Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Computer Doesn't Recognise Cybook

Haven't been around for a while which is a very long, boring and slightly traumatic story so I'll just skip to the bit where I beg for help.
Bookeen sent me a new Cybook coz the last one stopped working properly, buy my computer doesn't recognise the new one; the Cybook shows the 'Connected' screen but the computer doesn't register the drive.
I'm using the 'official' USB cable, I've tried different drives and tried soft reset. For some reason I can't reflash (apparently I have the latest firmware anyway). Obviously, because I wasn't technically connected I couldn't safely disconnect which has probably compounded whatever problem was there to start with.
Bookeen have apparently *accidentally* deleted two of my requests for help over the last 3 weeks and have offered very little that is constructive so far.
Any help/advice (up to and including demand a refund and get a new reader, which I am seriously tempted to do at this point, although I'm pretty sure it's not within my rights to do so) gratefully appreciated.

Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
What operating system version are you running and what's the version of the firmware on the Cybook? I've seen some reports of problems with the newer firmware and Mac OS X.

You might want to ask Bookeen if you can use the kernelb796fmt flash back to a previous firmware.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
If the OS you're using is windows, then go to confuguration panal / system tool, storage device (should be something like it anyway). There, you shouldd see your hard drive(s) and the cybook. Does the Cybook shows up there or not at all ?
Is you Cybook not detected by windows at all ? Or is just the disks not showing up ?
Does the cybook itself works appart from that ?
Quote:
Bookeen have apparently *accidentally* deleted two of my requests for help over the last 3 weeks and have offered very little that is constructive so far.
Try it again. The people at bookeen are usually helpful when you need them.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks guys.
I'm running Vista.
Firmware is 1.2 Build 834; when I asked Bookeen before about reflashing they said not to bother because it was the most up-to-date version. I am persevering with them (awaiting another response now that we've established I'm not using a dodgy cable etc) but at this rate it'll be a while before we get to the root of the problem which is why I'm seeking other opinions.
Can confirm that the disks don't show up as storage devices (because I went in to check whether drive numbers simply needed to be reassigned, doesn't appear to be the case).
Will hopefully have something more from Bookeen by tonight when I can get back to my own computer at home, but am reluctant to tinker around too much myself in case I make things worse (?)
Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Can you try another computer? That will rule out the possibillity that the USB connector(s) on yor PC are the problem
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Will hopefully have something more from Bookeen by tonight when I can get back to my own computer at home, but am reluctant to tinker around too much myself in case I make things worse (?)
Hello Mindy,

if you can resist to throw it out of the windows?! Nah, just kidding... You can try several things without making anything worse.

You can try this:
- use a different USB cable (if you have one with a flat enough Mini-USB plug, as this needs to be plugged in well)
- use different USB ports (if you used a Hub, connect it directly to your PC)
- use a different PC
- put a SD card in your CyBook and see if that's recognized
- if you use a Notebook, don't run it on battery - plug it in
- plug the USB plug in/out (of your PC) several times in a row (always wait a bit if it's recognized)
- charge your CyBook over night and try again (sometimes it just kinda "looks" well-charged)

Hopefully you can get it to work - thumbs crossed!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'll Go with what the others suggested. Namely

USB Cable - Try another Usb Cable. Somtimes USB cables cac act in unpredictable ways, and I've usually found that trying a couple of alternative ones solves the problem. You probably have a compaitable one lying around as Mini USB is pretty common, especially for cameras and portable HD's.

USB Port - try using some of the other usb ports. Often, Some of they may not have enough power, and may end up causing problems. On a Desktop it might be worth trying one of the ports on the back, as that might work.

Reset - Try resetting the device before trying to connect. It has often stopped funny behaviour for me.

Safe Mode - Try booting into safe mode (usually by pressing F8 when the machine is starting up) and try connecting the Gen3. I've often had issues in vista when connecting USB drives, HD's etc, but they usually work fine in Safe mode. THis will at least allow you to narrow down the proble, i.e. is it a device issue or a vista issue .

Another computer - As Mentioned earlier, if you can beg, borrow or steal access to another computer, preferable one running XP, you might be able to narrow down if the fault is with the Device or the Computer.

Hope one of these suggestions help
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

OK, let me try and work through all of these!
I've tried another computer (unfortunately also runs Vista but only alternative I have) and not recognised in Computer or Device Manager
Unfortunately I don't have another mini-USB cable at present so can't eliminate that, but it was the one I got with the Cybook and worked fine previously and still works fine with my SatNav (not conclusive, but helpful)
Presence of SD card or not doesn't make a difference, but SD card in card reader (in any USB port) is fine and have checked for errors etc
I have tried different USB ports, no difference, and previous Cybook always connected fine
Laptop is plugged in, and the other computer I tried on was a desktop (USB I tried was at front, can maybe try other
Have tried several times at various stages of charge with no difference (I've had the 'new' one for a few weeks ago)
Have had to reset several times because the Cybook recognises the computer even though the computer doesn't recognise the Cybook so it crashes when I can't/don't disconnect properly (which is probably making the problem worse)
Only thing I forgot to do is try in safe mode so will do that time I'm restarting my computer and keep you posted

It works fine otherwise, it's just a pain; even though I use SD card a lot I should be able to transfer stuff onto my Cybook if I want to!
Nothing back from Bookeen yet.
Any more ideas gratefully received!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

Finally heard back.
Not sure whether they don't know or don't care what the problem is, but they've decided just to send me (another) new unit.
Except that they don't have any.
So it'll be July before they get any in, but they want me to return the one I have NEXT WEEK?
AAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!