better than the 903s display.

They are both equally capable of presenting PDFS on their display with the 903 having a couple options (Column reading , Picture reflow with text) that Onyx doesnt currently. The 903 software is more mature at this point than Onyx's .
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
yucchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
The M90s browser is much better than the 903s browser. The M90 also has a pearl display which is slightly better than the 903s display.

They are both equally capable of presenting PDFS on their display with the 903 having a couple options (Column reading , Picture reflow with text) that Onyx doesnt currently. The 903 software is more mature at this point than Onyx's .
so, in your opinion, which one should i buy? i really dont know anything about ereaders, but display and browser are important features; on the other hand if the software sucks, so will do the device, right?
now, the crucial point is: to trust or not trust onyx boox to improve the software?
i am so confused..
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Onyx has done a nice job updating the Boox A60 over the last year or so its been on the market. Its a much better device than it was originally and even at launch the software was better than most.

If I were you i would pick the one that is easiest for me to get and try it for a week or two. That probably means the 903 for you. But if you will definitely be using the browser on a regular basis I would say the M90. The browser is just much better.

edit- we dont stock the 903 yet and looking at orders right now I believe we are out of M90s until the next shipment arrives
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
yucchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Onyx has done a nice job updating the Boox A60 over the last year or so its been on the market. Its a much better device than it was originally and even at launch the software was better than most.

If I were you i would pick the one that is easiest for me to get and try it for a week or two. That probably means the 903 for you. But if you will definitely be using the browser on a regular basis I would say the M90. The browser is just much better.

edit- we dont stock the 903 yet and looking at orders right now I believe we are out of M90s until the next shipment arrives
i don't know what to do... the m90 has potential but they have to fix a lot of bugs :-( should i buy it and wait for a new fw? i could always try it and return it if i am not satisfied with the device.