Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2014, 04:19 AM   #16
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; KOBO AURA HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Sorry for the late response. Yes, the dictionary includes words consisting of several characters. The problem is to select the word on the screen.

Here is an example of the content:
Hi tshering, now I am converting a chinese-to-chinese dictionary and a chinese-to-english dictionary. However, I always get a error during converation as shown in attatchment picture and it seems like a filename coding issue. I wander if you have some experience about this and could give me some hints? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.png
Views:	626
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	132677  
scoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #17
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoky View Post
Hi tshering, now I am converting a chinese-to-chinese dictionary and a chinese-to-english dictionary. However, I always get a error during converation as shown in attatchment picture and it seems like a filename coding issue. I wander if you have some experience about this and could give me some hints? Thanks!
I did not use penelope (therefore I do not know how it works), and I know as much as nothing about py. Did you read the exchange with Olderzeus in the current thread? He says something about changing the codepage. I am not sure whether this was only necessary because of his local settings? Maybe this is a point you can start with?

Last edited by tshering; 12-19-2014 at 04:41 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
I did not use penelope (therefore I do not know how it works), and I know as much as nothing about py. Did you read the exchange with Olderzeus in the current thread? He says something about changing the codepage. I am not sure whether this was only necessary because of his local settings? Maybe this is a point you can start with?
I have created my "dicthtml.zip" file in ubuntu, however it doesn't work... for my test, your chinese-to-english dictionary doesn't work on my HD 3.12.0. Could you check it?
Old 12-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #19
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have created my "dicthtml.zip" file in ubuntu, however it doesn't work... for my test, your chinese-to-english dictionary doesn't work on my HD 3.12.0. Could you check it?
The file name has to be dicthtml-ja.zip, no other name works. I checked my chinese-to-english again, although with a Japanese book, since I do not have a Chinese on my reader. Simplified Chinese is also supported, but having only Japanese books, I cannot demonstrate it now (Edit: But cf. the examples in this post).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_20141219_214039.png
Views:	635
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	132691   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20141219_214532.png
Views:	674
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	132692  

Last edited by tshering; 12-19-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:13 AM   #20
scoky
Connoisseur

Quote:
The file name has to be dicthtml-ja.zip, no other name works. I checked my chinese-to-english again, although with a Japanese book, since I do not have a Chinese on my reader. Simplified Chinese is also supported, but having only Japanese books, I cannot demonstrate it now (Edit: But cf. the examples in this post).
Yes, when I change my book languange to ja, it works. another question, did you ever find the parameters to control the frame size of dictionary lookup? Because the fonts in this frame are patched to became larger, so the frame is too small for fonts size and can contain only a few of text.
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #21
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
another question, did you ever find the parameters to control the frame size of dictionary lookup? Because the fonts in this frame are patched to became larger, so the frame is too small for fonts size and can contain only a few of text.
I did, but that was FW 2.4.0 or so. I am not sure whether I can find any related notes. I guess one has to start searching anew. The problem was that the frame is set at certain fixed positions on the screen, the program does not care to fit the frame into the screen. Therefore, if the frame is placed into the bottom region, the lower part of it is outside the visible screen.
I would like the dictionary to open always in full screen mode (This would helpful especially for Japanese, since in most cases you cannot go from the pop-up view to the full screen view.). I once tried a little to find how to do this, but I do not know much asm, and so I did not succeed.
Therefore, I compromise a little on the font size and line spacing.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #22
scoky
Connoisseur

Quote:
I did, but that was FW 2.4.0 or so. I am not sure whether I can find any related notes. I guess one has to start searching anew. The problem was that the frame is set at certain fixed positions on the screen, the program does not care to fit the frame into the screen. Therefore, if the frame is placed into the bottom region, the lower part of it is outside the visible screen.
I would like the dictionary to open always in full screen mode (This would helpful especially for Japanese, since in most cases you cannot go from the pop-up view to the full screen view.). I once tried a little to find how to do this, but I do not know much asm, and so I did not succeed.
I have done a search with width and height, but it can't be found.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #23
scoky
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hi, teshering, I find some parameters can control the frame size. They can in nickel and libnickel.so.1.0.0 in the attachments. Generally, parameters in nickel can control the frame size and in libnickel.so.1.0.0 can control contents size of dictionary. I modify them use hex editor and it isn't convenient for modification, but I don't know how to make patch like you and GeoffR. So maybe you can add them in you patch if you are interested.
A small issue is sometime the frame will cover the small box contains note, search and share.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen141227-165949.png
Views:	605
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	132984   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen141227-170106.png
Views:	551
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	132985   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen141227-172827.png
Views:	561
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	132986  
Attached Files
File Type: txt libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt (2.9 KB, 458 views)
File Type: txt nickel.txt (439 Bytes, 386 views)
Old 01-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #24
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Hi, teshering, I find some parameters can control the frame size. They can in nickel and libnickel.so.1.0.0 in the attachments. Generally, parameters in nickel can control the frame size and in libnickel.so.1.0.0 can control contents size of dictionary. I modify them use hex editor and it isn't convenient for modification, but I don't know how to make patch like you and GeoffR. So maybe you can add them in you patch if you are interested.
A small issue is sometime the frame will cover the small box contains note, search and share.
Thank you! Please have a look at this post.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #25
Runendeuter
Runendeuter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runendeuter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runendeuter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runendeuter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runendeuter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi scoky!

Thanks for the infos you provided.

This gave me a starting point to try out some minor modifications. I played around a bit, using a Hex-Editor, and here are my results.

And I must say, now my dictionaries are even more accessible on my Kobo HD. This is a very useful little tweak for those of us who often read foreign texts IMHO. I'm loving it.

Note: There's no color on the Kobo display of course, unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	upper_dict.png
Views:	593
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	133666   Click image for larger version

Name:	lower_dict.png
Views:	537
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	133667  
Runendeuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #26
fengcuo
fengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD & Glo
Quote:
Dear scoky,

How to solve this problem? I have the same problem with you when i try to make a cn-cn dictionary from stardict by using penelope

thanks
fengcuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #27
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengcuo View Post
Dear scoky,

How to solve this problem? I have the same problem with you when i try to make a cn-cn dictionary from stardict by using penelope

thanks
If I understood scoky correctly, he solved his problem by using ubuntu instead of windows.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:53 AM   #28
Simpetus
Enthusiast
Simpetus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Ok, now it is really strange.

At the start I have made short test version of Chinese to Russian dictionary in Kobo format that consist of only two characters - 谁 and 当时. And named it "dicthtml-es-en.zip". I turned on my Kobo H2O opened a book in Chinese (Chai Jing - Kan Jian - Chai Jing.kepub.epub), I successfully found and checked those two characters in the text (谁 and 当时) - worked flawlessly and their translations displayed in pop-up dictionary window.

After that, I converted full version in .dict format (zho_rus.dict) into Kobo's in the exact same way as with short test version and gave it the same name, put in the .kobo dictionary folder and replaced short version with full one.

Then I turned on my eBook to find out that Kobo cannot see the full version of the dictionary and displays that I have not es-en dictionary installed. What the hell? I have tried to rename full version to "dicthtml-de-en.zip","dicthtml-fr-en.zip"...you name it and still nothing, with every new name of Kobo's system just keep say that "I do not have (Language) of the dictionary installed in my system.

I started to think that "I probably done something wrong during the process" and decided to download custom Chinese-English dictionary from this thread just to check whether it is true and I really messed up again.

After I downloaded the file I replaced default dictionary with this one and guess what?.. Kobo still keeps saying that "I do not have (name)dictionary installed in my system".

So, where did I made a mistake? And why short version works, but full one not?

I am desperate.

I am providing all files that need to make a test:

- original book in chinese in kepub (it is free, no worries);
- short and full version of the Chinese-Russian Kobo format dictionaries;
- original stardict Chinese-Russian dictionary (in case I have made mistake during converting stardict to kobo's format).

Please, help, I love nickel more than KoReader.

Thanks in advance

P.S. If you need me to upload the archive to another sharing service, just say it, I will do it right away.

https://mega.nz/#!fwczhDLZ!qZTkv5_8e...csYkmfakV6d1DE
Simpetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:55 AM   #29
tshering
Wizard

Simpetus,

since I do not have my Kobo with me, I cannot check your dictionaries right now.
I would take a look into the database KoboReader.sqlite and change the entries for your dictionary if necessary (e.g., Installed=true; IsSynced=true, maybe also the values of Size and LastModified).

Were dicthtml-de-en.zip and so on already installed on your reader and did they work, before you renamed your dictionary to these names?

Last edited by tshering; 11-26-2015 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #30
Simpetus
Enthusiast
Simpetus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Simpetus,

since I do not have my Kobo with me, I cannot check your dictionaries right now.
I would take a look into the database KoboReader.sqlite and change the entries for your dictionary if necessary (e.g., Installed=true; IsSynced=true, maybe also the values of Size and LastModified).

Were dicthtml-de-en.zip and so on already installed on your reader and did they work, before you renamed your dictionary to these names?
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have downloaded SQLite Editor and done this:

1. Checked values - Installed and Synced are all "true";
2. I have corrected the size (no mistake in bytes I was very careful and precise) of the custom dictionary saved all changes and start the dictionary - no joy, Kobo's system keeps say that I have no the dictionary installed;
3. I even add new entry in Dictionary section of the SQ-file with suffix "zh-ru", exact byte size, set all parameters on "true" and change the name to "dicthtml-zh-ru.zip" - it does appeared in dictionary section when I started Kobo, but when I tried to search a word it was not in the dictionary pop-up window list.

Damn you Kobo
Simpetus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinesem, dictionary, english