Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
DrJ
DrJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, PRS-500
Like New Sony PRS-500, Dock, 2 Covers-MINT

Hi there! - I have a 4 month old PRS-500 from Sony, read two books on it, LOVE IT, but my wife just bought me a Kindle for my birthday. . . . (I actually far prefer this Sony- don't tell her- it's far more ergonomic, screen is great, and I spent $200 at the Sony store on books).

I do like the wireless of the Kindle, but again, the Sony beats it hands down for sexy stye. I prefer a happy marriage to the device though (she's very sensitive about it and tries really hard to get a geek a present).

Anyhoo- Paid $349.99 for the device, $50-75 for the dock, and another $25 for the leather cover (opened, but used for a few days only).

Bottom line- huge value for you for $200.
Click here for more Pics & Info

Last edited by DrJ; 11-03-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Trying to post picture!
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Where did you buy the PRS-500? $349 is a little high for one bought in June this year.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
I do like the wireless of the Kindle, but again, the Sony beats it hands down for sexy stye. I prefer a happy marriage to the device though (she's very sensitive about it and tries really hard to get a geek a present).
Really? Your wife won't understand. You are better off returning the Kindle. You know you won't be able to read any of the ebooks you bought for the sony on the Kindle.

Tell here you would prefer a Sony 505 if she wants to get you a new reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Hi there! - I have a 4 month old PRS-500 from Sony, read two books on it, LOVE IT

Anyhoo- Paid $349.99 for the device, $50-75 for the dock, and another $25 for the leather cover (opened, but used for a few days only).
Surly you've had it for more than 4 months. If you bought it for $349 4 months ago you really didn't get a good deal. Perhaps it's a typo and you paid $249 for it?

BOb
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As others have said, there's no way that this can be 4 months old if you paid the full price of US$350 for it. The PRS-505 was released in October 2007, and thereafter the 500 has been very heavily discounted, typically selling new for $200-250.

Please be honest in your advertising.

Thank you,

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
shopintheusa
Enthusiast
shopintheusa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
If you froogle PRS-505 you will see refurbished units for $329. If the OP is not froogle.....$349 is accurate if he purchased 6 months ago.

Six months ago the PRS-500 averaged $279 on ebay.....now it is around $210
shopintheusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
shopintheusa
Enthusiast
shopintheusa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Docking station has never been over $50. How a docking station can be between $50-$70.....how can you not know if you paid $50 or $75 just a few months ago.
shopintheusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopintheusa View Post
If you froogle PRS-505 you will see refurbished units for $329. If the OP is not froogle.....$349 is accurate if he purchased 6 months ago.
But this is a 500 not a 505 as you can clearly tell from the pic.

BOb
Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopintheusa View Post

Six months ago the PRS-500 averaged $279 on ebay.....now it is around $210
If he paid that much for it, at the time he states, then he received a very poor deal. That's the point we are all making.

I bought one - brand new - about 1 year ago for $99. That was my second unit; I then sold both for $300, including power cable and other items, when I decided to upgrade to the Sony 505.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If he paid that much for it, at the time he states, then he received a very poor deal. That's the point we are all making.
Agreed. Also, resale price is never based on what you paid for something. It is based on what you can buy a new one for at that time. With a bit of a reduction if you can't but it any more.

BOb
Old 11-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It is possible to find a brand new PRS 505 on Ebay for $275, with free shipping. There are used ones for rather less.

This makes a used PRS 500 look less attractive.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
on ebay, I've just seen two brand new 500s going for $214 & $215. The dock is not needed at all. So all in all, $200 for a used 500 is way too high even with a dock and leather cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As others have said, there's no way that this can be 4 months old if you paid the full price of US$350 for it. The PRS-505 was released in October 2007, and thereafter the 500 has been very heavily discounted, typically selling new for $200-250.

Please be honest in your advertising.

Thank you,

[Moderator]

I think that it is in bad form to accuse someone of being dishonest.
You have know way of knowing when he bought his PRS-500 or what he paid for it. I am sure that a moderator on this site has many responsibilities, but it is sad to see that implying that someone a liar is one of them.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #14
pennpin
pennpin began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505 with broken screen. pocketbook 360 now.
nonsense! The OP is surely about to confess and profusely apologize for his lack of integrity.

inflation of price on both reader and dock.
349.99 price hand written with green marker on box in one of the photos.
drastic reduction of claimed value to $200 sale offer.

"I have a 4 month old PRS-500 from Sony"
direct purchased from Sony? he's evidently purchase books from there

"read two books on it"
"I spent $200 at the Sony store on books

"Paid $349.99 for the device"
Blah. Bottom line is... we don't care since a PRS 505 directly from sony right now is at $299.99.

you lie!
pennpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:09 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I think that it is in bad form to accuse someone of being dishonest.
You have know way of knowing when he bought his PRS-500 or what he paid for it. I am sure that a moderator on this site has many responsibilities, but it is sad to see that implying that someone a liar is one of them.
I'm not accusing anyone of deliberately lying, but the information in the original post is clearly highly suspect - the PRS-500 cost US$350 18 months ago; it did not cost $350 four months ago, as is claimed. Perhaps the original poster has inadvertantly made an error either in the age or the price of the machine.

We do have a responsibility to protect our members from false advertising.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony prs500 reader