Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Kindle screen has gone weird

I've got a problelm with my Kindle.

I went to switch it on as usual. It displayed most of the page I was last reading - except for a small area (about 2 square cm) in the top right corner of the screen. This is still showing a fragment of the screen saver that was visible before I switched it on.

Whatever page or menu I now go to, I always see that same bit of Agatha Christie's head in the top-right corner. It's as if the pixels in that area have forgotten how to refresh themselves.

I have tried a full reboot, and also a factory reset, but it makes not difference.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this, or can throw any light on it.

This is a Kindle 2, and is about three years old, so obviously I can't get it fixed under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I've got a problelm with my Kindle.

I went to switch it on as usual. It displayed most of the page I was last reading - except for a small area (about 2 square cm) in the top right corner of the screen. This is still showing a fragment of the screen saver that was visible before I switched it on.

Whatever page or menu I now go to, I always see that same bit of Agatha Christie's head in the top-right corner. It's as if the pixels in that area have forgotten how to refresh themselves.

I have tried a full reboot, and also a factory reset, but it makes not difference.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this, or can throw any light on it.

This is a Kindle 2, and is about three years old, so obviously I can't get it fixed under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
It sounds like the glass substrate is cracked. If so, I'm sorry to say that it won't get any better.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Even if it is a hardware/software failure of some kind rather than a broken substrate, the news wouldn't be any better. It's more than likely terminal, regardless. Sorry.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It does sound broken. Can you post a pic?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, Mike, I have to agree with the previous posters that this sounds like a fractured screen substrate. Are you able to take a picture of the screen and upload it? That will tell us for sure.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all your replies. At least it's good to know that there's a consensus.

Here is a photo, as requested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.jpg
Views:	4203
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	83746

I'd be grateful for any further advice.

Mike
Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid that's an absolutely classic image of a fractured substrate. The fracture is the curved edge of the "frozen" area . Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. Looks like it's time for a new Kindle?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That looks terrible! Looks like it is definitely time for a new Kindle. Or, at the least, something that's not broken if something else comes along that suits you better.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard

Thanks again, Harry, RainingLemur and others, for the diagnosis.

Actually, I'm not too upset. I've had the Kindle for three years, and have had good use from it. I'm happy to buy another one, especially as it means I'll have all the new features.

I wonder how I managed to damage the substrate. Pehaps I've not been handling the thing carefully enough.

Mike
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Indeed. Unfortunately you are not alone with that problem, it can happen easily.

It is very easy to bend it and thus break the screen.
To be very honest, I think that the newer ones are even less stable (thinner housing).

It has to be said though, that Amazon normally is very good at replacing those when the damage happens early in the products life. Try to call the Amazon Kindle support, maybe they are able to offer you some option (e.g. a deal on a refurbished one), or you might get a used but unbroken Kindle 2 at a good price at eBay.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Thanks again, Harry, RainingLemur and others, for the diagnosis.

Actually, I'm not too upset. I've had the Kindle for three years, and have had good use from it. I'm happy to buy another one, especially as it means I'll have all the new features.

I wonder how I managed to damage the substrate. Pehaps I've not been handling the thing carefully enough.

Mike
I had the same thing happen to my 18 month old Wi-Fi KK a few weeks ago. I'm not sure why mine cracked either. Mine was showing the dead screensaver with only a corner showing the actual screen. I declined the offer of the $65 refurb and finally decided to get a new 3G SO KK while they still had some new ones in stock. I'm very pleased with it.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Funny how big a deal this used to be
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Mike L
Wizard

A quick update ....

Although I'm not too bothered about having to replace the Kindle, I thought I would talk to Kindle Support, as per Andy's suggestion.

When I pointed out that the Kindle was out of warranty, the helpful support guy said that they would be willing to replace it anyway, but not for free. There would be a charge, which would be less than the cost of buying a new one.

He said that someone would contact me within 24 hours to let me know how much the charge would be, at which point I could decide whether to go with it. That was yesterday.

Today, I received an email saying that my new Kindle was on its way, and would I return the old one within 30 days. Nothing about how much it would cost.

I'm not sure whether to believe it. I'll let you know what happens.

Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Amazon's support is pretty amazing. They have a habit of doing things like this. Do let us know what arrives .
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
That's great news Mike.

Those glass screens are funny like that. I've knocked mine off the top of a refrigerator to a tile floor and had no damage at all ..... then one day I carefully set it on the table by the couch in it's cover and came back to see a broken screen. It's like the gremlins just decide when to attack or something.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote