Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #15166
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
... I can see how it might work as a TV series, a sort of "Days of our Lives" in a fantasy world.

I have not read it (or seen the TV show - except for a small bit of the first one) but from what I've read about it I understand that's exactly what it is.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #15167
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am reading At Close Quarters: PT Boats in the United States Navy by Robert J. Bulkley.
Quote:
Small though they were, PT boats played a key role in World War II, carrying out an astonishing variety of missions where fast, versatile, and strongly armed vessels were needed. Called "weapons of opportunity," they met the enemy at closer quarters and with greater frequency than any other type of surface craft. Among the most famous PT commanders was John F. Kennedy, whose courageous actions in the Pacific are now well known to the American public. The author of the book, another distinguished PT boat commander in the Pacific, compiled this history of PT-boat operations in World War II for the U.S. Navy shortly after V-J Day, when memories were fresh and records easily assessable. Bulkley provides a wealth of facts about these motor torpedo boats, whose vast range of operation covered two oceans as well as the Mediterranean and the English Channel. Although their primary mission was to attack surface ships and craft close to shore, they were also used effectively to lay mines and smoke screens, to rescue downed aviators, and to carry out intelligence and raider operations. The author gives special attention to the crews, paying well-deserved tribute to their heroism, skill, and sacrifice that helped to win the war.
So far I am enjoying this account of PT Boats during WWII. Well written and not dry at all.
After this I plan to read The Hitman's Guide to Housecleaning by Hallgrimur Helgason.
Quote:
With some 66 hits under his belt, Tomislav Bokšić, or Toxic, has a flawless record as hitman for the Croatian mafia in New York. That is, until he kills the wrong guy and is forced to flee the States, leaving behind the life he knows and loves. Suddenly, he finds himself on a plane hurtling toward Reykjavik, Iceland, borrowing the identity of an American televangelist named Father Friendly. With no means of escape from this island devoid of gun shops and contract killing, tragicomic hilarity ensues as he is forced to come to terms with his bloody past and reevaluate his future.
I broke down and bought it because it sounds like a great fun read.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #15168
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I broke down and bought it because it sounds like a great fun read.
Apache
Ha! The only thing I can't resist is temptation
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #15169
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "The Mammoth Book of Locked-Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes", a superb anthology of mysteries of the "locked-room" variety. Very good indeed, and it's introduced me to a number of new authors whose work I shall certainly investigate further. Highly recommended if this type of mystery story appeals to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #15170
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "The Mammoth Book of Locked-Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes", a superb anthology of mysteries of the "locked-room" variety. Very good indeed, and it's introduced me to a number of new authors whose work I shall certainly investigate further. Highly recommended if this type of mystery story appeals to you.
Thanks Harry!

Will check it out!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #15171
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I am almost finished with Gillian Bradshaw's Hawk of May, the first of an Authurian trilogy. It is first person and from the POV of Gwalchmai (Gawain). I got it on Kindle Daily Deal the other week and I found it reasonably enjoyable.

Bradshaw knows how to make a first person narrator appealing, as I knew from her Cleopatra's Heir, and that is the case here. Also, she is good with historical detail, as evidenced by her other books. This is true here as well.

However, I was a bit disappointed. There is a good bit of repetitiveness to Gwalchmai's thoughts, true, but the bigger problem to me was the lack of any shades of grey. Dark is dark and light is light. I'm thinking here of Morgawse, our protagonist's mother. I got excited when she was going to teach him Latin, hoping that she was going to be complex and interesting. No such luck. Also, then we get into magical stuff. This is not Bradshaw's strong suit. At all. However, it was a brisk enough read and I may pick up the other books at some point.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #15172
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks Harry!

Will check it out!
I've got half a dozen of the "Mammoth Book" series. They cover all sorts of topics, and all the ones I've read so far have been very good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #15173
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Soul Identity was an interesting story with interesting characters, and also included a neat mystery. I'll get the sequel, Soul Intent and add it to my TBR list.

<snip>
I read both of these when the author (member denbatch) popped on to MR in response to a post in 2009. I really liked the first one and the second was good, but I liked the first one best.
Quote:
This sounds good and one that pooh would like.

I am trying to decide what to read. I have quite a few freebies that look interesting and just can't decided what I am in the mood to read.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #15174
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
You do find some excellent avatar pics dreams. This one is particularly good. Very evocative.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #15175
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I love it too, but pdurrant found it for me.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #15176
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
...This sounds good and one that pooh would like....
Speaking of whom, I got a PM from poohbear this morning alerting me to the fact that several new Perry Mason titles have been added at Amazon again. Ordered a couple more, and I'd love to get into that The Mammoth Book of Locked-Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes as well, but for right now, I'm reading The Pines by Blake Crouch, a story I'm told by folks in the "Best twist?" thread has a killer jaw-dropping surprise.

Also still reading Jane Austin's Persuasion for the Book Club.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #15177
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Also still reading Jane Austin's Persuasion for the Book Club.
Still? uh-Oh. Is it that long?? I haven't started yet. I was saving it for next week so that I would, hopefully, finish around discussion time.

I was hoping to finish Among Others tonight, but I don't think thats going to happen.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #15178
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the rec.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #15179
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Still? uh-Oh. Is it that long?? I haven't started yet. I was saving it for next week so that I would, hopefully, finish around discussion time.

I was hoping to finish Among Others tonight, but I don't think thats going to happen.
It's not that long. Just seems that way.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #15180
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Speaking of whom, I got a PM from poohbear this morning alerting me to the fact that several new Perry Mason titles have been added at Amazon again.
Start with "The Case of the Caretaker's Cat" - it's a hoot! Classic Perry Mason with some vividly weird characters!

And yes dreams, I've just downloaded "The Mammoth Book" that HarryT recommended .....
[taking notes now ...]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote