Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Are you unable to turn any Kindle off (without rooting)? My Nooks (and Sony) definitely have an advantage here, then.
I still have yet to hear any good reason why it might be necessary. Maybe if you want to put it away for a few months, but I consider recharging after that kind of timeframe to be eminently reasonable.

Or if you really care what the airlines (used to) say. And considering their about-face and the lack of any instances of Kindle-based terror plots...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #17
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
-- but the switch doesn't always have to be monitored, as it's also a mechanical switch. Computers and cell phones are the same.
ATX based computers do have 5V low power line which is always on. Even when it is shutdown. The purpose of that line is to allow some intelligent for the motherboard so it can monitor the power button. It can be also used for maintaining the bios. Some ATX powers might have separate switch with I and O positions which really turn them off. But those push and release type buttons can never do same.

But of course the monitoring chip (which might not be the cpu) could be in deeper sleep mode, and wake only from time to time to check the button status. That is why you sometimes have to press little bit longer before the phone turns on after complete shutdown.

Anyway, is it zero consumption? Sorry to dissapoint you, but no it is not.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:25 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I still have yet to hear any good reason why it might be necessary. Maybe if you want to put it away for a few months, but I consider recharging after that kind of timeframe to be eminently reasonable.
The reason I like the ability to do a reboot is that it can clear corruption in the memory. I also like the ability to shut a device down all the way, even if it's something I wouldn't use much -- there are times when you would like to store your device and use as little power as possible. Is it a deal killer? No. But I don't understand why Amazon doesn't provide this. It would be just be a matter of adding an extra option in the Menu. I think most every other eReader does offer this option.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:36 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
ATX based computers do have 5V low power line which is always on. ...

Well, with my computer, I can unplug it. With my cell phone I can pull the battery. So the choice to turn these devices completely off exists, no matter what switch scheme is used.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:06 AM   #20
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just curious what does the kindle execute when Menu ==> Settings ==> Menu ==> Restart is used? Or when the hardware button is pressed.
It enters "reboot" runlevel.
You can achieve the same by issuing /sbin/reboot .
It's just a Linux box after all.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:12 AM   #21
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you unable to turn any Kindle off (without rooting)? My Nooks (and Sony) definitely have an advantage here, then.
Kindles are already shipped rooted, no need to root them.
You just need to install a certificate to allow installing software not approved by Amazon - that's an easy task as of now.

But yes, there is no option to turn Kindle off in the default user interface.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:17 AM   #22
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
It's nearly zero, power consumption is negligible compared with auto-discharge.

Long story short - battery can last weeks in sleep mode (DRAM refresh needs some power) but months when powered off.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Turning it "Off" does use less power because it doesn't monitor the select button (Assuming k4SO)
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #24
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
Well, with my computer, I can unplug it. With my cell phone I can pull the battery. So the choice to turn these devices completely off exists, no matter what switch scheme is used.
Yes, that will do. I don't think the question was what happens if you take hammer and hit the device.

Also, I can agree with dsmid that the required power for Kindle is probably very low. But nevertheless, it is addition to the auto-discharge.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #25
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Interesting point susan.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote