Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #16
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
Interesting point about B&N or sony being equivalently right wing (in the sense of neoliberal/corporatist). If you consider the case of wikileaks losing their amazon server privileges. It is a case of "guilt" for amazon only b.c. amazon provides a service in the first place. The other ereader designing booksellers don't even provide such a service, meaningfully. Further, both B&N and sony have always tried to undercut other paperbound publisher's prices to compete, thus further eroding independent publisher's income. To say nothing of sony's traditionally extremist position on drm and device lock in, even putting drm on any file, even your own personal recordings, if you wanted to load them on a sony device.

Ultimately, there is no need to "vote with your dollars" when you can use the device for any enlightening purpose, hence undercutting the right wing monopolistic business method of the one that sold it to you.
But it doesn't hurt to be reminded, given how much tech talk can become a mindless twin of navel gazing. TBH, I think I was just going crazy talking all about file formats and functions and hardware quality on these little slabs. I'm new to this and got sucked in today. It kind of repels me. Even given how cool the possibilities are on these babies.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I just went an bought a book at Amazon for my Kindle.
God damn youuuuu!

God damn you all to he-eeeeeeell!
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #18
readingglasses
Zealot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWBSt60-TL0

unless awesome fun video of a couple minutes is tl...
Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #19
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingglasses View Post
Your right, no links. But I assumed people on here are informed enough not to require an executive report for common knowledge, without it falling to the level of rumor and innuendo. You certainly seem to have an idea.
Buy a kindle, means to support amazon. If you don't their cut throat bargain basement pricing and all the things you mentioned (although the labor machinations I'm not aware of...yet), not to mention others like the whole cutting wikileaks from their server service (not that anyone is obliged to take one side or another on that matter but whatever side they take would be a "political preference"). yada-yada-yada.

Well, you know, that's really too bad. Although I recognize those brands for the unique and powerful built-in internationalization they offer as soon as you power them on, amazon appears to be even better in that you can load mobipocket dictionaries on amazon and they will work as in-book lookups. Amazon also sells dictionaries from publishers which will likewise work as apps on the kindle, not mere ebooks. In more languages than those devices you named offer.
Further, I did mention that the higher level encryption on kindle both of wifi and of storage hdd device itself gives people more choices for access points to the net (say, on university campuses and at businesses that require the max authentication for wifi) as well as protecting user's document security should you lose your device or have it stolen.

This is an arguable valuation of amazon as "more personally empowering" as the openness to other formats and the ease of working without drm has until very recently been awful on kindle compared to other devices. I was, in fact, trying to be generous to amazon, for the sake of self moderation. A wildly overpraised virtue these days.

The sense of people who buy amazon as being right wing is a logical consequence, not a conscious decision on their part, who may identify as absolutely anything in the political spectrum (some of my best friends are liberals who buy on amazon):

support a "corporatist" organization, means you either love it and its corporatism or don't really care because you have more in your life to look after than petty "vote with your dollars" politics but you are also an apolitical consumerist sucker, who wants what you want and be damned everyone else. A typically "right wing" attitude.

I could just as easily describe myself as "right wing/neoliberal" by those very standards. We all are, these days, to some extent. It was a stretch for the purpose of humor, which seems to have passed you by in your quest for the truth and journalistic-integrity-in-forum-posting.

More power to you, however! If you care enough to worry then there's hope even on tech forums. Which is more than I can say for myself.
wikileaks endangered lives. amazon employs people. gonna go with amazon.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #20
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingglasses View Post
Interesting point about B&N or sony being equivalently right wing (in the sense of neoliberal/corporatist). If you consider the case of wikileaks losing their amazon server privileges. It is a case of "guilt" for amazon only b.c. amazon provides a service in the first place. The other ereader designing booksellers don't even provide such a service, meaningfully. Further, both B&N and sony have always tried to undercut other paperbound publisher's prices to compete, thus further eroding independent publisher's income. To say nothing of sony's traditionally extremist position on drm and device lock in, even putting drm on any file, even your own personal recordings, if you wanted to load them on a sony device.

Ultimately, there is no need to "vote with your dollars" when you can use the device for any enlightening purpose, hence undercutting the right wing monopolistic business method of the one that sold it to you.
But it doesn't hurt to be reminded, given how much tech talk can become a mindless twin of navel gazing. TBH, I think I was just going crazy talking all about file formats and functions and hardware quality on these little slabs. I'm new to this and got sucked in today. It kind of repels me. Even given how cool the possibilities are on these babies.
it is taxing how most of the stuff is repeated mindless drivel day in and out. mobi epub whatever else. it never stops. might ignore the suggest device for me forum.
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Does anyone really care about the alleged political ramifications of buying from one company or another?

All I care about is getting a good device at a low price. Therefore, I have a Kindle. I don't know anything about Amazon's politics or whatever, nor do I care. I buy other products from them all the time. What I care about is price, delivery time, reliability, customer service.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #22
readingglasses
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
wikileaks endangered lives. amazon employs people. gonna go with amazon.
Wikileaks does employ people. And they provide electronic reading material. You just don't like that they undercut amazon's prices by selling their publications for free.

How about you go middle of the road and convert wikileaks html pages to an azw book?

Then you can endanger lives on your kindle. And everybody's happy!

Last edited by readingglasses; 07-28-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: to make funnier
Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
This thread is being closed because many of the posts in this thread have strayed far from the OP's intent and some have been quite harsh.

Thread closed
Closed Thread