Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #46
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
All this competition, and no one yet comes even close to having as many choices for reading and buying content as Apple's iOS.
Eh?

I would have thought that having just one less choice on Android and Windows tablets (i.e. iBooks) would count as coming close.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Eh?

I would have thought that having just one less choice on Android and Windows tablets (i.e. iBooks) would count as coming close.

Graham
And isn't the Sony app only available on Android, so it is even.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #48
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And isn't the Sony app only available on Android, so it is even.
But what does the Sony app allow you to do that you can't do with the other ePub apps?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
But what does the Sony app allow you to do that you can't do with the other ePub apps?
I don't know. But I think it allows you to buy from the Sony book store. Does it allow for syncing between Sony Readers.

But this seems to be digressing from leebase's statement:
Quote:
... All this competition, and no one yet comes even close to having as many choices for reading and buying content as Apple's iOS. ...
Since Android apps are allowing in app purchasing, and Apple appears to be restricting/discouraging it, wouldn't it be safe to say that Android has more options (or is at least close) for purchasing reading content?

Can't you buy content with the Kindle in-app on Android but not IOS?
Can't you buy content in-app with the Sony Reader with Android but not IOS?
Can't you buy content in-app txtr (or is it blue reader) on Android, but not IOS?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #50
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Since Android apps are allowing in app purchasing, and Apple appears to be restricting/discouraging it, wouldn't it be safe to say that Android has more options (or is at least close) for purchasing reading content?
Not if the content can still be purchased on the device, using a browser rather than the app, no. The more important conclusion is that general purpose tablets, whether iOS or Android, have a wider selection of content sources that eInk devices.
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not if the content can still be purchased on the device, using a browser rather than the app, no. ...
OK.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #52
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Eh?

Graham
iOS still has far more reading apps.

Bluefire, Stanza, txtr, Overdrive, the list goes on and on.

I think one would be hard pressed to find a book that could be bought on an iOS device that could not be bought on Android. For sure. iOS just has more options.

Of course, if you want MORE than books....movies and music....iOS is again that best place to be.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #53
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
iOS still has far more reading apps.

Bluefire, Stanza, txtr, Overdrive, the list goes on and on.

I think one would be hard pressed to find a book that could be bought on an iOS device that could not be bought on Android. For sure. iOS just has more options.

Txtr and Overdrive are available on Android, and Bluefire is apparently coming this month.

Stanza may not be on Android, but there is Aldiko instead, or Moon Reader, or the Sony Reader app, and so on.

Quote:
Of course, if you want MORE than books....movies and music....iOS is again that best place to be.
Again, why?

Windows tablets surely provide as much movie content, if not more, and there is very little (if any) music that you can get only on an iOS tablet.

Surely you have to agree that even if you're convinced that iOS has the edge these other platforms do 'come close'.

EDIT: Woot! I've also just discovered that I can stream the movies from my Lovefilm subscription fine on my Android phone - I don't need an app (although apparently one is in development), the web-based player works smoothly full screen.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 06-23-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #54
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Windows tablets...
lol!

Sorry. You got me there. A full fledge windows tablet has more software options than any other platform. So all of you reading on your windows tablet, good on ya

But no, I don't put "comes close" on any other platform equaling the ease and breadth of support the iOS has for content. It's so easy, and content so plentiful, that even though Android has been selling 2 to 1 over the iPhone, the amount of money spent on iOS DWARFS the Android platform.

And while you may be inspired to quibble over whether iOS is "a bit more" or a "lot more" -- the point is, in NO WAY are iOS users in any danger of lack of content support for their device.

There are lots of great reasons to choose the competition depending on one's needs or even philosophy. But those chicken littles claiming again and again that Apple would drive all the content providers off their platform have been shown to be wrong time and time again.

Getting content support is one of Apple's core competencies. Apple customers can count on Apple continuing to be excellent in this area.

Lee
Old 06-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #55
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I don't really understand how someone can outright claim that you "get more books" in the iOS than on Android.

Can someone please produce a book catalog cross-reference that shows published books versus what sites supply those books? Until then, I submit this is all just speculation.

Inkmesh could probably run that data, if anyone has it.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #56
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I don't really understand how someone can outright claim that you "get more books" in the iOS than on Android.
I think the claim was actually that you had more choice of book sources (stores), rather than more books.
And the calculation is that both have access to almost everything, but only iOS has access to the iBookstore.
As a practical matter, I would expect that basically all books are available to both.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #57
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Who said that? I said "content". I explicitly said that one would be hard pressed to find a book that could be bought on an iOS device that couldn't be bought on android.

iOS is still the first platform that publishers aim for. So, right now the books are fairly evenly covered. Magazines and newspapers -- iOS is in the lead, but it's just a matter of time before publishers get to Android as well.

Tv Shows/Movies -- Netflix runs on all iOS devices and only a handful of Android devices at the moment. The cable companies like Comcast -- they put out their iOS apps already and eventually will support Android.

Music? Android is still putting together it's answer to iTunes.

As for ease of use -- iOS folks can get most all of their needs met via their iTunes account. Books, movies, tv, magazines, and apps galore, all with one click shopping tied to their iTunes account. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Android is surely maturing fast. Android far surpasses the iPhone in mobile phone sales. Eventually we know there will be a decent competitor to the iPad.

But in now way is someone who buys an iOS device ever going to be wanting for content support. It's just not going to happen. No eInk device even comes close. Android tablets are not as "easy".

I'm a fan of Android, btw.

Remember the context of my words. It's in response to this ridiculous notion that Apple was going to drive all of the content off their platform. Even the arguments for Android only go to show that -- AT BEST -- it is almost as good or "as good in some areas" in terms of content available and ease of purchasing.

If someone wants to sell books on the iOS platform and not use Apple's purchasing system (and therefore avoid paying Apple) -- their customer's purchasing is not going to be "as easy". But as we can see with Amazon, it can still be "pretty darn easy".

And YET -- the iOS customer doesn't have to buy Amazon books. They have one click purchasing via iBooks as an option.

Lee
Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #58
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think the claim was actually that you had more choice of book sources (stores), rather than more books.
And the calculation is that both have access to almost everything, but only iOS has access to the iBookstore.
As a practical matter, I would expect that basically all books are available to both.
Potentially, one might have more book stores on the iOS, but "more book stores" is meaningless if one does not put together a Venn diagram of those stores' catalogs and identify the areas where there is no overlap.

As far as I know, there is not currently a third party entity capable of assembling this information for every book-seller catalog on every store available on Android/iOS.

Until there is, whether or not there is more book content on the iOS is just speculation, imho.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #59
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Potentially, one might have more book stores on the iOS, but "more book stores" is meaningless if one does not put together a Venn diagram of those stores' catalogs and identify the areas where there is no overlap.

As far as I know, there is not currently a third party entity capable of assembling this information for every book-seller catalog on every store available on Android/iOS.

Until there is, whether or not there is more book content on the iOS is just speculation, imho.
Which is why I said: "As a practical matter, I would expect that basically all books are available to both."
Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #60
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Which is why I said: "As a practical matter, I would expect that basically all books are available to both."
Yes, I agree this seems most likely.