Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself11 View Post
Unfortunately, that features is only available on PW 2013. It was so handy, what a stupid move by Amazon.
Why is that unfortunate? The PW 2013 is the device that the OP has.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Did you mean 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself11 View Post
Unfortunately, that features is only available on PW 2013. It was so handy, what a stupid move by Amazon.
Did your post really mean to say "only available on PW 2012?"
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Did your post really mean to say "only available on PW 2012?"
That is what I was going to ask. I don't think PW2 has ever had the on-the-fly dictionary switch function. Even on PW1 it is a recent arrival, as is the feature to show no location or time to read.

Eventually I'm sure they will sync up the firmware and add both of these things to PW2.

I don't understand why Amazon has to branch their code to support both devices (and the Kindle Touch for that matter). They are all so similar.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
That is what I was going to ask. I don't think PW2 has ever had the on-the-fly dictionary switch function. Even on PW1 it is a recent arrival, as is the feature to show no location or time to read.

Eventually I'm sure they will sync up the firmware and add both of these things to PW2.

I don't understand why Amazon has to branch their code to support both devices (and the Kindle Touch for that matter). They are all so similar.
I confirm: the PW2 never had it. Whether on the original FW, which was 5.4.0 (5.3.9 was not available for PW2 if I recall properly), nor on 5.4.2.

And I also agree that it is a real pity.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Sorry for the typo. It is a feature only on PW 2012 (PW1). PW 2013 (PW2) never had it.

My "solution" in order to save same steps when I want to consult my other dictionaries was to create a collection (folder) with it. This way, dictionaries are always the first item on my home screen.
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I am somewhat apprehensive about the handling of dictionaries by the PW2 and somewhat confused by this discussion. I'd like to understand three things.
  1. Does the PW2 allow me to install several dictionaries for different languages and does it choose them correctly, according to the language specification in the metadata?
  2. Does the PW2 let me switch dictionaries for the *same* language on the fly?
  3. The situation could be still workable for me even if the answer to 2. above is "no". I could still read in multiple languages that are recognized automatically. Should I want to use another dictionary installed for the same language, I could go into the menus and select another installed dictionary as the default the cumbersome way. Is this understanding correct?

If the answer is no to 1. above, than the PW2 is a huge step backwards from the Kindle 3 and I'll not be able to use a PW2.

Thanxx for a clarification,

Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
1 - Yes.

2 - No, you can't switch on the fly. You have to go to Settings to change the default dictionary of the desired language.
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #23
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Speaking of dictionary, am I supposed to be able to look up defintion of a word inside the dictionary popup? Seems like I can't. On the k3, the dictionary is basically just a book and I can look up definition and search it like one.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Dictionary must be defined as such by Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Speaking of dictionary, am I supposed to be able to look up defintion of a word inside the dictionary popup? Seems like I can't. On the k3, the dictionary is basically just a book and I can look up definition and search it like one.
Amazon defines dictionaries for each of their units separately. For example, the Bible Encyclopedia is defined as a dictionary for the PW 2012 and PW 2013. It is NOT defined as a dictionary for the HDX 2012 and HDX 2013.

If it is not defined as a dictionary for that particular device, then it must be searched like any other book and there will be many hits for any particular word in contrast to finding just one definition if it was defined as a dictionary for that device.

In addition, the PW 2012 firmware allows one to select the Bible Encyclopedia as the default and then will use it COMBINED with the New Oxford American Dictionary for definitions. The PW 2013 only allows one Dictionary to be used at a time.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
When you get the dictionary popup, tap "More", and then "Open Dictionary". This opens the dictionary as a book, which then allows you to search it, look up additional words, etc. Tap the "<" symbol to get back to your book.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #26
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When you get the dictionary popup, tap "More", and then "Open Dictionary". This opens the dictionary as a book, which then allows you to search it, look up additional words, etc. Tap the "<" symbol to get back to your book.
I see. Thank you.

This is another instance where I prefer the old ugly way over the new fancy way. Having it pop up in the little window with small thin font as opposed to full screen with my chosen font isn't as user friendly to me, and having to do a couple extra taps to get to full dictionary means I'll rarely bother. With the window, you do retain context of the book, and I guess tapping any where outside the window to close is slightly more convenient than tapping Back. No doubt most people prefer the new way if for no reason other than it looks more modern and GUI-ish.

They could've added a button or icon to expand to full dictionary, but since they already have a More button they had to put it under there. They could've added an option in Settings, but Amazon seems even more allergic to options than Apple. In any event , trend in UX is to always favor simple and pretty above all.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm afraid I don't follow you. The dictionary lookup has always appeared in a "popup"; it's never displayed full-screen until you explicitly tell it to, on any Kindle. What is it you're objecting to?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #28
Komavary
Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Komavary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BiblioLeaf SP02
Good news: with the latest update (5.4.3), multiple dictionary lookup is back.
(Or, in the case of PW2, where I've confirmed, it finally arrived.)
Komavary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The bad news (for PW1 owners): dictionaries no longer 'cascade' with the latest update. Let's say I had 2 or 3 English dictionaries. Before if it didn't find a word in the default dictionary it would continue to search in the others before giving up. Now it only searches the default and you have to select a different dictionary manually and hope the word is in there.

So they have broken a couple of use cases:
1 - using a translation dictionary, and automatically falling back to non translating dictionary when lookup in the translation dictionary fails
2 - adding definitions for foreign or specialized words and phrases (e.g. Latin, medical or legal terms) that are not found in the default dictionary by adding one or more supplemental dictionaries.

Is this behavior something that works, or worked, on PW2?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:13 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, it's only ever searched the default dictionary on the PW2.