Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
George R.R. Martin/Robert Jordan [Brandon Sanderson]/Terry Goodkind/Steven Erikson

Which one of these four series should I start first? Why?

Which one is the most flawed? Why?

Which one is the most literate? Why?

Which one is the most successful? Why?

And finally:

If I wanted to read some Lin Carter-styled fantasies - when books were not tomes and one didn't die of old age waiting for the next volume to come out - what would you suggest I read other than Howard, Moorcock, L. Sprague de Camp, et al.? (Because I've already read them.)

Thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-27-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My vote goes to Joe Abercrombie.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My vote goes to Joe Abercrombie.
If Joe Abercrombie is not an option, I would go for Brandon Sanderson but not [Brandon Sanderson]

Last edited by din155; 09-27-2015 at 04:21 PM.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Not GRRM -- we have a good decade to go before the last two books get finished.

Brandon Sanderson I can definitely recommend. Haven't read the other two.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I have read GRRM and RJ, and the latter is more fantasy-ish, while the former is better written. The Wheel of Time does drag on after book 5, and doesnt pick up speed again before book 11, so if you dont like the series after a few books, then you wont and should not finish it.

They are both really good writers though.

Last edited by David Munch; 09-27-2015 at 05:08 PM.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
If Joe Abercrombie is not an option, I would go for Brandon Sanderson but not [Brandon Sanderson]
The problem is that [Brandon Sanderson] is finished, Brandon Sanderson is not even close to finished (only 2 books done). Unless of course you are talking Mistborn, which is done and might be a good epic type story, but not quite the same length/scope as the others so I was assuming his big series.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The problem is that [Brandon Sanderson] is finished, Brandon Sanderson is not even close to finished (only 2 books done). Unless of course you are talking Mistborn, which is done and might be a good epic type story, but not quite the same length/scope as the others so I was assuming his big series.
Why not Mistborn?

All his books stand well on their own, but also tie together.

Anyway, he'll be done with the Stormlight Archive before GRRM finishes ASOIAF even though he has four times as many books to write.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Which one of these four series should I start first? Why?

Which one is the most literate? Why?

Which one is the most successful? Why?

And finally:

If I wanted to read some Lin Carter-styled fantasies - when books were not tomes and one didn't die of old age waiting for the next volume to come out - what would you suggest I read other than Howard, Moorcock, L. Sprague de Camp, et al.? (Because I've already read them.)

Thanks.
Start RJ first because that series is finished.

I consider Terry Goodkind the most flawed mostly simply because the other three at least were able to hold my attention.

I think that Jordan is the most literate. While it certainly would have been better with better editing and more focus on the basic story line, the first book Wheel of Time was one of the best fantasy novels I've read. While Jordan definitely seemed to have a serious whipping naked women fetish (though that doesn't really kick in until after the first couple of books), he has a real talent for developing interesting characters.

GRRM is probably the most successful, simply because it's become a very successful TV series.

Hum, Lin Carter style fantasy - kind of hard to point to any recent ones. A couple that I liked who are perhaps a bit obscure are Rick Cook's Wiz series and Brian Daley's fantasies (The Coramonde series and A Tapestry of Magics). Both are from the 80's. Don't know if you have read any of Simon Hawke's books, but his Wizard of 4th Street series might qualify.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Not counting that ASOIAF is not finished yet, then Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth. The deeper you go into the series the more you see long preachy monologues. Show, don't tell! Huge doorstops of pages of pages of speeches.

GRRM and TG are also slow paced so if you are looking for action the Wheel of Time or DnD series (which I have not read) might be better choice. The memory of GRRM's characters are that they are more in depth than TG. GRRM also kills off his characters which is good or bad depending on your taste. Both have villains who have depth.

Last edited by artifact; 09-27-2015 at 07:36 PM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why not Mistborn?

All his books stand well on their own, but also tie together.
Mostly because the other series used in the first post are all 7+ books and epic in length/scope. Mistborn, while very good and epic scope, is only a 3 book series so not really comparable in terms of length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Anyway, he'll be done with the Stormlight Archive before GRRM finishes ASOIAF even though he has four times as many books to write.
This I believe and fully expect at this point. I think he would be working on book 6 instead of book 3 if he hadn't finished up Wheel of Time.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Hm, I have read all of them. I think Erikson and Martin are literary much above Jordan and all three are a world apart from Goodkind. So that is also the answer to the most flawed. The first few books by Goodkind are okay, even enjoyable to read. But then it becomes all about his very crude "philosophy". The later books are literaly just three sentences repeated 500 pages.
So Jordan, Martin or Erikson it is.
The most "rounded" one would be Martin. The first three books are one of the finest fantasy I have ever read. His prose is beautiful, his charcters vivid and great. The world feels real. The story is both complex (the whole game of thrones) and simple fantasy (the big threat looming in the north). The flaws: Not finished yet and the latest books were still very good, but not as brilliant as the first three.

Jordan is the most conventional of the three. It is more classic fantasy, but in cinescope (both Martin and Erikson do much deconstruction of the genre) . I liked it very much. It is the longest of the three by far, if that is of importance. It is finished. Flaws: Some of the middle books are dull and not much happens. The last book is good, but not great. The man-women thing can be strange and nearly all female characters are somewhat annoying.
Erikson is maybe my favorite. It is the most difficult of the three. I personally like nearly everything of it. The world, the characters, the story. His writing is brilliant, but it is not as finely crafted as Martin. A big plus is, that all books are very good (the weakest is the first). Flaws: Not everybody's taste, seems to be a love it or hate it book. No explanations. You know only what the characters you read know (or think they know). And they lie

So, what to read? I would say, ultimately you will want to read them all, if you like fantasy. All three are at least in my top 10 and Tolkien, Erikson and Martin would be fighting for the top spot
So I would say, try Erikson. The Malazan Book of the Fallen is finished and if you like him, you will devour it.

Erikson is
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Start RJ first because that series is finished.

I consider Terry Goodkind the most flawed mostly simply because the other three at least were able to hold my attention.

I think that Jordan is the most literate. While it certainly would have been better with better editing and more focus on the basic story line, the first book Wheel of Time was one of the best fantasy novels I've read. While Jordan definitely seemed to have a serious whipping naked women fetish (though that doesn't really kick in until after the first couple of books), he has a real talent for developing interesting characters.

GRRM is probably the most successful, simply because it's become a very successful TV series.

Hum, Lin Carter style fantasy - kind of hard to point to any recent ones. A couple that I liked who are perhaps a bit obscure are Rick Cook's Wiz series and Brian Daley's fantasies (The Coramonde series and A Tapestry of Magics). Both are from the 80's. Don't know if you have read any of Simon Hawke's books, but his Wizard of 4th Street series might qualify.

I read those Brian Daley books when they came out 30 or so years ago from Ballantine.

I really enjoyed them, but I no longer own them.

I'll check now to see if they're available as Kindle ebooks.

Thank you.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I read those Brian Daley books when they came out 30 or so years ago from Ballantine.

I really enjoyed them, but I no longer own them.

I'll check now to see if they're available as Kindle ebooks.

Thank you.
They are. I was very glad to get them in ebook since my paper copies were getting quite worn.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
They are. I was very glad to get them in ebook since my paper copies were getting quite worn.
Mine too. Also try his Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh Trilogy. This is Science Fiction not Fantasy, but it is a great trilogy in my opinion.
Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/...-of-worlds.htm
Jinx on a Terran Inheritance http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/...nheritance.htm
Fall of the White Ship Avatar http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/...hip-avatar.htm
He was a very good Science Fiction and Fantasy writer who died early in his career.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Mine too. Also try his Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh Trilogy. This is Science Fiction not Fantasy, but it is a great trilogy in my opinion.
Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/...-of-worlds.htm
Jinx on a Terran Inheritance http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/...nheritance.htm
Fall of the White Ship Avatar http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/...hip-avatar.htm
He was a very good Science Fiction and Fantasy writer who died early in his career.
Apache

I have yet to read that series by him. Is it more Sci-fi, rather than fantasy?