Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #1
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Centring a table on page

I'm putting together an ePub for use on a Kobo Libra 2 using Sigil, and I've been having issues with the Kobo not recognizing my css for centring a table on a page.

Initially, I was using

Code:
table.center {
    margin-left:auto; 
    margin-right:auto;
  }
To no avail. In Sigil's preview pane, it looks perfect. On the Kobo, the table itself looks fine, but is against the left side of the page. I tried putting the table inside a

Code:
<div style="width:100%;"></div>
but it didn't seem to help. I've resorted to using

Code:
table#table1 {
    width:70%; 
    margin-left:15%; 
    margin-right:15%;
  }
But it's not idea since it's fixing the width of the table, rather than wrapping it around the contents.

I'm not sure if this is limited to Kobo devices, or itf its a common thing among eReaders and eBook formatting, but is there an accepted standard way of centring a table on a page that works with Kobo?

(There were a lot of places I could have posted this - Sigil, Kobo, etc - but nothing seemed ideal for this type of question, so I put it here. I'm happy enough if mods move it to somewhere more appropriate.)
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:35 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you are sending this as an epub, RMSDK has never allowed use of the margin auto trick to center on a page (Thanks, Adobe!). If you send the ebook as a kepub, it should work.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the table is wider than the page does it stick out beyond the right edge of the screen? In other words, what's the difference between a table that is too wide versus one that's small enough to center?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I had the opportunity to try a table. I got the flush left like you are. With a table wider than the page it folds lines within the cells and keeps the entire table visible.

Not the answer you want but to me having the table flush left isn't the worst thing in the world. You could make its left margin be the same as your paragraph indent.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #5
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you send the ebook as a kepub, it should work.
I'm not interested in converting to kepub at the moment; I sideload my books and would prefer to keep them all as ePub in case I switch devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Not the answer you want but to me having the table flush left isn't the worst thing in the world. You could make its left margin be the same as your paragraph indent.
I know its not the worst thing in the world, but if there were an option between having it look bad, and having it look good, I'd choose the latter. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there is a good solution. Thanks anyways.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
I'm not interested in converting to kepub at the moment; I sideload my books and would prefer to keep them all as ePub in case I switch devices.
I've only found one instance where the additional spans added during the conversion to epub have caused an issue with rendering the epub on a non-Kobo devices and that epub required major surgery to pass epubcheck. The main advantage to me of kepub format is the ability to use epub3 features. I am not using the KoboTouchExtended driver as my preference is to use kepubify for the conversion. I also prefer left justified aka ragged right text so hyphenation is not the issue it seems to be for many who read fully justified text.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:05 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
By using the KoboTouchExtended driver to send ePub to your Kobo, you can send them as KePub (if you want) and still keep just the ePub in your Calibre library. So if you do ever switch to a different device, you'll still have all of your ePub in your library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #8
Vanguard3000
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
By using the KoboTouchExtended driver to send ePub to your Kobo, you can send them as KePub (if you want) and still keep just the ePub in your Calibre library. So if you do ever switch to a different device, you'll still have all of your ePub in your library.
Thanks for the suggestion. I keep my ePubs in a git repo, with a subdirectory I moved read books into. I only import books to Calibre to work on metadata and conversion, then remove them afterward. It's a little weird, and maybe not the best/most efficient, but I work on books from multiple PCs so keeping my library in a repo instead seems to work best for me.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:31 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I keep my ePubs in a git repo, with a subdirectory I moved read books into. I only import books to Calibre to work on metadata and conversion, then remove them afterward. It's a little weird, and maybe not the best/most efficient, but I work on books from multiple PCs so keeping my library in a repo instead seems to work best for me.
What Ive been doing is I have my libraries on a Windows file share. So to Calibre, it looks just like a local drive. This way I can access my libraries from multiple computers.

Yes, I do find it very odd to keep your eBooks on a git repo. Is this git repo protected so nobody else can access it?
Old 08-09-2022, 05:33 PM   #10
Vanguard3000
Groupie

It's a private repo. I use mainly because I've sunk a lot of time obsessively building or optimizing ebooks so I'm paranoid of losing my library to a crash/fire/etc.

I've recently looked into file/folder sharing, as it does seem a lot more convenient. But for some reason I can't get my laptop to see the shared folder on my desktop. I'm a new parent so I haven't had the time yet to figure out what the issue is, but that may streamline things quite a bit.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #11
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
But for some reason I can't get my laptop to see the shared folder on my desktop.
Maybe this guide can help... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=362113
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:32 AM   #12
Vanguard3000
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Thanks. I've got folder sharing working now. Not sure what the issue was as I had it basically as per the link you sent already. Maybe one machine or the other just needed a reboot.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Vanguard3000; 08-23-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:45 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks. I've got it working now. Not sure what the issue was as I had it basically as per the link you sent already. Maybe one machine or the other just needed a reboot.

Thanks again!
Please edit your post to say what you got working as there are now two issue going on in the thread.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #14
Vanguard3000
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please edit your post to say what you got working as there are now two issue going on in the thread.
I figured the quote put the reply in context. In any case I've edited the post.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:52 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I figured the quote put the reply in context. In any case I've edited the post.
But that means having to go look at that guide instead of just reading what it is you got fixed. Anyway, Thanks.

Tags
center, css, margin, table