Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #121
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
In my tests with the mobi conversion, I noticed that it seemed to be forcing line justification. Is there any way to turn that off? (I really dislike having justification forced on me in a small reader, especially since, in the Mobi Reader software, I can turn it on or off at will--but only if it's off in the file build.)
Right now Mobipocket conversion uses whatever the source specifies. So if the source specifies justified, then the output specifies justified. Setting (or allowing setting) the alignment for main body paragraphs to the default "unspecified" is probably a good idea. Open a feature ticket so that this doesn't get lost?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #122
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually the EPUB conversion layer currently forces justification, option to turn it off will be in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #123
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually the EPUB conversion layer currently forces justification, option to turn it off will be in the next release.
Glad to hear it.

But I'm confused about something. Why is it that my epub files appear justified in the Calibre viewer, and produce justified mobi output -- but appear unjustified on my Sony 700?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #124
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Glad to hear it.

But I'm confused about something. Why is it that my epub files appear justified in the Calibre viewer, and produce justified mobi output -- but appear unjustified on my Sony 700?
ADE is the culprit; it currently has no support for text justification. It's on Adobe's "To Do" list...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #125
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
ADE is the culprit; it currently has no support for text justification. It's on Adobe's "To Do" list...
Ah--so that's ADE running on my Sony? (I'm just as happy to have it unjustified, but would prefer control one way or the other.)

This may be a related question:

In some test conversions to EPUB, I'm finding that the in-text ToC always displays centered on my Reader, even if it was left-justified in the source html. Any idea why this should be?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #126
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
In some test conversions to EPUB, I'm finding that the in-text ToC always displays centered on my Reader, even if it was left-justified in the source html. Any idea why this should be?
you;ll have to provide an example file
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #127
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Ah--so that's ADE running on my Sony? (I'm just as happy to have it unjustified, but would prefer control one way or the other.)
BTW, it's a Sony problem now 'cause Adobe supports justification now in it's PC ADE edition, so Sony just has to update it's firmware.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #128
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
you;ll have to provide an example file
Never mind, my mistake. The ToC was indented, and when put on the smaller screen, pushed over so far it looked centered. I need to get rid of the indentation.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #129
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
BTW, it's a Sony problem now 'cause Adobe supports justification now in it's PC ADE edition, so Sony just has to update it's firmware.
I just want to chime in on this: it's not Adobe's fault. There a lot of problems with mobile DE that are Adobe's fault, but this isn't one of them.

Sony needs to update the firmware.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #130
Palquito
Palquito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Can someone tell me how to indent at the start of every paragraph? I am converting (mostly lits to mobis) and many of my source files do not indent at the beginning of each paragraph, which drives me crazy. I've searched but only found the general margins, not paragraph indents. Thanks.
Palquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #131
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palquito View Post
Can someone tell me how to indent at the start of every paragraph? I am converting (mostly lits to mobis) and many of my source files do not indent at the beginning of each paragraph, which drives me crazy. I've searched but only found the general margins, not paragraph indents. Thanks.
Do a little css like this p {text-indent: 2%} and put this under the Look & Feel tab overwrite CSS. That will indent your paragraphs. Caution: Every paragraph not tagged otherwise will be thus indented.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #132
Palquito
Palquito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Do a little css like this p {text-indent: 2%} and put this under the Look & Feel tab overwrite CSS. That will indent your paragraphs. Caution: Every paragraph not tagged otherwise will be thus indented.
Thanks for the help. It looks great.
Palquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #133
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Right now Mobipocket conversion uses whatever the source specifies. So if the source specifies justified, then the output specifies justified. Setting (or allowing setting) the alignment for main body paragraphs to the default "unspecified" is probably a good idea. Open a feature ticket so that this doesn't get lost?
How do you specify justification in the source file?

I'm creating mobipocket files and without a device that can read the format I'm kind of at a loss as to figuring out how it actually looks on a device and it wasn't until i started experimenting more with Epub that I realized what a big difference justification has on the way the ebook turns out.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #134
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For Mobipocket you should not specify the text alignment of normal paragraphs. The Mobipocket program allows the reader to specify whether they want the text to be justified or not. If you force the issue with explicit alignment styles you'll irritate the readers who like it the other way.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
How do you specify justification in the source file?

I'm creating mobipocket files and without a device that can read the format I'm kind of at a loss as to figuring out how it actually looks on a device and it wasn't until i started experimenting more with Epub that I realized what a big difference justification has on the way the ebook turns out.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #135
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I just used Calibre to convert from RTF to Mobipocket for my Kindle 1. I worked but the resulting PRC's font was too small to read and could not be resized. I went back and used Mobipocket Creator and the font is fine. Anyone know why or what happened?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote