Still running, but I've had problems (see below) 1 3.03%
Removed because I did not like it 5 15.15%
Removed because I had problems (see below) 2 6.06%
Removed because I suspect it caused problems (see below) 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Cuda View Post
Hope I agree about Go Launcher itself not likely to be the problem but I don't know for sure. My personal opinion is that the Rotating Wallpaper has more to do with it than anything else. I do know that my Fire does perform better without the Launcher. That's just a fact and that surprised me, so I think I'll live without it. Best of luck to you and the others who are still not having problems.
What do you mean it performs better?
Better battery life without it? What specifically is better?

According to this poll, NO ONE has had any problems with Go Launcher EX.
Only Blossom has reported she "suspects" she had a problem.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
74Cuda
MaxPuppy Rules
74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Acer A200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
What do you mean it performs better?
Better battery life without it? What specifically is better?

According to this poll, NO ONE has had any problems with Go Launcher EX.
Only Blossom has reported she "suspects" she had a problem.
I meant that it seems more responsive. It seems to start quicker, touch response seems better, notice I said *seems*. It's difficult to measure things like that. Battery life is another thing I can't be positive about. For me this is the best choice.
74Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #18
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
I had a problem with Go Launcher and Rotating Wallpaper together. I think the problem is Rotating Wallpaper or the combo of the two. One evening the KF would not turn on at all despite being fully charged. I did the total shutdown and long hold for 20 secs. It restarted but without the Rotating WP. I took both off. As with Blossom's problem, this occured after
the 6.2.2 update.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #19
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi I installed Go Launcher EX 2.78 two days ago along with rotating wall paper
My KF is running the latest 6.22.

I am NOT using any third party themes as I use my own wallpapers via rotating wall paper app

Whenever Amazon releases the next Firmware update I will not hit the "update" button in settings until I have read from every available web source about what the update "breaks" on people's KF.

I love having My Kindle Fire Look like a true android tablet

I just installed the "Aldiko premium" Epub reading app
and have already converted the.mobi formatted books on my reading list to "Epub format using the FREE "Calibre" program on my macbook.

so no need to Launch the Old ugly, Gigantic grey Amazon launcher to get to my books anymore.
remember if you want to try Go launcher EX make sure you get and official NON beta build from the Go launcher EX Developers web site.

Happy reading.

Cheers
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Hi I installed Go Launcher EX 2.78 two days ago along with rotating wall paper
My KF is running the latest 6.22.

I am NOT using any third party themes as I use my own wallpapers via rotating wall paper app

Whenever Amazon releases the next Firmware update I will not hit the "update" button in settings until I have read from every available web source about what the update "breaks" on people's KF.

I love having My Kindle Fire Look like a true android tablet

I just installed the "Aldiko premium" Epub reading app
and have already converted the.mobi formatted books on my reading list to "Epub format using the FREE "Calibre" program on my macbook.

so no need to Launch the Old ugly, Gigantic grey Amazon launcher to get to my books anymore.
remember if you want to try Go launcher EX make sure you get and official NON beta build from the Go launcher EX Developers web site.

Happy reading.

Cheers
All of the above are excellent ideas. I also use my own wallpaper rather than themes as well. I leave wifi on but I'm sure a better idea would be to turn it off when not needed to prevent an update before the pros and cons have been fully explored. I haven't tried any beta forms of Go so I don't think that was the problem. I have put both Go and Rotating WP back on because I simply could not deal with the gray bookshelves when I had such a pretty alternative. I'm hoping all goes well because I wouldn't be able to deal with not having the KF while Amazon replaces it.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I didn't remove it but I had to get Amazon to replace my Fire due to after the last firmware upgrade my Fire suddenly would not let me past the logo screen. I had Go! on there but after googling I've seen others who had similar issues on other devices and on the Fire who installed it so I wont take another chance with it.
The KF refused to start up today (from sleep). I never even got to the Kindle Fire logo. It was fully charged and the only new things on there were Go Launcher and Rotating Wallpaper. It took me a series of shutting down several times (even though it wouldn't start I would long hold the button) plugging it in and long holding the button, plugging it in and letting it rest for a while etc etc even thought it was fully charged. Finally it started up and I removed Rot. Wallpaper because I thought it might have been the culprit once before. THings went well until I went away and it fell asleep. Went to use it and the whole thing happened again. I removed Go Launcher. All has been well for 8 hours of sleeping, waking and accidentally shutting it off once. This is very similar to some of the posts I have read online. It's the boring gray bookshelves for me. I really can't seen to live without the thing.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #22
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
The KF refused to start up today (from sleep). I never even got to the Kindle Fire logo. It was fully charged and the only new things on there were Go Launcher and Rotating Wallpaper. It took me a series of shutting down several times (even though it wouldn't start I would long hold the button) plugging it in and long holding the button, plugging it in and letting it rest for a while etc etc even thought it was fully charged. Finally it started up and I removed Rot. Wallpaper because I thought it might have been the culprit once before. THings went well until I went away and it fell asleep. Went to use it and the whole thing happened again. I removed Go Launcher. All has been well for 8 hours of sleeping, waking and accidentally shutting it off once. This is very similar to some of the posts I have read online. It's the boring gray bookshelves for me. I really can't seen to live without the thing.
I had the same thing happen to me the other day: had to press and hold the on/off button for a full minute and a half to get it to come on again, BUT had the exact same thing happen to me BEFORE I installed Go Launcher EX and Rotating Wallpaper on the device TWICE so I don't think it is at all related to those apps.

If it makes you feel more comfortable to not have GL EX and Rotating Wallpaper, then, by all means remove them.

The Go Launcher EX has just made the KF a much more useful, enjoyable and pretty device for me with all of the widgets and apps available for it. Just found another useful one - the flashlight.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #23
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"BUT had the exact same thing happen to me BEFORE I installed Go Launcher EX and Rotating Wallpaper on the device TWICE so I don't think it is at all related to those apps."
Interesting!

It seems that there are way too many variables for people to blame their Hardware problems on GL & RW
Ive been running them both for two weeks now with no issues.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #24
beej231
Addict

Everyone's user experience is different and we all have different apps on the Fire. It is possible that while some will have no problem with something, others will due to all the variables. I also ran GL and RW for several weeks with no problems, twice. But then, along came the problem that I had never experienced without GL and RW, twice. I'm convinced especially in light of Blossom's experience. Remember, she never even got to remove GL and RW, she had to send her unit back. That sort of dovetails with other reports on the internet.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #25
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Again, its only Blossom who is insisting it is GO. I run it since months without any problem, 3 firmware updates and a hell of apps, officially not working on the Fire.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Again, its only Blossom who is insisting it is GO. I run it since months without any problem, 3 firmware updates and a hell of apps, officially not working on the Fire.
I've never insisted it's Go! that caused my problem. I said along the lines that it could have been it but we will never know. There are other forums where people had the same issue that had Go! installed so it can't be ruled out.. My guess was it bad firmware update and Go! was the reason it got stuck in the loop but we will never know because I had to return it.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #27
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

Quote:
"Everyone's user experience is different and we all have different apps on the Fire. It is possible that while some will have no problem with something, others will due to all the variables. I also ran GL and RW for several weeks with no problems ......... I'm convinced especially in light That sort of dovetails with other reports on the internet."

Hi the problem with anecdotal web forum
"reports" on the net is that they never give detailed info about what version of GO or what version of RW or what other third party side loaded apps they are running or if they are using custom themes or "live" wall papers
or the nature of their online activity with the device

Software that worked "for weeks" does not suddenly "spoil" like a bowl a shrimp salad. there has to have been some catalyst

We would literally need to see a controlled study
of people running "virgin" kindle fires with no third party apps.

All trying that EXACT same version of go launcher and Rotating wall paper obtained from the EXACT same source.

Not much chance of that happening
so my sympathy for those who have been spooked Back to the uber ugly, giant ,grey book shelf launcher from Amazon.

Maybe they should lobby amazon for some officialy sanctioned alternatives.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
beej231
Addict

What we do here is report our experiences. What's a shame is people who feel they have say "your experience must be wrong." I was reporting my problem, not insisting that everyone accept it as the only valid experience. For me it hasn't worked out. I'm not suggesting that everyone go back to the bookshelves but merely reporting my experience as Blossom did. Neither one of us suggested that GO HAD to be the problem and everyone should stop using it, only that it may have been a problem for us and WE decided to stop using it.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
NO ONE is insisting that GL was the problem. Only that we suspect that WE had a problem.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #30
dacarlson
Enthusiast
dacarlson began at the beginning.

Device: K1,K2, KF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Hi the problem with anecdotal web forum
"reports" on the net is that they never give detailed info about what version of GO or what version of RW or what other third party side loaded apps they are running or if they are using custom themes or "live" wall papers
or the nature of their online activity with the device

Software that worked "for weeks" does not suddenly "spoil" like a bowl a shrimp salad. there has to have been some catalyst

We would literally need to see a controlled study
of people running "virgin" kindle fires with no third party apps.

All trying that EXACT same version of go launcher and Rotating wall paper obtained from the EXACT same source.

Not much chance of that happening
so my sympathy for those who have been spooked Back to the uber ugly, giant ,grey book shelf launcher from Amazon.

Maybe they should lobby amazon for some officialy sanctioned alternatives.
Having managed many networks of computers both large and small since Win 3.1, I can say that software can go bad over a few weeks like a bowl of shrimp salad. ANYTHING can happen and it's best to get rid ideas to the contrary immediately. Process are constantly running in the background that the user is completely unaware of and things may be heading south for a while before there is an actual malfunction. Sometimes you are never able to figure out where all went wrong.

I HAVE run batches of KF's with NO 3rd party software (only books from AMAZON)to see what happens with alternate launchers and alternate wallpaper apps though never with both an alt. launcher and wallpaper app installed together. Problems DID occur after the launcher had been in use for a while rather than at the outset (tho some units did immediately have trouble at the outset.). By problems I mean freezing up and never starting again, refusing to wake from sleep, refusing to restart after being shut down, long colorful lines where the ugly grey shelves should be, and not being able to start apps from the alternative launcher. I have not yet studied a batch of fresh KF with absolutely no books installed, but I planned to.
dacarlson is offline   Reply With Quote