Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which category shall we use for February in 2013?
ModernLit 8 21.05%
Romance 16 42.11%
Classics 15 39.47%
YoungAdult 11 28.95%
Adventure/Travel 11 28.95%
Free-for-all 13 34.21%
MajorAwardWinners 9 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We just need 4 more votes for Free-for-all. With Free-for-all, if your favorite category may or will lose, you can still nominate the same book(s). In fact, you can nominate anything as long as it's an eBook. You have total freedom. Where going for a fixed category would limit what you can nominate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #32
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We just need 4 more votes for Free-for-all. With Free-for-all, if your favorite category may or will lose, you can still nominate the same book(s). In fact, you can nominate anything as long as it's an eBook. You have total freedom. Where going for a fixed category would limit what you can nominate.
I doubt. I can't get "I, Robot" for example. It's not available in Germany, not as an ebook. So this is not "free-for-all", and for sure there are more books out there which are not available for everyone.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
I doubt. I can't get "I, Robot" for example. It's not available in Germany, not as an ebook. So this is not "free-for-all", and for sure there are more books out there which are not available for everyone.
This has nothing to do with a specific book. This is a category poll. Where did I, Robot come into this?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #34
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
This has nothing to do with a specific book. This is a category poll. Where did I, Robot come into this?
Robots are taking over the world? It's The Singularity! In all seriousness John you and others might be interested in listening to this NPR program:

Artificial Intelligence
Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #35
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's an example that not every ebook out there is free for all.

Quote:
With Free-for-all, if your favorite category may or will lose, you can still nominate the same book(s). In fact, you can nominate anything as long as it's an eBook. You have total freedom. Where going for a fixed category would limit what you can nominate.
That's what you said, and I said that it might not be true. As an example I mentioned "I, robot" because I just happened to find out that I can't get it here.

But after thinking about it a little bit more I think I just misunderstood the category. I thought it meant that the book should be free for all, but now I guess it means that the category is free for any suggestions, no matter about the availibility of the book. My fault. But English is not my native language, and sometimes I just don't get it right
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Are you proposing that Free-for-all could include past winners? Wasn't there another rule that a book couldn't be nominated if it made a voting thread in the past year (or am I thinking of the other club)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Free-for-all means that you can nominate any eBook as long as it is not a past winner. As long as the eBook exists in any country it's allowed.

Free-for-all does not mean the book is free or even available where you live. It just means that you have the choice to nominate any eBook. You are not limited to any specific category. It's an open ended month.

The I, Robot example is incorrect for what Free-for-all is.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #38
Turnstone
Zealot

Quote:
Free-for-all means that you can nominate any eBook as long as it is not a past winner. As long as the eBook exists in any country it's allowed.

Free-for-all does not mean the book is free or even available where you live. It just means that you have the choice to nominate any eBook. You are not limited to any specific category. It's an open ended month.

The I, Robot example is incorrect for what Free-for-all is.
Thanks for the clarification! Seems that I really misunderstood the meaning of the category
Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #39
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
Thanks for the clarification! Seems that I really misunderstood the meaning of the category
Since it's a non-category, that's not surprising.

People nominate scifi practically every month now anyway, so there's no point threatening more scifi nominations.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If classics wins again, I'm going to be nominating I, Robot again for February, 2013.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Robots are taking over the world? It's The Singularity! In all seriousness John you and others might be interested in listening to this NPR program:

Artificial Intelligence
Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing. I just downloaded the mp3.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #42
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
And Romance wins by nose! Yay!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
And Romance wins by nose! Yay!
I'll just have to try to find some science fiction with some sex er romance in it.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #44
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Now I'll need to dig through my collection and see if there's anything I've labelled as Romance. The only thing that bounces into my head immediately is Gone with the Wind, which I do eventually want to read.

But I think that's had its day in the sun with the book club in the past. So I'll see what else I have. You know if we campaign early enough we can make the Feb vote a sham even with the multiple choice voting.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now I'll need to dig through my collection and see if there's anything I've labelled as Romance. The only thing that bounces into my head immediately is Gone with the Wind, which I do eventually want to read.

But I think that's had its day in the sun with the book club in the past. So I'll see what else I have. You know if we campaign early enough we can make the Feb vote a sham even with the multiple choice voting.
Unfortunately, Gone With the Wind has already indeed been a MobileRead Book Club selection and is therefore ineligible for future consideration. But I'm glad Romance won for November. Even though I'd never read a romance novel otherwise, it just seems right for February. And isn't part of the fun of being in a book club reading selections you'd never pick on your own?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote