Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
thebigalphamale
thebigalphamale began at the beginning.

Device: u820, asus t91, eee pc
Apple Ipad Getting ripped apart online

I was thinking it might be my 1st apple device...esp with the lower than what I had expected them to price it at... but... now that its out... it lacks a lot and its getting ripped apart by many gadget/electronic/reviewing sites....all these titles were from digg top and popular news stories in the last 24 hours... maybe after jailbreaking it...and hacking it... but why does apple make it so hard...ill be looking forward some competition in the near future... what do you all think...

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad

http://lifehacker.com/5458690/the-pr...the-apple-ipad

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ipad

http://www.maclife.com/article/featu...apple_left_out

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-....html?tag=digg
thebigalphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
joeru
joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iphone ipad
It depends what you would use it for. The price is about the same as a Kindle DX which has the same limitations (and more) as those noted in the websites you listed. As a book reader, the iPad might be great and does much more than a dedicated book reader.

Alot of people are basically saying it does not make a good laptop. Well, it's not a laptop.

- Joe

Last edited by joeru; 01-29-2010 at 01:53 PM.
joeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It's an in-between device, as Jobs said when he introduced it. Bigger and easier to read than a phone, smaller and with less functionality than a laptop.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigalphamale View Post
I was thinking it might be my 1st apple device...esp with the lower than what I had expected them to price it at... but... now that its out... it lacks a lot and its getting ripped apart by many gadget/electronic/reviewing sites....all these titles were from digg top and popular news stories in the last 24 hours... maybe after jailbreaking it...and hacking it... but why does apple make it so hard...ill be looking forward some competition in the near future... what do you all think...

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad

http://lifehacker.com/5458690/the-pr...the-apple-ipad

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ipad

http://www.maclife.com/article/featu...apple_left_out

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-....html?tag=digg
The real issue is that it's actually not out yet.

So you have plenty of time before it even ships, and people can really review it, instead of relying on some video, blog posts, and a couple minutes of hands on playing by a select few to rip it and categorize its lacks.

And, there will always be competition coming out to look forward to.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
Interestingly enough look at later articles from two of the most visited websites you cited:

The iPad Is The Gadget We Never Knew We Needed
http://gizmodo.com/5458531/the-ipad-...yline=true&s=i

Editorial: Engadget on the Apple iPad

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/e...t-on-the-ipad/

The Gizmodo article was first titled "Why the iPad will crush e-Readers and Netbooks" (hence the picture of Hulk arms). But because of its obvious implications the author ended up changing it!

Funny that as all the overly high expectations cool down people start acknowledging the great potential of this device. That is not to say that it is flawless, but that compared to the competition it has way more to offer overall.
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Its going to replace my netbook and reading devices I think. I wouldn't use it for anything else. If you remember, a lot of people said the same thing about the iPhone, but when it came out there were people camped in front of the Apple store. I'm not an Apple fan, but I think it will be the same way. Honestly, I love seeing this. What follows is only more choices for LCD slate/tablet multifunction devices to read on and better prices too.

As a reader it is pretty hard to beat. It runs the iBook store, Kindle Store, B&N Store, Mobipocket and even more because all of that is available on the iPhone. There are tons of applications for the iPhone, and I'm betting there will be many programmers creating iPad specific applications right away. As a programmer myself, this is what we live to geek-out over.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
StevenK
Enthusiast
StevenK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The people tearing it down are the same ones who were building it up before the announcement. Really, the iPad would have had to cure cancer to meet the expectations that were being heaped upon it. Now it's announced and - surprise, surprise - it's something that exists within the limitations of the laws of physics and the economics of the day. Bummer! What a letdown!

For people looking for a larger e-reader, it might be your best buy. What else can you get for $500 that does as much?

Want a MID? The iPad might also be your best bet. That 10-hour battery life is pretty sweet.

Want a netbook? Well, the iPad competes strongly there as well.

I think the iPad is impressive in many ways, but true, it can't transport you to Mars and back.
StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
It's an in-between device, as Jobs said when he introduced it. Bigger and easier to read than a phone, smaller and with less functionality than a laptop.

good point. but that describes a netbook to me. I have one and it funtions quite well.

I reckon the ipad will be useful for some people and hopefully increase the tablet market which has been around for a while but seems to have trickled on to the market for a while.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
jbloudg20
Connoisseur
jbloudg20 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900 & K2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
Want a netbook? Well, the iPad competes strongly there as well.
How?

Even my slow netbook can multitask. And use flash. And run arbitrary code.

This new thing is useless. Might as well get a referbed 8GB iTouch.
jbloudg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
good point. but that describes a netbook to me. I have one and it funtions quite well.
I don't have a netbook, and I think I'd rather have an iPad than a netbook, but I don't have money for either, so it's moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloudg20 View Post
How?

Even my slow netbook can multitask. And use flash. And run arbitrary code.

This new thing is useless. Might as well get a referbed 8GB iTouch.
It may not be useful to you. I suspect it will be useful to a great many other people, and I respect their choices, just as I respect yours.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
Anyone noticed Apple's shares plunging 8.5$ today?

Imho they have 2 months to fix the most major flaw of the device, in the OS : Multitask.

They'll have to do it with the iPhone eventually ; every other major cellphone OS does it, and some already points to that fact in their ads.

For me, the iPad didn't needed to cure cancer to buy it : it needed to multi-task. Yes, features are missing, like SD card and whatnot, but I was prepared to deal with those if it multi-tasked.

My iPod Touch almost does the same as the iPad, why would I want a bigger one?
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

You might want a bigger one just because you have a hard time reading on a small screen, or because you want to read graphic novels. But I'm not sure what you need in the way of multitasking. The iPod Touch switches between applications without losing state already. Can you say more about what you would need a multitasking OS to do that the Touch doesn't do already?

(Yes, I know what "multitasking" means-- this is a functional question, not a technical one.)
Old 01-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Can you say more about what you would need a multitasking OS to do that the Touch doesn't do already?
Here are two examples, and bear in mind, I am a fairly low-end user who spends 99% of my time in Word and Firefox.

1) I make Powerpoint shows sometimes to use with songs I teach my students. This involves typing the lyrics onto the slides and using pictures to illustrate them. Typically, I have the internet in one window, the slide show in the other and I can rapidly switch back and forth between them to paste in a picture. I am not sure how I would do such a thing on an iPad other than quitting Safari and opening back up iWork a hundred times in a row...

2) When I play the slide show, I play it with the song. So I open my music player, start the song and then tab over to the already-open slide show and hit play. If I had to return to the home screen and wait for iWork to launch, the song would be half-over by then. And if I want to play a second song and slide show after the first one is done, it seems it would be more time consuming to do this on the iPad...

Fwiw my dad, who is in web media, told me his office was underwhelmed by the iPad...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #14
thebigalphamale
thebigalphamale began at the beginning.

Device: u820, asus t91, eee pc
its not a laptop or a netbook... but for the price and for usability it should have a few more basic things that netbooks have IMO... esp if they wanted to bump up share prices and kick netbooks butts and things like the kindle etc... which you know apple would love to do...

usb connection, maybe a sd slot for added memory, hdmi out, webcam for skype or something, NO FLASH...come on... flash is a basic essential... NO MULTITASKING... plus apple wont let you do anything without consulting them... i dont need them to hold my hand... when i purchase a device i want to control it... I dont want to have to jailbreak it just to make it more useful to me... it should be like that already...

i mean if APPLE added 2/3's of these they def would have hit a triple... add all of them and its a in the park homerun...
thebigalphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Here are two examples, and bear in mind, I am a fairly low-end user who spends 99% of my time in Word and Firefox.

1) I make Powerpoint shows sometimes to use with songs I teach my students. This involves typing the lyrics onto the slides and using pictures to illustrate them. Typically, I have the internet in one window, the slide show in the other and I can rapidly switch back and forth between them to paste in a picture. I am not sure how I would do such a thing on an iPad other than quitting Safari and opening back up iWork a hundred times in a row...

2) When I play the slide show, I play it with the song. So I open my music player, start the song and then tab over to the already-open slide show and hit play. If I had to return to the home screen and wait for iWork to launch, the song would be half-over by then. And if I want to play a second song and slide show after the first one is done, it seems it would be more time consuming to do this on the iPad...

Fwiw my dad, who is in web media, told me his office was underwhelmed by the iPad...
If you bounce to the Home page on an iPod Touch from Safari, it doesn't close Safari. When you tap the Safari icon again, you're back where you were, with very minimal delay. Obviously I haven't seen the iWork apps in action, but they could very well be similar.

The underlying OS is very similar to OSX-- the interface is the main difference, I think. The multitasking is there, you just don't see more than one app on the screen at a time.

And I'm not even sure about that last-- in Safari you can switch to a view that lets you quickly flip between open web browser windows. With a larger screen, the iPad might have something like Exposé to make this simple for all apps. We don't know that yet, but it would make sense, either on release or shortly thereafter.