Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Same world, same series.

It is officially the Mistborn mega-series, as it is billed to be a "trilogy of trilogies".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:40 AM   #32
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Same world, same series.
I certainly don't agree with that statement but it doesn't really matter. The first trilogy is completely stand-alone so as far as I am concerned it is it's own thing; if someone wants to consider them all one series, ok, but my way I get to consider it a completed series and not worry about future books for a while.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #33
cocopuff
Connoisseur
cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simpletouch Glowlight, Kobo Aura H2O
The Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan start out extremely well, but I was extremely disappointed with the last 3-4 books. It seemed like he was trying to fit too many plot lines into too few pages and everything kind of got muddled. You can't go wrong with ASOIAF even though it'll be years before it is finished. I wasn't that big a fan of Mistborn, but it was a well written series that might appeal to you.
cocopuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #34
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I really like, and it hasn't been mentioned, the Dagger&the Coin series by Daniel Abraham.

"All paths lead to war...

Marcus' hero days are behind him. He knows too well that even the smallest war still means somebody's death. When his men are impressed into a doomed army, staying out of a battle he wants no part of requires some unorthodox steps.

Cithrin is an orphan, ward of a banking house. Her job is to smuggle a nation's wealth across a war zone, hiding the gold from both sides. She knows the secret life of commerce like a second language, but the strategies of trade will not defend her from swords.

Geder, sole scion of a noble house, has more interest in philosophy than in swordplay. A poor excuse for a soldier, he is a pawn in these games. No one can predict what he will become.

Falling pebbles can start a landslide. A spat between the Free Cities and the Severed Throne is spiraling out of control. A new player rises from the depths of history, fanning the flames that will sweep the entire region onto The Dragon's Path -- the path to war."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm not really interested (at this point in time) in reading any secondary Indie Fantasy players. They're all over the place, and they have their detractors and admirers.

But they're not for me - at this time. (I did some reading on these last year [but not Abraham], and was mostly turned off.)

Rather, I wish to concentrate on getting caught up with the major players - the top tier writers in popularity.

This is a purely subjective choice. My decision - in no way - should have any impact whatsoever and in any form on whomever one chooses to read, beyond those mentioned in the Title header of this thread.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-01-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #36
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm not really interested (at this point in time) in reading any secondary Indie Fantasy players. They're all over the place, and they have their detractors and admirers.

But they're not for me - at this time. (I did some reading on these last year [but not Abraham], and was mostly turned off.)

Rather, I wish to concentrate on getting caught up with the major players - the top tier writers in popularity.

This is a purely subjective choice. My decision - in no way - should have any impact whatsoever and in any form on whomever one chooses to read, beyond those mentioned in the Title header of this thread.
If you're basing it on popularity, then are you caught up with Joe Abercrombie and Pat Rothfuss? They are probably the two best selling "epic fantasy" authors not named Brandon Sanderson or George R.R. Martin.

I am also going to throw out David Gemmell's name in the off chance you're not familiar with him. If you like fantasy and have a soul, you should probably read his books. It's a shame he passed away at a fairly young age.

BTW: I wouldn't consider Abraham a second player, considering The Expanse books are NYT best sellers and have TV show coming out.

Last edited by mgbino; 10-01-2015 at 03:24 PM.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #37
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Abraham is not an Indie authors and his sci fi collaboration is a major hit (and gets a tv show I think).

Of the 4 authos you mentioned, I would say Goodkind is no major player. He had some success for a short time, but thats all. No lasting influence, only die hard fans are still interested in him.
The other three are established and certainly major players. If you are interested in current major players (who write today, but are established and very popular) I would add Abercrombie, Sanderson, Rothfuss and maybe Lynch. But your three are possibly the most influential fantasy authors of the past 20 years. The ones I would add are one (two for jordan) "generations " newer.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbino View Post
If you're basing it on popularity, then are you caught up with Joe Abercrombie and Pat Rothfuss? They are probably the two best selling "epic fantasy" authors not named Brandon Sanderson or George R.R. Martin.

I am also going to throw out David Gemmell's name in the off chance you're not familiar with him. If you like fantasy and have a soul, you should probably read his books. It's a shame he passed away at a fairly young age.

BTW: I wouldn't consider Abraham a second player, considering The Expanse books are NYT best sellers and have TV show coming out.

I'm really only interested (in this thread) on the authors listed in the Title Heading.

Thank you.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

For the sake of future discussion, let's all please stick with the authors listed in the Title Heading.

Those are the ones I'm interested in discussing and in finding out what your thoughts are on those specific authors.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #40
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Alright then, here are my thoughts:

The Wheel of Time is entertaining, for the most part, but it has serious pacing issues. Each book could be at least 100 pages shorter. It has a traditional fantasy vibe to it, which I liked about it. Rand is an interesting main character because he spends the vast majority of the series slipping into insanity. Another character, Mat, is my favorite "lovable rogue" from any series.
On the downside, Jordan died before he could finish writing it. Sanderson did a great job with the concluding books, but there is a noticeable stylistic change.

I liked the Malazan books too, but they are a huge time investment. You can't just read the Erikson ones, you have read Esslemont's 6 books too, or you might get totally lost. The world itself is incredible, but the characters tend to be pretty one dimensional. The amount of detail about the fictional universe is pretty staggering though.

Don't read Goodkind. Parts of The Sword of Truth are complete rip offs of the Wheel of Time. Goodkind is also obsessed with rape. Seriously, I think every female character gets raped at least once. The vast majority of the series is a thinly veiled pot shot at liberals and pacifists. If you're still not sure, Google "chicken that is not a chicken."

I'm really serious about this. I would sooner mail you copies of the first Wheel of Time or Malazan book than passively allow you to waste money on Goodkind.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #41
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I've heard some very negative things about Terry Goodkind's writing, especially concerning those later books.

Thank you for the info on the other writers.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #42
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I read the The Wheel of Time and thought they were great. I read the series straight through. I felt that 8-10 dragged a bit however book 11 (the last Jordan one) and 12-14 by Sanderson really picked things back up. Overall I would definitely recommend the series.

I also read the Malazan books straight through just recently. It was a very good series but can definitely be confusing. (books 1 and 2 each introduce totally different sets of characters, book 5 is a prequel) It is also much darker and depressing at many points. Good world building and multiple magics as opposed to Jordan's one magic system. Lots of interfering gods as opposed to Jordan's one big baddie.

Haven't read GRRM because the series isn't finished...or even near finished. I am happy getting this story through HBO. Can't comment on the others either.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 10-01-2015 at 08:17 PM.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #43
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I would go with Malazan. It's a great series. Main core (10 books) is finished (unlike GRRM's ASOIAF, as much as that one is my favorite). And there is so much to immerse oneself in and explore. Erikson is an archaeologists by profession so he created this huge, old world full of different races and mysteries.
This is the complete reading list from the members of Malazan forum, including all the novellas, novelettes, short stories etc

Spoiler:
  1. Gardens of the Moon
  2. Deadhouse Gates
  3. Blood Follows
  4. The Lees of Laughter's End
  5. The Wurms of Blearmouth
  6. Memories of Ice
  7. House of Chains
  8. The Healthy Dead
  9. Midnight Tides
  10. Night of Knives
  11. The Bonehunters
  12. Reaper's Gale
  13. Crack'd Pot Trail
  14. Return of the Crimson Guard
  15. Toll the Hounds
  16. Stonewielder
  17. Goats of Glory
  18. Dust of Dreams
  19. Orb, Sceptre, Throne
  20. The Crippled God
  21. Blood and Bone
  22. Assail
  23. Forge of Darkness
  24. Fall of Light
  25. Walk in Shadow
Malazan is an epitome of epic fantasy imo. It's not a series for a casual fantasy reader. I think it is most enjoyed by people who have been reading epic fantasy for years. Don't expect you'll understand much from book 1 and 2. I just started piecing things together, small things in book 3 (Memories of Ice).

I wouldn't bother with Goodking.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #44
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Wow! There seems to be a resounding negative opinion of Goodkind.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:17 AM   #45
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
If you go with malazan, I would advise to not read the esslemont books in between. The series is long enough as it is and the esslemont books vary in quality. And while the finish of the erikson books is really good, his last book is weak.
You can always read him later, if you want more malazan.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote