Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2023, 04:49 AM   #1
Legrumsx
Legrumsx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Custom CSS for broken screen

Yesterday I broke my Kobo Sage screen, so now the bottom left corner is not rendering anymore (affected area: 5.5 cm height, 4.5 cm width). But this did not affect the touch capability.

Since I couldn't find any replacement screen anywhere, I was wondering if I could simply modify the CSS of the epub I am reading via Calibre to put a big margin in that area, so the text would avoid rendering in the defective corner, that way I could still somehow use my broken ereader.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231211_104231.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	907.6 KB
ID:	205137  
Legrumsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:43 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Not easily.
Also more of the screen will fail. Yes, it's sad.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2023, 08:09 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use this CSS code...

[code].buy {
buy a new Kobo;
}[code]
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 11:04 PM   #4
lumping-sugar66
Enthusiast
lumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Hey, I'm sorry to hear that.

I can't think of a quick solution with CSS, but you can experiment with Kobopatch to make the rendered area smaller.

There's this Kobopatch patch that is typically intended to reduce the header and footer sizes. Still, in your case, I think you can use it to increase the footer size (make it large enough to cover the broken area) and shrink the area used for text.

Quote:
Reduce new header/footer height:
- Enabled: no
- Description: |
Reduce new reading header/footer heights when they are enabled.
Affects both ePubs and KePubs.
This patch may be of interest to those who used to enable the old
"Custom menubar - reduce height by 33%."
- FindZlib: "ReadingFooter" # qss/ReadingFooter.qss
- ReplaceZlibGroup:
# Adjust the Replace values of min-height/max-height as you wish.
# Keep min-height=max-height
Replacements:
# ReadingFooter Reduce min/max height by 33%
# Touch/Mini (Trilogy)
- Find: "ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n min-height: 56;\n max-height: 56px;\n}"
Replace: "ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n min-height: 37px;\n max-height: 37px;\n}"
# Glo/Aura/Aura2/Nia (Phoenix)
- Find: "ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n min-height: 71px;\n max-height: 71px;\n}"
Replace: "ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n min-height: 47px;\n max-height: 47px;\n}"
# AuraHD/AuraH2O/AuraH202/GloHD/ClaraHD/Clara2E (Dragon)
- Find: "ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n min-height: 101px;\n max-height: 101px;\n}"
Replace: "ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n min-height: 66px;\n max-height: 66px;\n}"
# AuraOne/Forma/Sage/Elipsa/Elipsa2E (Daylight)
- Find: "ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n min-height: 131px;\n max-height: 131px;\n}"
Replace: "ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n min-height: 86px;\n max-height: 86px;\n}"
# LibraH2O/Libra2 (Storm)
- Find: "ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {\n min-height: 118px;\n max-height: 118px;\n}"
Replace: "ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {\n min-height: 78px;\n max-height: 78px;\n}"
See the minimum and maximum height values. You can increase the values in the YAML file and then turn off the header (which iirc is another patch). This should at least give you a reduced usable reading area.

You need to do a bit of research on Kobopatch, if you're not familiar. Here are a few starting points:
* https://pgaskin.net/kobopatch-patche...tch-13651.html
* https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch...leases/tag/v84
lumping-sugar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #5
PHughes
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300 PRS-350 Kobo H2O Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use this CSS code...

[code].buy {
buy a new Kobo;
}[code]
I verify this works for a broken screen. It is the code I used when I broke the screen on my H20.
PHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, css, screen broken