Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the KoboTouchExtended calibre plugin enable side-loaded KePub reading stats?
Yes - I want them at any cost 35 31.82%
Yes, and I promise to be careful when syncing with Kobo 29 26.36%
Yes - I have a different reason 1 0.91%
I don't care about KePub reading stats 12 10.91%
No - I buy/sync most of my books from Kobo 3 2.73%
No - I think it would be too confusing or cause too many problems 19 17.27%
No - I have a different reason 1 0.91%
I don't use the KoboTouchExtended plugin 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
pimpsalot69
pimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of lightpimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of lightpimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of lightpimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of lightpimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of lightpimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of lightpimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of lightpimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of lightpimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of lightpimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of lightpimpsalot69 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura 2013
I think i i Know my problem I have the kobo Aura 2013 not HD. From my understanding its only for kobo glo mini and touch. well damn!
pimpsalot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Get your facts STRAIGHT. Stats WERE available with ZERO 3rd party tools. All that was needed was to rename the ".epub" to ".kepub.epub" before sending to the device.

This and THIS ALONE is all that was required to move a book from being processed by the RMSDK based engine to the ACCESS based engine.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #33
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Thalinor, with an attitude like yours and that sort of language, I would 100% support Kobo if they decided to ignore everything you say. The techs at Kobo have no control over what gets released; they're told what to do an they can choose between doing it or finding another employer. In today's job market, I know what I'd choose.

If you want to make your opinions known, you have that right, but you MUST be respectful if you expect anyone to give you any consideration. You have the right to express your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned you have no right to be degrading or cruel while doing so.

If this makes you decide not to buy another Kobo product, then I wish you the best of luck with your (far less open) Sony or Kindle or whatever other ereader product you choose. If you are interested in actually doing something more than needlessly degrading people, you should POLITELY contact Kobo via postal mail and calmly and politely outline your issues and your reasoning.

And, like PeterT said, perhaps you should make sure your facts are correct before you start calling people frankly quite horrible and obviously inaccurate names.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Thalinor, with an attitude like yours and that sort of language, I would 100% support Kobo if they decided to ignore everything you say. The techs at Kobo have no control over what gets released; they're told what to do an they can choose between doing it or finding another employer. In today's job market, I know what I'd choose.

If you want to make your opinions known, you have that right, but you MUST be respectful if you expect anyone to give you any consideration. You have the right to express your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned you have no right to be degrading or cruel while doing so.

If this makes you decide not to buy another Kobo product, then I wish you the best of luck with your (far less open) Sony or Kindle or whatever other ereader product you choose. If you are interested in actually doing something more than needlessly degrading people, you should POLITELY contact Kobo via postal mail and calmly and politely outline your issues and your reasoning.

And, like PeterT said, perhaps you should make sure your facts are correct before you start calling people frankly quite horrible and obviously inaccurate names.
While I agree (it is always best to be civil), I also disagree (with the ignoring customers).

As a company, I would always want to know about problems. If a user has reached the point where they are so upset, I would want to hear about it. Ignoring customers is a great way to kill a product.

I had a call in to Amazon (about Prime streaming), we were both so politically correct with each other, I'm not sure they understood what I was complaining about (but at least it was a nice pleasant experience, and that's what is important. )
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Thalinor's post has been deleted for violating our posting guidelines.

We are a family-friendly site.

Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #36
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
While I agree (it is always best to be civil), I also disagree (with the ignoring customers).

As a company, I would always want to know about problems. If a user has reached the point where they are so upset, I would want to hear about it. Ignoring customers is a great way to kill a product.
If Thalinor were the only person saying these things, I may have said something different However, there's a large number of people saying exactly the same thing...
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #37
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
For those of you who really really really want it, because it's literally no additional effort on my part to do so, I'll give you a one-time package that will allow you to use side-loaded reading stats.
So is this package working with the latest firmware? On which version of plugin was it based? Looking at dates in version history it seems to be 2.2.12. Am i right?
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #38
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Shoot, now I'm curious what Thalinor said ...

Jgougen, I feel I haven't thanked you enough for all your work. Now I voted "yes at any costs", but as you mention numerous issues I will stay away. I could live well without ever DL'ing a book directly the the reader, and Pocket seems to work, but I have a super low tolerance for software glitches. Don't sweat it, and let's hope (against hope) that Kobo comes around on this issue with the new management.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #39
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

New management? Obviously I've missed something here?
Old 02-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #40
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
New CEO. Japanese guy, right?
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:44 AM   #41
Stu1983
Stu1983 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I really would like these stats, the reason I just bought a Kobo was to have these stats... not realizing it was tied to Kobo purchased books

I have 100's of ePubs and have no intention of ever purchasing from Kobo

I do understand the risks and downside for others though and the pain and effort involved in keeping 2 plugins updated.
Is there any option to keep the main plugin with the feature disabled then every so often release a separate version that has the stats enabled.
So the version without stats would be updated as often as you currently do but people wanting the stats would be a few versions behind? Or would the plugins get out of sync too quick and get to the point that the stats enabled version would be too far behind meaning you never get time to update it?
Stu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #42
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

More like "I don't want the effort of testing two plugins when one has such problems and the code is open source so anyone interested enough in the extra features is welcome to fork and maintain it themselves"
Old 02-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #43
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Remember though, it's not JUST purchasing books from Kobo; it's any time that you allow the Kobo to connect via Kobo Desktop OR WiFi to Kobo that ALL the sideloaded kepubs will be removed since NONE of them will be present in your Kobo Web managed library.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #44
Stu1983
Stu1983 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I understand the downsides but for me I have yet to install any Kobo software and fail to see any reason to do so. Caliber handles all my needs and more just like it did with my old Nook.

@jgoguen you said in a previous post somewhere, that you have posted the code for an earlier version of the plugin that contains the code to enable 'in book' stats.
Where would I find it? I have done a very tiny bit of python development through work, so I wouldn't mind taking a look at what's involved... though I would imagine it's well beyond my abilities

how much would it take in donations to get you to release a version?
Looking at the poll, out of 84 votes, 41 people want it while only 23 don't want it.
I'm thinking, if there is that much interest, maybe people would be willing to chip in to make it worth you while to develop a one off separate version. If a new firmware comes out later we could pay again for a upgrade?
Stu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...75#post2685375