Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #556
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I'm kind of amazed people spend time organizing books on their reader. I throw them all on there and search when I need to. I carry about 300 books around.
Try doing that with 3,000.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #557
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I'm kind of amazed people spend time organizing books on their reader. I throw them all on there and search when I need to. I carry about 300 books around.
I have calibre manage them for me, it auto created shelves etc, otherwise I'd totally lose track of which order series came in.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 AM   #558
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
On the subject of the Aura's processor: It turns out to be exactly the same as the Glo's. Here's the note I received from someone who travels Europe representing Kobo (they just got back):
I am not weighing in on the truth of that--I have no idea. I do know that the page turns on my Aura are much faster and it took less than a minute to process/add the 60+ books on my SD card into the Aura Db when I moved the card from the Glo to the Aura. That is a huge improvement in speed.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #559
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So now that we have it sorted that there is no such thing as folder support, we can move on.
Folders, directories/subdirectories; potato, potahto. No matter what you call it, it's all the same. Don't get so hung up over semantics.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 AM   #560
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
...If anything is inelegant it's neanderthals who haven't developed the proper thumb dexterity to turn a page and hold onto their reader at the same time...
So the arthritis in my thumb makes me a Neanderthal? I love you too.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #561
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I am not weighing in on the truth of that--I have no idea. I do know that the page turns on my Aura are much faster and it took less than a minute to process/add the 60+ books on my SD card into the Aura Db when I moved the card from the Glo to the Aura. That is a huge improvement in speed.
You're not the only one, my Aura feels quite a bit faster than my Glo. I have noticed that it seems to ghost slightly more though.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #562
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
You're not the only one, my Aura feels quite a bit faster than my Glo. I have noticed that it seems to ghost slightly more though.
I have't noticed what I call ghosting, but I have noticed that the grey bands that can appear behind a line of text seem more noticeable under some conditions. Using the light and adjusting for ambient light conditions along with font tuning seems to take care of that. I do 90% of my reading at home in my bedroom under fairly consistent conditions. Once I tuned in for this, I was good to go. I am sure I will learn what works for me outdoors, in my office, etc. as i use the Aura some more.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #563
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Folders, directories/subdirectories; potato, potahto. No matter what you call it, it's all the same. Don't get so hung up over semantics.
A folder is a dumbed down name for what a directory is. Directories don't actually contain the files within them; they are merely lists useful for organizing files. The same file can be named in multiple lists. Directories can be named in multiple other directories. There is no "physical" limitation in the way you have with actual paper files in actual paper folders. For most people, the limited interpretation is all they need, but that view of things is not the same as the full one. So, is a "folder" the same as a "directory"? It depends on whether you view the names in terms of filesystems or whether you include the physical caricatures of them. It's all about the semantics!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #564
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
wrong. Wherever you are, if you type kobo.com, you'll be indeed directed to kobobooks.com, but this is always a LOCAL page. For me, living in Spain, it shows mostly spanish books (although the text of the webpage is in english). I cannot access kobo CA , kobo Uk nor kobo USA, and neither can you. Not only that, but you are then only shown a selection of books available for your country. There are many, many english or american ebooks that are for instance available for me at amazon.es but that are not at kobo.
Change your location in your account, using a valid address for the country in question. Changing to the US gives me prices in USD and not my local currency. Also offers titles that aren't available, but I haven't bought any in this way.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #565
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
I don't believe I was referring to you but if you have taken offense I apologize. That said, people who want physical page buttons are pretty much out of luck this generation. Blame Steve Jobs for making buttons unfashionable.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #566
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
It is more difficult to touch the screen than it is to press a button when you have arthritis? Not that I don't believe you, but I am rather surprised.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #567
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I don't believe I was referring to you but if you have taken offense I apologize. That said, people who want physical page buttons are pretty much out of luck this generation. Blame Steve Jobs for making buttons unfashionable.
Really? So why is it my Nexus 7 has 3 virtual buttons at the bottom, but my iPad has a physical one there? And I much prefer the physical home button.

I'm in the physical page-turn crowd. How am I supposed to remove dust from my screen while reading? Guess I'll have to turn the reader off, remove the dust, and turn it back on. Not nearly as convenient as my Kindle 4 NT.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #568
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
It is more difficult to touch the screen than it is to press a button when you have arthritis? Not that I don't believe you, but I am rather surprised.
Depends. A lot of the time I'm OK with the touchscreen but when my arthritis flares so badly in my hands and my fingers basically freeze rigid, and I can't bend or use them at all, I find I can control the physical page turn buttons by just pressing down with the side of my hand. Basically I press down, exerting pressure, with the outside edge of my thumb. No dexterity needed from my individual fingers or thumbs. Where as with a touchscreen you need precise finger movements and if my fingers are frozen and unbendable I can't just use the side of my palm/hand or thumb or I touch too much surface and the reader goes crazy trying to figure out what I want it to do.

It can be confusing to someone who hasn't experienced it personally. Whereas it takes less pressure to use a touchscreen you need dexterity to use them and when you hands/fingers cease up you don't have that. So it's easier, and less painful, to simply exert pressure with the side of your hand or the side of the frozen fingers.

Most of the time it's less strength needed to use a touchscreen but sometimes my hands are useless for that and so I keep my Kindle 3 on standby for those days when I literally can't bend my fingers enough to use my touchscreen readers.

Hopefully I haven't confused you, I'm trying to explain it and probably mucked it totally up. Everyone's arthritis affects them differently but I know that's how it goes for mine making buttons easier than touchscreens on occassions.

Last edited by lioslaith; 04-25-2013 at 06:13 AM.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #569
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
How am I supposed to remove dust from my screen while reading? Guess I'll have to turn the reader off, remove the dust, and turn it back on.

World's smallest violin playing.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #570
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
Depends. A lot of the time I'm OK with the touchscreen but when my arthritis flares so badly in my hands and my fingers basically freeze rigid, and I can't bend or use them at all, I find I can control the physical page turn buttons by just pressing down with the side of my hand. Basically I press down, exerting pressure, with the outside edge of my thumb. No dexterity needed from my individual fingers or thumbs. Where as with a touchscreen you need precise finger movements and if my fingers are frozen and unbendable I can't just use the side of my palm/hand or thumb or I touch too much surface and the reader goes crazy trying to figure out what I want it to do.

It can be confusing to someone who hasn't experienced it personally. Whereas it takes less pressure to use a touchscreen you need dexterity to use them and when you hands/fingers cease up you don't have that. So it's easier, and less painful, to simply exert pressure with the side of your hand or the side of the frozen fingers.

Most of the time it's less strength needed to use a touchscreen but sometimes my hands are useless for that and so I keep my Kindle 3 on standby for those days when I literally can't bend my fingers enough to use my touchscreen readers.

Hopefully I haven't confused you, I'm trying to explain it and probably mucked it totally up. Everyone's arthritis affects them differently but I know that's how it goes for mine making buttons easier than touchscreens on occassions.
Your arthritis seems less strenuous. It must be hard to write all this text with immobile fingers. My friend who also suffers hates his iPhone because of this.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote