Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Cathbad
Cathbad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Post I'm an Old Geek

I am 65 years old. I was a couch potato before the term was invented, a nerd/geek before those terms were invented and have been in IT for 40 years.

The Kindle is the first ebook reader I have bought and I like it so far.
I do have a problem and I hope someone here has solved it.
If I send a small PDF to my Kindle via Amazon the conversion is decent.
If I send any PDF larger than 20 megs it fails because gmail has that limit.
I have used Mobipocket creator to convert it to PRC. I then copied it to the Kindle. But the font size is hopeless, and the Font sizing doesn't work for .prc files.
Does anyone know the secret?
I have a lot of big fat programming books for which I also have the PDF. I have an 8GB card in the Kindle. I could carry a small programming library with me if I could convert the PDFs correctly.
Cathbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbad View Post
I am 65 years old. I was a couch potato before the term was invented, a nerd/geek before those terms were invented and have been in IT for 40 years.

The Kindle is the first ebook reader I have bought and I like it so far.
I do have a problem and I hope someone here has solved it.
If I send a small PDF to my Kindle via Amazon the conversion is decent.
If I send any PDF larger than 20 megs it fails because gmail has that limit.
I have used Mobipocket creator to convert it to PRC. I then copied it to the Kindle. But the font size is hopeless, and the Font sizing doesn't work for .prc files.
Does anyone know the secret?
I have a lot of big fat programming books for which I also have the PDF. I have an 8GB card in the Kindle. I could carry a small programming library with me if I could convert the PDFs correctly.

I tried converting a pdf with the mobipocket creator and editing the font size with html and css. When I built the pdf file, the font size was normal - so it didn't work.

What if you change the file extension of your prc file to azw? I've read that azw is just mobi with a different file extension. If it works, then the kindle's font size options should work.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Cathbad, the biggest file we have sent to Amazon for converting was 4.2mb. Have you tried opening the pdf with FoxIt Reader or Adobe and then saving as a txt file? I do that often and happy with the results. I use FoxIt Reader Pro
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Cathbad and welcome to the Forum. You're not the only oldster in these parts. I'm pushing 64 myself and can remember writing Fortran (Clear the A register) in my mispent youth.

Anyway, if you're an un-reconstructed geek like me, you'll find plenty of soul-mates here.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Cathbad
Cathbad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A good idea, but it doesn't work. It took the prc file renamed to azw, but treated it the same way it treated the prc. Oh well, on to another try.
Cathbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
foxit reader is the way to go,sir.Welcome.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote