Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #136
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
Not really my area of expertise, I'm afraid. The way I've chosen to change fonts is the modified Reader.
Do you know how to change the font that's responsible for book titles and authors names?
Old 01-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #137
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by giosa View Post
Do you know how to change the font that's responsible for book titles and authors names?
This was one of the features of PRSPlus on the older Sony models, but I can't say I've noticed any threads discussing it for the T1. Perhaps one of the 'rooted T1' gurus would know how to do it. In PRSPlus, it was achieved by running a .sh script on boot-up which performed a series of 'mount --bind' commands on customised versions of stock font files (tt0003m_.ttf, tt0011m_.ttf, tt0419m_.ttf). I could post a copy of the old .sh script to give you some clues, but I don't know whether it would be any use on an Android device. I'm afraid my Linux/Android skills are non-existent.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #138
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This was one of the features of PRSPlus on the older Sony models, but I can't say I've noticed any threads discussing it for the T1. Perhaps one of the 'rooted T1' gurus would know how to do it. In PRSPlus, it was achieved by running a .sh script on boot-up which performed a series of 'mount --bind' commands on customised versions of stock font files (tt0003m_.ttf, tt0011m_.ttf, tt0419m_.ttf). I could post a copy of the old .sh script to give you some clues, but I don't know whether it would be any use on an Android device. I'm afraid my Linux/Android skills are non-existent.
Thanks jakie_w. I think, changing system fonts is interesting for Unicode language users, like me, who has problems displaying titles, bookmarks etc. in Georgian. Hope some "gurus" will be interested too.

If I know any development in this area I'll post.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #139
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Please post your reader.xml contents.
In which T1 directory did you store the gentium fonts?
What do you see when you press Menu - Font - Selected Font Type from within a book?
Please have a look at the reader.xml that I've edited by adding
Quote:
<font name="Gentium Book" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="GenBkBasR.ttf" italic="GenBkBasI.ttf" bold="GenBkBasB.ttf" bolditalic="GenBkBasBI.ttf" />
at the bottom- most of the file.
Font files are in the "i:\reader\fonts\" folder which I is the reader drive.
When I press menu\font there is only option to choose font size, no dropbox to choose font type (plz see the attached screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120130221811.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	81895  
Attached Files
File Type: xml reader.xml (2.4 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by vietchovui; 01-30-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add screenshot
Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #140
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Thanks jakie_w. I think, changing system fonts is interesting for Unicode language users, like me, who has problems displaying titles, bookmarks etc. in Georgian. Hope some "gurus" will be interested too.

If I know any development in this area I'll post.
Do you have a link to an EPUB with Georgian title to test with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietchovui View Post
Please have a look at the reader.xml that I've edited by adding

at the bottom- most of the file.
Font files are in the "i:\reader\fonts\" folder which I is the reader drive.
When I press menu\font there is only option to choose font size, no dropbox to choose font type (plz see the attached screenshot).
Try removing one of the stock font rows from reader.xml and see if that helps; having more than 6 rows doesn't really work at the moment.

Never expected the menu to disappear completely though

Last edited by Morkl; 01-30-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #141
Rheingold
Rheingold began at the beginning.

Hi Morkl,

THX for the great programs - very good work!

I'm wondering about consequences concerning the new FW version 1.0.04.12210.
Is the mod reader still working?

At last I have a question: Is it correct to place my own style.css in a new folder "css" on the READER partition?

Greetings ...
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #142
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Do you have a link to an EPUB with Georgian title to test with?
@Morkl

Here's Georgian epub
Attached Files
File Type: epub arsena marabdeli - mixeil javaxishvili.epub (728.4 KB, 558 views)
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #143
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheingold View Post
Hi Morkl,

At last I have a question: Is it correct to place my own style.css in a new folder "css" on the READER partition?

Greetings ...
The latest versions of both Reader and Home are based on the ones in the 1.0.04.12210 firmware. They were pretty much identical to the ones in the previous firmware though, so I'd expect them to work on both. No, wait, no, I was totally confused when I wrote that. Will do some research on the new FW ASAP.

Yes, that's where it looks for it.

Quote:
@Morkl

Here's Georgian epub
Thanks!

Last edited by Morkl; 01-31-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #144
herbert4231
herbert4231 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hey!
Have you watched this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYHvYo5LEE
It shows a trick to enter a partial refresh mode which is very usable for file browsers and other apps which usually have a lot of flashing.
Do you think you could make this mode be activated by a button combination or something like that? It would be better than having to open the browser every time.

Of course it would be even better if you find out how to enable a partial-refresh mode which isn't just black and white, but I don't know if that is possible.
Keep up the great work, Morkl. You already made my reader a lot more enjoyable.

Last edited by herbert4231; 01-31-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #145
Morkl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert4231 View Post
Hey!
Have you watched this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYHvYo5LEE
It shows a trick to enter a partial refresh mode which is very usable for file browsers and other apps which usually have a lot of flashing.
Do you think you could make this mode be activated by a button combination or something like that? It would be better than having to open the browser every time.

Of course it would be even better if you find out how to enable a partial-refresh mode which isn't just grayscale, but I don't know if that is possible.
Keep up the great work, Morkl. You already made my reader a lot more enjoyable.
Yesterday, hberntsen posted a "no refresh enabler" here, which can be added as a notification bar shortcut. I think that is a pretty nice solution

Last edited by Morkl; 01-31-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #146
herbert4231
herbert4231 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Yesterday, hberntsen posted a "no refresh enabler" here, which can be added as a notification bar shortcut. I think that is a pretty nice solution
Nice! This works pretty well.
Another idea I had is to turn flashing off in general (greyscale like he achieved with the new framework editing). Even for the reader and the browser.
Then there should be a button combination or touch gesticure to let the screen flash (to stop ghosting). It would give the user more control and would be the best way to have less of this annoying flashing.
Do you think you could implement this option?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #147
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheingold View Post
Hi Morkl,

Greetings ...
I think my problem previously mentioned (post #130 and 139) is due to the update to firmware ver 1.0.04.12210.

Last edited by vietchovui; 02-01-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #148
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Quote:
I think my problem previously mentioned (post #130 and 139) is due to the update to firmware ver 1.0.04.12210.
I doubt it... I have the 1.0.04.12210 firmware and reinstalled the 2012-01-22 version (the latest thus far) of Morkl's EbookReader on top of it, and the font selector has worked fine with at least six books so far.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #149
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soseono View Post
I doubt it... I have the 1.0.04.12210 firmware and reinstalled the 2012-01-22 version (the latest thus far) of Morkl's EbookReader on top of it, and the font selector has worked fine with at least six books so far.
That's interesting... I've been holding off doing the latest official upgrade just in case Morkl's modified reader app didn't work anymore.

I had also assumed the Sony changes to fix the 'unwanted dictionary pop-up' bug would be implemented in the reader app. Does this mean that this bug isn't currently fixed on your setup? Or perhaps you've never been affected by the bug. I definitely have seen it, but it's a minor inconvenience to work around compared to not having the modified reader app.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #150
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I thought Morkl had already pointed out your problem? You had 7 fonts defined in your reader.xml file when the maximum is 6. Did removing one of them not work?
Closed Thread