Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Horror!

So last night I finished Stephen King's "Duma Key" and it was really great. That's not really what I expected, but it was. After reading "Bag of Bones" earlier in the year and finding it exceptional as well, I was willing to give King a second chance.

I don't read a lot of genre fiction, as I usually find it to be a bit trying... but these two books were really great escapes, and was wondering if anyone could offer some other suggestions along this line. I like the creepy stuff, but it needs to have some meat to make it interesting.

I'm not too interested in a lot of King's early stuff, and I am slowly making my way through the Dark Tower series... but other authors and any other books you'd suggest, I'd be interested in hearing.

Thanks!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I read the first 2 Dark Tower books and The Stand as a teenager. I liked The Stand but not Dark Tower. Haven't tried any of his other books.

Not sure if this falls into the style of book you're seeking, but check out "Fear Nothing" and "Seize the Night" by Dean Koontz. Personally, I love the audio versions with Keith Szarabajka reading. I really want Koontz to finish the third book he's reportedly been writing for almost the past decade.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The Tor freebie, Four and Twenty, was spooky in a non-threatening sort of way. Gave me little goosebumps, but I wasn't afraid to walk thru my house with the light off afterward. Plus, it's set in some interesting locations that I've enjoyed: Chattannooga, Macon GA, and the Florida Everglades.

Yes, I know I misspelled Chatin... Chattan... That Tennessee town near Atlanta. And I'll misspell it again next time also. I love the town despite its having an impossible spelling.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:00 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am at loss at what to suggest to you because I have not read Dome Key but I did read Bag of Bones. Well I tried. I got 1/2 through and stopped. The worst book by King I have ever picked up.

So....I liked It, The Stand, The Dark Tower, Misery, Insomnia...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Koontz has never done anything for me... most horror writers haven't, really. (Though I read a few things by Clive Barker that I liked.)

Maybe I'm really just not a good "horror" type... I thought Bag of Bones was one of the best pieces of genre fiction I'd ever read (I actually listened to half of it... King does remarkably well reading his own novels!) But dang if I don't love a good ghost story.

I'm looking into Lisey's Story... I do want to read the Stand at some point, but I'm kind of working up to it. IT scared the bejesus out of me as a kid... no real desire to read it.:Grins:
Old 06-27-2008, 06:23 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I don't read a lot of genre fiction, as I usually find it to be a bit trying...
just a question, does "genre (whatever)" always mean horror ? or maybe a specific kind of horror ? or something else entirely ? is it used as a sort of euphemism left over perhaps from a (purely hypothetical) time when horror films were so scary (or so disreputable ?) that you couldn't actually mention this genre by name ?

i ask, because i see you used it that way, and recently i heard a radio interview about "films du genre" ("genre films") which appeared to be about horror films as well, and i'm a bit perplexed... "genre" to me just means a kind or sort, like horror can be one genre but mystery can also be a genre or romance or science fiction or whathaveyou...

sorry for the slight thread hijack ! i thought people in this thread would probably know the answer....
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"Genre fiction" and "Literary fiction" are terms that are used sometimes to distinguish "serious" literature from "popular".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genre_fiction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_fiction
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks igorsk !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
One of my favorites in the genre is "Weaveworld" from Clive Barker.

If your interested in King's work, he also wrote some interesting stories (imho) under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. They are not horror stories but good nonetheless.
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Igor nailed it... specifically genre fiction refers to fiction that has a genre.. Fantasy, SciFi, Mystery, etc. Usually it is formulaic and may deviate here or there, but will follow a certain pattern so with fantasy you may have hero's journey, or the hard boiled detective in mystery, etc. This is in contrast with literary fiction which doesn't necessarily follow any set pattern, may cross many genre lines, and is usually much more metaphorical. If they were movies, "Iron Man" would be a genre film, and "There Will Be Blood" would be literary fiction.

I don't use "genre fiction" as a knock, either. They're different things, and do different things.

I mainly read nonfiction (no time for fun books!) and when I read fiction I tend to read literary stuff, but lately the old fiction itch has been going nuts and I just don't want any Dostoevsky.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Igor nailed it... specifically genre fiction refers to fiction that has a genre.. Fantasy, SciFi, Mystery, etc. Usually it is formulaic and may deviate here or there, but will follow a certain pattern so with fantasy you may have hero's journey, or the hard boiled detective in mystery, etc. This is in contrast with literary fiction which doesn't necessarily follow any set pattern, may cross many genre lines, and is usually much more metaphorical.
Fantasy and science fiction do not really follow these patterns. You could also argue that literary fiction is a genre.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Although he's more well known for his science fiction, Dan Simmons has written some good horror novels. I found "Song of Kali" particularly harrowing, and "Summer of Night" amd "Children of the Night" were also good.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Actually, scifi and fantasy are some of the biggest culprits. Check out that wiki article Igor linked to, it described the difference well. That being said... a lot of authors in those genre try very hard to not be, and sometimes they succeed. (And for the record, my favorite genre fiction IS scifi/fantasy.)

Again, I don't mean the term pejoratively and don't have any interest in getting into a "what is art," "what is literature," etc. argument. But there's a big difference between "The Kite Runner" and "Demian" versus Harry Potter or the latest Robert Jordan.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
Although he's more well known for his science fiction, Dan Simmons has written some good horror novels. I found "Song of Kali" particularly harrowing, and "Summer of Night" amd "Children of the Night" were also good.
Thanks, I'll look into it!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Again, I don't mean the term pejoratively and don't have any interest in getting into a "what is art," "what is literature," etc. argument. But there's a big difference between "The Kite Runner" and "Demian" versus Harry Potter or the latest Robert Jordan.
Ha! If you don't have any interest in getting into the argument, why did you make such such a statment? What sort of comparison are you making "literature versus something else", "good versus bad" , "popular versus not"? I'm just curious, I don't want to get into that discussion either.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote