Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #181
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Code:
        <font name="Amasis" regular="AmasisMTW1G.otf" italic="AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf" bold="AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
        <font name="Amasis30" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="Amasis30.ttf" italic="Amasis30-Italic.ttf" bold="Amasis30-Bold.ttf" bolditalic="Amasis30-BoldItalic.ttf" />
Jackie - is there any difference between the Sony Amasis and the external one?

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #182
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Jackie - is there any difference between the Sony Amasis and the external one?
Yes and no. The Amasis30 was extracted from a Nook firmware upgrade (v1.0.1, which is not the latest). It still looks like Amasis but the 'regular' and 'italic' members are semi-bold, so the contrast is excellent. However, the coverage of non-Latin characters is not as good as the T1 Amasis (e.g. no Cyrillic). So swings and roundabouts. I'm an English reader so most fonts cover all the characters I need.

The last Nook update I downloaded didn't have this Amasis30 semi-bold version anymore - it now looks more like the T1 Amasis.
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #183
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
How I'd like the homescreen to look:

Don't know if it's possible, but for me, I'm only reading one book at a time, and if I want to find something else I have to browse into the all books section, so I'd like to get rid of the Recently Read/Added section.

Alternatively, we could put blank space in either slot if that's easier, preferably the upper part. Or fill this with some sort of useful information; i.e. current date/time.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #184
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Looks like I am going to have to take my PRS-T1 back to the store and get an exchange. I've suspected for a while that the contrast on the e-ink screen isn't what it should be. Today I turned it on to find the text suddenly less black and jagged. I've done the rescue set, to no avail. I noticed this problem before rooting when I first got it as well. Hopefully the next one fixes it.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #185
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Each time I restart the T1, the modified reader is replaced by the default sony reader. And I have to re-flash again the reader. Do you know why and how to avoid this.
Add: why don't you add the 2 modified app (reader and home) into the same flash package?

Last edited by vietchovui; 02-11-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #186
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS T1
Hi Morkl,

Work you've done is really awesome! With kind people help I've managed to change system fonts and shared with others on this forum. I've liked the idea of 3rd page in Sony's launcher. I've removed Zeam launcher from my rooted device and using Sony's launcher now.

The only catch is there are all apps showing in the 3rd page and I've to scroll (which is not really pleasant of PRS T1) to find required app. You have accumulated quite a bit of knowledge in this area. Could you please, share and help me to hide those app that I'm not using (system apps for example) and show the ones I need?

Thanks. Keep up good job!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #187
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

@Morkl,

How do you modify buttons in EbookHome, I want "Public Library" to go directly to my library page not to search page as it does by default. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #188
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosa View Post
How do you modify buttons in EbookHome, I want "Public Library" to go directly to my library page not to search page as it does by default. Thanks.
Hi giosa,

Look back through this thread - it's all there if you know what to look for . In particular, post 28 and post 46 contain the most useful info.

Note that the config file was consolidated into one file fairly early on, so if you see references to allapps.xml and extapps.xml early in this thread then that's really the single homemod.xml currently in use.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #189
giosa
Connoisseur

Thanks Simon, you're always happy to help! Thank you for that.

Basically the procedure to make simple change in home screen is to

1. Unpack EbookHome.apk with apktool
2. Modify AndroidManifest.xml to implement desired change to home screen buttons
3. Repack EbookHome.apk and replace original apk with Root Exploer.

Please, confirm.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #190
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Quote:
Thanks Simon, you're always happy to help! Thank you for that.

Basically the procedure to make simple change in home screen is to

1. Unpack EbookHome.apk with apktool
2. Modify AndroidManifest.xml to implement desired change to home screen buttons
3. Repack EbookHome.apk and replace original apk with Root Exploer.

Please, confirm.

Thanks.
You're overcomplicating it!

See the readme.txt in the top of the zip file - it says to copy the homemod folder to the internal storage (sdcard) on the reader. Then you edit the homemod.xml file to suit.

You can either use flash_reader.bat to install the new home app or copy the apk and install with root explorer. You do not modify the apk at all - all config is driven from the homemod.xml file.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #191
giosa
Connoisseur

Simon,

You got me wrong. I don't want to install modified home, I just want to know how to make minor adjustments to original home on my device. For example how to hide system apps on home 3rd page. And that's what I asked Morkl to share this knowledge.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #192
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
Hi all! Sorry about the lack of updates. I have a kind of lack-of-computer situation going on, but I'm working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
How I'd like the homescreen to look:

Don't know if it's possible, but for me, I'm only reading one book at a time, and if I want to find something else I have to browse into the all books section, so I'd like to get rid of the Recently Read/Added section.

Alternatively, we could put blank space in either slot if that's easier, preferably the upper part. Or fill this with some sort of useful information; i.e. current date/time.
I can see how that might be desirable. In fact, I'd like the whole front screen to be modular. I'm all about the customization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietchovui View Post
Each time I restart the T1, the modified reader is replaced by the default sony reader. And I have to re-flash again the reader. Do you know why and how to avoid this.
Add: why don't you add the 2 modified app (reader and home) into the same flash package?
This sounds really weird. What versions of everything are you running?

The main reason I don't bundle them is I'm lazy and it'd mean making an extra package (I want to keep supplying separate packages, as some might only want one and not the other and they are, after all, separate apps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by username1 View Post
I install the mod with the apk and the folder homemod on a rooted PRS-T1.

Problem : the default reader app (that I love) don't work well now, very slow and crash if I try to open my notes or open the table of contents.

How can I find the original reader app, I'm totally lost, I'm on ubuntu and cannot run exe.

Thanks.
What version? Home screen shouldn't affect Reader in any way

Anyhow, flash packages can be installed by putting them on an SD card and rebooting the device while keeping the home+back buttons depressed. More detailed instructions are available somewhere in this thread, here and elsewhere.

Quote:
Simon,

You got me wrong. I don't want to install modified home, I just want to know how to make minor adjustments to original home on my device. For example how to hide system apps on home 3rd page. And that's what I asked Morkl to share this knowledge.
Re: buttons, The activities associated with each button are hard coded in the stock home app; my modified one bypasses this method

Re: 3rd page, I filter the apps based on their paths, by simply not adding them to the list view when they don't match.

I'm afraid neither is easily achieved without decompiling the app and modifying the behaviour of the app. Feel free to take a look at my code if you want to do it yourself; it is available here.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #193
dmiller
Enthusiast
dmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I just installed the new home screen and reader on my rooted PRS-T1. (Flashing the reader didn't work for me, so I copied the homemod and reader folders as instructed, located the apk files, placed them in the folders, and ran the apk file. I like the new home screen a lot, but the new reader did not successfully install. Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #194
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post

Re: 3rd page, I filter the apps based on their paths, by simply not adding them to the list view when they don't match.

I'm afraid neither is easily achieved without decompiling the app and modifying the behaviour of the app. Feel free to take a look at my code if you want to do it yourself.
My approach is minimalistic. Less 3rd party utilities better. I want to get rid off Bar Shortcut, It's not bad but it's buggy (Crashes when I add Terminal emulator and/or Browser). If I could display on homes 3rd page only apps installed by me and android settings, I would uninstall Bar shortcuts. But for now I've to leave with Bar Shortcut.

If you filter Apps by their path, how you make android settings to show?

Thanks for you're code link, but I'm not good enough to follow. Would be good if you could write short but detailed guide.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #195
blz
blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hello! I got the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
I'm on the newest firmware and the Modified Home Screen is crashing anytime I try to go to the next page using either the hardware or software buttons. It simply says the application stopped, and allows me to force quit. Beyond that I can launch a book, but nothing else works.
I tempted this morning to restart from a brand new installation, restored the stock system, re-rooted with minimal root & zeam, reloaded the modified home screen app: same thing again.

A pity this is, as this mod is really great, and as far as I can remember, worked perfectly before going into this 1.0.04.12210 firmware upgrade business...

' would be great if aonyone had any clue. Thanks anyway to all of you making such a great job around PRS T1 rooting and moding!!!
Closed Thread