Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #76
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I hope your retirement is like Brett Favre and you'll be back next season! (minus the photos of course ).
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #77
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Well at least it's not as bad as it is for those who make circumventing DVD user restrictions easy. You could have been forced to live and work in some Caribbean paradise and be paid for your efforts, like they are.

Hmm... there may be a slight flaw in my logic there?

Here's hopping you have a warm tropical retirement, with cool ocean breezes.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 03:27 AM   #78
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Well at least it's not as bad as it is for those who make circumventing DVD user restrictions easy.
Apart from the raid on his home, and a year in court facing charges that could have lead to two years in gaol before finally being acquitted? I can see why Alf has 'retired'.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #79
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Apart from the raid on his home, and a year in court facing charges that could have lead to two years in gaol before finally being acquitted? I can see why Alf has 'retired'.
That we are all subject to overzealous or malicious prosecution by some who
think (or have reason to believe) they own the legal systems of the world, is
indeed a valid reason to reassess the public positions we may take, and our
resulting exposure.

My post was more to offer some hope and perspective. The reference to
the situation regards DVD restrictions, was pointing to such as "AnyDVD"
and others in similar circumstances. Not such as the DVD user you made
reference to in your post.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-20-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #80
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Just noticed this thread.

Thanks Alf! You have my gratitude for your excellent work which allows me to read the books of my choice on the device(s) of my choice... and ever it should be that way.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #81
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for all your work. Your instructions were always straight forward and easy to understand.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #82
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Thanks Alf - so available, so sorely missed!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #83
NickC42
NickC42 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I agree that Alf has done a great job in making snooks accessible - thanks from me.

Incidentally, an amendment has just made it legal to circumvent DRM in limited circumstances:
(6) Literary works distributed in ebook format when all existing ebook editions of the work (including digital text editions made available by authorized entities) contain access controls that prevent the enabling either of the book’s read-aloud function or of screen readers that render the text into a specialized format
See http://www.copyright.gov/1201/

Hopefully they'll further amend the act to allow fair usage as they have for mobile phone hacking in the same ruling. Unfortunately it might take them another 3 years. Not sure how it affects other countries such as the UK.

Nick
NickC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #84
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC42 View Post
Incidentally, an amendment has just made it legal to circumvent DRM in limited circumstances:
(6) Literary works distributed in ebook format when all existing ebook editions of the work (including digital text editions made available by authorized entities) contain access controls that prevent the enabling either of the book’s read-aloud function or of screen readers that render the text into a specialized format
See http://www.copyright.gov/1201/

Nick
Interesting. Clearly intended to force publishers to enable the read aloud function in some fashion for the visually impaired. (I dunno what the specialized format thing is all about.)

What struck me as I read the whole thing is that the ultimate effect of the DMCA will be that "fair use" will come to be defined by bureaucratic regulation, for all practical purposes. Note how the exception for video snippets does not extend to incorporation in commercial videos, even though it would be "fair use" under the copyright act, if only the commercial enterprises could get around the DRM legally. Eventually, the courts will start to defer to the Librarian of Congress on such matters, and decide that "fair use" means what the Librarian allows, and nothing more. The DMCA will become so entwined in the economy of digital media that DRM will never go away.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #85
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
@Harmon

I may be guilty of over analysis, but I read your posting as indirectly saying that DRM free content will in essence be considered public domain, since nothing has been done to protect it from free distribution? Hence, any commercial endeavor in the realm of publishing will be forced to deal with DRM or running the risk of illegal rampant distribution?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #86
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I'm counting on the fact the e-readers are becoming more mainstream. Non techy users will have more problem with DRM than the people who know how to get rid of these. And will complain, unlike the tech-savvy people how just get rid of drm and shut-up.
DRM cost in licensing, in support. Makes users unhappy when it prevent them to read. And is totally inefective in preventing piracy.
Hopefully, the publishers will comes to their senses, like the music industry did, and we'll see DRM free.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #87
dboggny
dboggny began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
You made my life easy and you will be sorely missed. Thanks Alf
dboggny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #88
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I may be guilty of over analysis, but I read your posting as indirectly saying that DRM free content will in essence be considered public domain, since nothing has been done to protect it from free distribution?
Hmm. That's not what I intended to imply, but I see how you inferred that, and it's an interesting question. I don't see that as a legal outcome, though. I think that copyright law will continue to protect what it protects now, for the copyright owner, regardless of DRM. However, over time, the copyright act will cease to protect the public's fair use rights, except to the extent that those rights are written into administrative law by the Librarian.

Quote:
Hence, any commercial endeavor in the realm of publishing will be forced to deal with DRM or running the risk of illegal rampant distribution?
That's a potential outcome, in any event, at least in the eyes of the publishing industry. It seems to me to be the foundational concept for the DMCA.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #89
Terry851
Terry851 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G & Wifi
I am another thankful user of your contributions to the e-reading scene. You have helped me liberate my Kindle and enabled me to read what I want, where I want. Please enjoy your 'retirement', knowing that you have made a difference to many people's lives!

Thank you, and peace!
Terry851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #90
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
thanks for getting our books out of their prison!
sorry to hear you go...
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote