Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
viraja
viraja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 300
reading pdf on sony 300, way too small

Hello,
I am not a computer person and this is a bummer. I have a lot of constant file sharing to read, on the go, and my pdf is soo small even w/pushing to L size font on the reader and turning horizontal.
I wonder if there is anything I can do about. I have tried to make the font larger in the original pdf and then save the copy, but it simply doesn't stay large. Now, this is after I have already saved an original copy, does that matter?
I need help and anyone who takes this on, needs to understand I need it spelled step by baby step; if there are any to start with
thanks so much
Viraja
viraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
I would install Calibre on your PC and use that to convert the file to epub. Whilst the straight out of the box conversions are quite good, they may not be perfect if your original PDF has columns or images etc. However, they will allow a better resize and a better performance all round.

Conversion in Calibre is easy, you wont need baby type instructions. But if you get stuck, the Calibre forum has loads of info on this subject.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Another thought:
if you have access to the sources just define the output "paper" size according the screen-dimension of your reader:
Width = 3.47 “
Height = 4.54 “
This was recommended here
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Calibre conversion often doesn't work on PDFs. Most of my PDF files translate into one big line with no paragraph breaks in the entire book.

Does the 300 have the Zoom and Panning options to zoom in on PDF files?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Calibre conversion often doesn't work on PDFs. Most of my PDF files translate into one big line with no paragraph breaks in the entire book.

Does the 300 have the Zoom and Panning options to zoom in on PDF files?
Someone in the German forums suggested to use MobiPocketCreator Publisher Edition. Works like a charm. You have to set in the second step BUILD the choices to 'no compression' and 'no encryption'. You'll get a perfect mobi.file ready to be further processed with Calibre. Today I saw that the first step changes the PDF to XML so actually that should be sufficient for conversion but I haven't checked it yet.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Someone in the German forums suggested to use MobiPocketCreator Publisher Edition. Works like a charm . . .
Since MobiPocket offers the MobiPocketCreator Publisher Edition free, this might be worth a look.

Does MobiPocketCreator handle text reflow reasonably well?

I have found other PDF to TXT format converters that work a little better than Calibre, but they just give a raw TXT output file with a ragged right margin and lots of unwanted hard carriage returns that you end up having to remove using E-book Tidy or another tool in order to get your EPUB to reflow properly.

Also, the intermediate conversion to txt format file in not ideal because you loose any formatting such as headings and figures, as well as any hyper-links or TOC.

It would be nice if the PDF->MOBI->EPUB conversion could preserve at least some of the original formatting, but even if this is not the case, I would be happy if it could at least do a reasonable job of paragraph detection and text reflow.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I am not sure if I know what reflow is and I only read novels, but it has all the headers and the spaces and the blocksentence all my other 'normal' books have. Just give it a try it is incredebly simple.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
viraja
viraja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 300
thanks, so, I read below that if there are say, two pages, actually I think you are addressing this, with a "line", then it may reformat funny. so does this mean that Calibre isn't right? Most of this is articles from journals. Also, is Calibre free, and then should one use Moblebk, or whatever the additional program is? this is all getting super complexed for 15 articles a week. First off, my sony elibrary, doesn't have a Sync Now button, and I can never figure out if it has, how to Sync the thing, sigh.
then, I have to copy in the folder, that I dragged everything/copied it into, that is easy, into the elibray, after that, I can't find a way to just sync it!, and then the pdf conversion sounds like it will take another hour for all these articles a week. Why is this so complicated? do I need a different device or all of them funky with .pdf?
sighing away
viraja is offline   Reply With Quote