Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #136
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@jackie - thx for the detail. My only thought is that as mentioned previously on this thread there is a perception rightly or wrongly that it can be "scary" to convert a file. Which if I didn't offer a way to remove it you are still forced to do.
Why? If you remove the CSS that is causing the margins to show up, then they won't show up. Seems to me that writing an empty file is very close to equivalent to deleting it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #137
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Why? If you remove the CSS that is causing the margins to show up, then they won't show up. Seems to me that writing an empty file is very close to equivalent to deleting it.
I was referring Dwanthny's original request, which was based around just identifying files with the problem file in. Having identified such files, it seems you have two choices today.

Either you convert them using that Calibre change introduced in 0.7.53, which removes the margins but potentially does "other stuff" to your book as well like flattened css etc. That was the main thing I was referring to in my post.

Of course an alternative is to use Tweak ePub and manually do it, is that what you were referring to? Certainly that is a possible alternative.

The third option is to have an option in Quality Check which automates what you would do with Tweak ePub, thereby reducing the manual effort required.

Or am I missing the point?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #138
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Of course an alternative is to use Tweak ePub and manually do it, is that what you were referring to? Certainly that is a possible alternative.
I am proposing that you simply empty the file, then rewrite it back. This requires no changing manifests and no changing reference sites. If it is using real CSS, then it should work, because the margin CSS in the file will go away. I haven't chased down dwanthy's links, but that is what the text of his message implies that some other people do.

The problem with this approach is that some tags may reference a style sheet that no longer exists. That isn't supposed to be a problem, but "isn't supposed to" isn't the same as "won't".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #139
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
My only thought is that as mentioned previously on this thread there is a perception rightly or wrongly that it can be "scary" to convert a file. Which if I didn't offer a way to remove it you are still forced to do.
If you were able to reuse the 'edit xpgt' code already used by calibre convert you could just edit the xpgt in-situ rather than doing a conversion. I do it all the time - not reuse calibre code - but I do my own simplistic edit on the 2 left/right margins I want to reduce. Calibre nukes them all I think.

The drawback would be that because the xpgt is still there it wouldn't be obvious whether it had already been "neutralised".

[Edit: sorry I was too slow Emptying the file sounds easier. It's an XML rather than CSS file, if it makes any difference.

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-02-2011 at 06:49 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #140
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, so now we say the "Check xpgt file" becomes a search for epubs that have a non-empty xpgt file, and a "Remove selected xpgt file" option wipes the contents of it.

I'm flying blind on this one - I have no idea what an xpgt file is, experienced for myself the problems it causes or know what problems any particular approach to "fixing" it has so all input welcomed . All I know is my vague memory from another thread where people didn't like them much for a margins issue which Calibre conversions now override.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #141
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Ok, so now we say the "Check xpgt file" becomes a search for epubs that have a non-empty xpgt file, and a "Remove selected xpgt file" option wipes the contents of it.
Let me poke around I should be able to provide you with before calibre conversion and after calibre conversion xpgt files.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #142
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

I'm flying blind on this one - I have no idea what an xpgt file is, experienced for myself the problems it causes or know what problems any particular approach to "fixing" it has so all input welcomed . All I know is my vague memory from another thread where people didn't like them much for a margins issue which Calibre conversions now override.
Do you have a tool that can just scan and report if it finds a EPUB with the file?

Mostly, I just blow the file away when I find it with Sigil (takes care of the Manifest).
The normal stylesheet prevails.
If I want to pass Flightcrew/EPUBcheck, I need to remove all 'Link..." from all the files.

1)so the Quality check could just locate suspect files and let the user use OpenWith to deal individually with the book

2)An option to Auto repair when it finds a victim .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #143
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just tested clearing the contents of the file. The resultant epub worked great in Adobe Digital editions and worked fine on my PRS-505. So I give two for the idea of identifying epubs with the file and the option to zero out the contents of the file.

FYI because I said I would find a before and after for you

Here is a page-template.xpgt file before calibre's conversion:

Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<ade:template xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:ade="http://ns.adobe.com/2006/ade" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">

<fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="full_page" margin-bottom="0pt" margin-top="0pt" margin-left="0pt" margin-right="0pt">
        <fo:region-body/>
    </fo:simple-page-master>

<fo:simple-page-master master-name="single_column" margin-bottom="1.5em" margin-top="1.5em" margin-left="1.5em" margin-right="1.5em">

<fo:simple-page-master master-name="two_column" margin-bottom="1.5em" margin-top="1.5em" margin-left="1.5em" margin-right="1.5em">
        <fo:region-body column-count="2" column-gap="10pt"/>

<fo:simple-page-master master-name="three_column" margin-bottom="1.5em" margin-top="1.5em" margin-left="1.5em" margin-right="1.5em">
        <fo:region-body column-count="3" column-gap="10pt"/>

<fo:page-sequence-master>
        <fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
                <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="three_column" ade:min-page-width="80em"/>
               <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="two_column" ade:min-page-width="50em"/>
                <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="single_column"/>
        </fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
    </fo:page-sequence-master>

</fo:layout-master-set>

<ade:style>
    <ade:styling-rule selector=".img" condition="{ade:page-width() &gt; 0}" max-width="100%"/>
</ade:style>

</ade:template>

Here is the same page-template.xpgt file after calibre removed the margins:

Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<ade:template xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:ade="http://ns.adobe.com/2006/ade" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">

<fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="full_page">

<fo:simple-page-master master-name="single_column">

<fo:simple-page-master master-name="two_column">
        <fo:region-body column-count="2" column-gap="10pt"/>

<fo:simple-page-master master-name="three_column">
        <fo:region-body column-count="3" column-gap="10pt"/>

<fo:page-sequence-master>
        <fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
                <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="three_column" ade:min-page-width="80em"/>
               <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="two_column" ade:min-page-width="50em"/>
                <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="single_column"/>
        </fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
    </fo:page-sequence-master>

</fo:layout-master-set>

<ade:style>
    <ade:styling-rule selector=".img" condition="{ade:page-width() &gt; 0}" max-width="100%"/>
</ade:style>

</ade:template>

Here is the contents of the page-template.xpgt file that I zeroed out and used in my reader.

Spoiler:
Code:
Sorry I can't wrap code or spoilers around a empty file. 
Trust me when I say the file was completely empty of any content.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #144
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
For removing adobe margins there is a class that does this, RemoveAdobeMargins(object) in calibre.ebooks.oeb.transforms.page_margin. Kovid added this a few weeks back as Dwanthny mentioned. It requires an oeb object though, which isn't something the current plugin is really creating when it extracts an epub.

An epub specific plugin which extracts to OEB and does all these epub specific checks/transformations might make more sense, and would be simpler to integrate into Calibre later, and it fits in pretty well with the existing Tweak Epub option which is just begging to be expanded.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #145
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
An epub specific plugin which extracts to OEB and does all these epub specific checks/transformations might make more sense, and would be simpler to integrate into Calibre later, and it fits in pretty well with the existing Tweak Epub option which is just begging to be expanded.
There are pros and cons with this idea. For a start I 100% agree that tweak ePub is something that is prime for additions. And a number of the ideas suggested here would definitely make sense to have as buttons on the tweak ePub dialog or however you would integrate it. For instance, removing old or legacy jackets, updating a jacket, replacing a cover, nuking the xpgt file and your own list of ePub stuff. Oh and I would also want to see on that modal dialog a button to open the ePub for viewing in it's pre tweaked state - the number of times I have gone to tweak and then forgotten what I was going to do...

However I guess the questions I have are these. Firstly, how would you identify that an ePub requires a particular remedy? Does tweak ePub also gain the ability to search across your library for books that fit certain criteria?

Secondly, tweak ePub is a single book feature. What about performing bulk operations? So you identify somehow a bunch of books that need certain actions applied, you don't really want to go through doing them one by one. It is almost like you would want a convert type of screen leading to the actions running as a background job. Or maybe like metadata download it is just a list of checkboxes of actions to perform...

I am just curious as to what the scope should be and how such future integration should work. I am not in any way averse to splitting out ePub specific functionality into a separate plugin, there are a number of reasons why that makes sense. So quality check would remain focused on metadata, and leave content up to the ePub plugin.

Beyond the existing released jacket features of quality check I haven't coded any of the recent suggestions as yet so doing a separate plugin is no drama for me. Perhaps you may want to write it which would be one less thing for me to support. I would just like to be sure that however we split things out that the ability to do bulk searches and updates is retained.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #146
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
All good questions.

Quote:
However I guess the questions I have are these. Firstly, how would you identify that an ePub requires a particular remedy? Does tweak ePub also gain the ability to search across your library for books that fit certain criteria?
I'm thinking the search functions themselves would probably reside outside of this, so Quality Check might be the best place for them since it's all about searching and all 'changing' currently happens elsewhere.

Quote:
Secondly, tweak ePub is a single book feature. What about performing bulk operations? So you identify somehow a bunch of books that need certain actions applied, you don't really want to go through doing them one by one. It is almost like you would want a convert type of screen leading to the actions running as a background job. Or maybe like metadata download it is just a list of checkboxes of actions to perform...
Good point about bulk operations - I suppose this could go two ways - either expand the existing Tweak epub dialog, and the 'exploding' function needs to sanity check that only one epub was selected - alternatively expand Tweak Epub into a sub-menu, one option leads to the explode dialog, the other options lead to the conversion-like functions - that would probably make more sense if this started out as a plugin and was later integrated.

Quote:
Beyond the existing released jacket features of quality check I haven't coded any of the recent suggestions as yet so doing a separate plugin is no drama for me. Perhaps you may want to write it which would be one less thing for me to support. I would just like to be sure that however we split things out that the ability to do bulk searches and updates is retained.
I'm willing to do some of these epub specific tweaks, but I'm nowhere near as fast as you or some of the other guys, particularly with GUI work. XPGT files are working their way up pretty high on my priority list as I've been reading a lot more retail epub and library books lately, most of which suffer from this. It boggles me why the publishers are so insistent release ebooks that look like crap. I guess no one in the publishing houses actually reads ebooks...
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #147
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Interesting. It is a fair point that (other than check and fix file size for which no alternate method to fix was available) QC doesn't currently have any remedy functions. Putting it into a separate plugin would also solve one of the other headaches I was having about some menu items being selection based and others running on your whole library. As it would be the case that QC functions would all just be whole library based and what you do with the results is up to you. Such as individual tweak ePub editing or doing as a batch.

So i guess what I could do is write a plugin that a bit like book conversions will run in the background on your ePub books to apply various transformations. It would work on your selected books, and give you a very simple dialog of checkboxes of stuff you want it to do with select none and all buttons. Then I would make sure each of those functions is coded to work independently. Then if it is deemed appropriate in future this whole plugin could just become an item on the tweak submenu. And the existing tweak dialog could offer similar functionality reusing that part of the code.

Then it will be up to Quality Check as to how many of these things it offers "Check" functions for. It may only be a subset, the two plugins can grow independently.

How does that sound for a plan?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #148
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Then it will be up to Quality Check as to how many of these things it offers "Check" functions for. It may only be a subset, the two plugins can grow independently.

How does that sound for a plan?
The fact that your willing to take this on makes it sound like one heck of a good plan to me.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 AM   #149
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The fact that your willing to take this on makes it sound like one heck of a good plan to me.
Haha, well, maybe. I will take a look at the tweak ePub code first to see if what it does is compatible with what I had in mind of getting the oeb object to do manipulations on the files and then putting humpty dumpty back together again afterwards without breaking anything.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #150
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Haha, well, maybe. I will take a look at the tweak ePub code first to see if what it does is compatible with what I had in mind of getting the oeb object to do manipulations on the files and then putting humpty dumpty back together again afterwards without breaking anything.
I am a Joe Friday kinda guy. I want a 'Just the facts' report. (I distrust Automatic repairs.)
My envisioned work flow:

Run the Quality tool
Use the 'Create Catalog' against the results, to make a "To Do Catalog"
Manually make the changes to select files.
Throw away the 'To Do' list when done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote