Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Wow! There seems to be a resounding negative opinion of Goodkind.
He brought it on himself.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #47
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
If you go with malazan, I would advise to not read the esslemont books in between. The series is long enough as it is and the esslemont books vary in quality. And while the finish of the erikson books is really good, his last book is weak.
You can always read him later, if you want more malazan.
Agree with this sentiment. The series can definitely be read like this. However if you are a completionist and want a full on experience, then by all means go for the full series. Also, Esselmont gets better.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #48
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Agree with this sentiment. The series can definitely be read like this. However if you are a completionist and want a full on experience, then by all means go for the full series. Also, Esselmont gets better.
Just my opinion, obviously, but I think the Esselmont books should be read along with the core books. If you're going to jump into the Malazan books, you might as well go all in.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #49
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbino View Post
Just my opinion, obviously, but I think the Esselmont books should be read along with the core books. If you're going to jump into the Malazan books, you might as well go all in.
I agree with this too.
All I'm saying is it depends what kind of reader one is and if one has had enough experience with epic fantasy.
Malazan can be overwhelming for new readers.

Personally I'm with you. I'm reading all titles provided in the complete reading order.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #50
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Drib, if you really like Eddings and Feist, I'd recommend going with the Wheel of Time. Jordan's writing often reminds me of Eddings, if he were aiming towards an older audience. I'm not sure how much agreement I'd find on that notion, but it occurred to me many times while reading the WoT. Maybe it was the endless banter between the sexes...
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #51
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I agree with this too.
All I'm saying is it depends what kind of reader one is and if one has had enough experience with epic fantasy.
Malazan can be overwhelming for new readers.

Personally I'm with you. I'm reading all titles provided in the complete reading order.

I have a HUGE amount of knowledge about epic fantasies, except for these newer breeds of authors with the verbal squats.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Drib, if you really like Eddings and Feist, I'd recommend going with the Wheel of Time. Jordan's writing often reminds me of Eddings, if he were aiming towards an older audience. I'm not sure how much agreement I'd find on that notion, but it occurred to me many times while reading the WoT. Maybe it was the endless banter between the sexes...
I love their work, having read them when they came out.

I should point out that I do NOT enjoy what I term the 'Baen School' of writing (BS school of writing), characterized by military-styled fantasies.

The above is for informational purposes only, and in no way should it be construed as an attack upon any kind of fiction enjoyed by any ambulatory biped who happens to read the paragraph above.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #53
Geralt
Witcher

verbal squats....what...
Old 10-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #54
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
verbal squats....what...

The runs = Diarrhea.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #55
Geralt
Witcher

what...
Old 10-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #56
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I assume that refers to writers who simply regurgitate words onto virtual paper with no rhyme or reason.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #57
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I assume that refers to writers who simply regurgitate words onto virtual paper with no rhyme or reason.
Sanderson and Erikson are relatively new writers...so if he thinks they are of that kind I dont get why he is asking about their books.

Anyhow even that idea that there are there are writers who regurgitate words bugs me. Just read the first book and decide if you like it well enough to continue. That's 100x more efficient than asking for recommendations...
You may not like something, but to say you know writer's motivation for writing something in some particular way is silly.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #58
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I have a HUGE amount of knowledge about epic fantasies, except for these newer breeds of authors with the verbal squats.
These "newer breeds of authors" is frankly not that new. Jordan is dead and the first wheel of time book is 25 years old. ASoIaF nearly 20 and malazan 16.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #59
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I love their work, having read them when they came out.

I should point out that I do NOT enjoy what I term the 'Baen School' of writing (BS school of writing), characterized by military-styled fantasies.

The above is for informational purposes only, and in no way should it be construed as an attack upon any kind of fiction enjoyed by any ambulatory biped who happens to read the paragraph above.

Then maybe malazan would be not to your liking. Don't know what exactly you mean, but many of the characters are soldiers and some stories are about war campaigns. In that way it is military-styled (the series title gives a hint to that too ). But it is not glorifying the military, more how you maybe can hold on to your humanity facing it.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #60
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
In the foreword to my copy of Gardens of the Moon, Erikson advices that you'll know within the first third or so whether you'll love it or hate it. I found that I loved it, which is great, since I've heard many times that it's the worst of the series. There's quite the learning curve--it took me a while to figure out the characters, their motivations, and how it would all come together. But in the end, it was quite satisfactory. I've since bought the omnibus, but haven't started book 2 yet because of general life business.

Anyway, I'd suggest giving it a shot, maybe getting a library copy if possible?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote