Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #46
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I Loved the ENT Theme, that was the best part of the show. Unfortunatly the entire Xindi ARC sucked. and they knew it, and they canceled the show because of it.

and Nate if you watch the Star Trek Trailers and arent Excited about it there is something wrong. Its Up to date, Star Trek was getting Stale, some of the Character Interactions are laughable. ENT atleast got the interactions right, the earlier treks preached about this perfect world, but then it routinely gets very dirty, but it doesnt handle the bad parts too well. the new movie will be great.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #47
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I Loved the ENT Theme, that was the best part of the show. Unfortunatly the entire Xindi ARC sucked. and they knew it, and they canceled the show because of it.

and Nate if you watch the Star Trek Trailers and arent Excited about it there is something wrong. Its Up to date, Star Trek was getting Stale, some of the Character Interactions are laughable. ENT atleast got the interactions right, the earlier treks preached about this perfect world, but then it routinely gets very dirty, but it doesnt handle the bad parts too well. the new movie will be great.
Just because some interaction aren't plausible doesn't mean you should replace the whole concept of Star Trek with "20-somethings blows shit up". They show the Enterprise being built on Earth, and you are excited?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #48
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
My all time favorite will always be Spock.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #49
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My favorite Vulcan will always be Spork. He even has a utensil named for him.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #50
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My favorite Vulcan will always be Spork. He even has a utensil named for him.
there isnt seriously a Vulcan named Spork is there?
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #51
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
there isnt seriously a Vulcan named Spork is there?
His kids (Spic and Span) were childhood friends of Spock.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
I've been bashing Enterprise on this thread, but let it be known that I still enjoyed it for the most part, and would have continued watching it had it not been canceled. As some people say: bad Trek is better than no Trek.
I'm afraid the title graphics to "Enterprise" completely turned me against it. Watching it, one would have imagined that the USA was totally responsible for the development of early spaceflight. Talk about bias! Why no scenes of Soviet space accomplishments?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #53
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid the title graphics to "Enterprise" completely turned me against it. Watching it, one would have imagined that the USA was totally responsible for the development of early spaceflight. Talk about bias! Why no scenes of Soviet space accomplishments?
Americans Invented the Plane
Was the First to the Moon
Was the First to Warp
First Contact was on American Soil
Star Fleet was based in the US

And they Filmed the show.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #54
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

I didn't like "Enterprise" for another reason. I hated the theme music. It broke from the "space is huge and wonderful and instrumental" to the "macho rock" song. It prejudiced me against the show. Yes, I'm shallow.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Americans Invented the Plane
Was the First to the Moon
Was the First to Warp
First Contact was on American Soil
Star Fleet was based in the US

And they Filmed the show.
Not entirely correct. The Soviet spacecraft "Luna 9" was the first to soft-land on the Moon, and "Luna 10" was the first to enter lunar orbit. in addition to which the Soviet Union was:

- The first to place a satellite in orbit.
- The first to place a man in orbit.
- The first to spacewalk.
- The first to reach Venus
- The first to reach Mars
- The first to have a permanently-manned space station.

... and many other achievements, too.

My point is, WHY have such a "one-sided" view of the matter? The "space race" was a two-sided affair, so why not have a fair representation of the achievements of both sides?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #56
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Not entirely correct. The Soviet spacecraft "Luna 9" was the first to soft-land on the Moon, and "Luna 10" was the first to enter lunar orbit. in addition to which the Soviet Union was:

- The first to place a satellite in orbit.
- The first to place a man in orbit.
- The first to spacewalk.
- The first to reach Venus
- The first to reach Mars
- The first to have a permanently-manned space station.

... and many other achievements, too.

My point is, WHY have such a "one-sided" view of the matter? The "space race" was a two-sided affair, so why not have a fair representation of the achievements of both sides?
Perhaps it was easier to get publicity shots from NASA than from Russia.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #57
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Perhaps it was easier to get publicity shots from NASA than from Russia.
that too. and why would they want shots from Russia? its an American show.

the Americans Won the Space race. were allowed.

Its an American TV show, we dont need no stinking shots of Russia.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #58
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Russia made many great and lasting contributions to the space race and will make many more in the future. The jingonistic nature of history presented simply plays to the audience. Were the roles reversed I would expect the US achievements would be eliminated or at least downplayed.

The US believes that they invented the computer even if it was some time after the British invented one. I remember talking to a Russian scientist many years ago who told me that I had major gaps in my knowledge (nothing new there) and that they had invented the telephone, radio, and heavier than air air flight. He also claimed that Westinghouse stole the railroad air brakes from a Russian invention and that Teslar's work on AC current was based on Russian discoveries. Right or wrong, he believed these thing to be true.

Every country has its own myths about their contributions to the world. How many of our myths are true and how many are simply the result of a good marketing and public relations effort?

One of the most famous stories about General David Sarnoff, the founder of RCA, was that he was the first to receive the SOS from the Titantic while working in a display window of a large Philadelphia department store. (Radio was still a novelty then.) Over the years this myth grew to near epic proportions and was repeated in every biography of Sarnoff and every annual report by RCA. It was taught in schools and colleges. The only problem was it never happened. Someone traced the timeline for the iceberg and the possible times the SOS could have been sent and the times an SOS was recorded as being received. For all of these times the place where Sarnoff worked was closed so he could not have received the message. Finally, in letters released after his death he admitted that the first time he had heard the story was when he was introduced as a speaker at a shareholders meeting. The biographies about his continue to spread the myth.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #59
Andybaby
Wizard

yeah Ive heard many of those things before.

Its still American Science Fiction, if you want Russians in it, and youve got to remember, during the filming of most of Star Trek, Russia Was the Enemy. Russia is still a mystery to most americans. It fell Off the Radar after the Berlin wall Came down to the average americans. Im not saying America Invented everything. Just Star Trek.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #60
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Checkov was Russian.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote