Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
Question SD card issue

I can't seem to get my gen3 to recognize the content on the sd card plugged into it. This is a 2 gig card that came with the gen3. I have windows vista and when ever I plug the gen3 into the computer to transfer files I always get a message saying that the sd card needs to be fixed. So one of the times I decided to have vista fix it for me and after that the cybook would not work if the card was plugged into it. So I reformatted the card and now the gen3 will work just fine with the card installed but it doesn't show any of the files that I have on it. Any suggestions?
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try another card; the Gen3 seems to be fussy about what cards it'll work with. When you find one that works, there are no problems, but a number of people have reported problems similar to yours which have gone away when another card is used.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahcowboy View Post
I can't seem to get my gen3 to recognize the content on the sd card plugged into it. This is a 2 gig card that came with the gen3. I have windows vista and when ever I plug the gen3 into the computer to transfer files I always get a message saying that the sd card needs to be fixed. So one of the times I decided to have vista fix it for me and after that the cybook would not work if the card was plugged into it. So I reformatted the card and now the gen3 will work just fine with the card installed but it doesn't show any of the files that I have on it. Any suggestions?
First, make sure you've got the Cybook plugged into an appropriate USB slot. Usually, that means moving cables around to place the Cybook into one of the rear-of-the-motherboard USB ports.

Second, you may well need to re-format the SD card with FAT32.

Third, there's always the chance that the SD card you got with the Cybook is just not going to work. Yes, this *HAS* been a problem with the 2GB SD cards Bookeen supplies. I know that the older SanDisk (blue case, blue/white/red label) SD cards up to 2GB in size work great. I buy them for less than $6 (2GB size) on eBay.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

I tried reformatting the card while it was still in the Cybook and this time it works just fine.
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
The only issue I have with the SD Card is...apprehension. I have never had occassion to use one before now, I'm embarrassed to say. I'm even more apprehensive after reading the problems people were having with them on this forum. I decided to take the cowards way out and delete books from my Cybook instead. I have tried several times without success. My delete button isn't working. Is this a fault with all Cybook devices or only with mine? If some kind person has the time would they give me a quickie lesson on how to use the SD Card.

Thanks,
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
The only issue I have with the SD Card is...apprehension. I have never had occassion to use one before now, I'm embarrassed to say. I'm even more apprehensive after reading the problems people were having with them on this forum. I decided to take the cowards way out and delete books from my Cybook instead. I have tried several times without success. My delete button isn't working. Is this a fault with all Cybook devices or only with mine? If some kind person has the time would they give me a quickie lesson on how to use the SD Card.

Thanks,
Mag.
The Delete button *WON'T* work until Bookeen adds that feature. You have to plug in the Cybook to the appropriate USB port on your computer (and it will most likely be one in the back of the computer), turn the Cybook ON (you can choose to turn it on and plug it into the computer instead, if that's how you prefer to do it) and look for the Cybook - and the SD card - in the file explorer that comes with Windows. (Right-click on the START button on the Windows taskbar and Explore should be the first, second or third option.) Once you find the Cybook, just open the /eBooks folder and delete the files from there.

You can also use Explore to drag ebooks into that folder instead of using Mobipocket Reader to do the transfer.

Remember to always 'safely remove hardware' before unplugging the Cybook. On Windows XP, that means looking for a tiny grey icon with a green arrow along the top, clicking on it, selecting the Cybook to shut down (On my WinXP that's drives N: (SD card) and O: (Cybook).) and waiting until it says I can remove the hardware.

Derek
Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Derek,

Many thanks for the info re:-Delete button, and your instructions for the operation of the SD Card. Very much appreciated. I'll try it out over the weekend.

Slan,
Mag.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
The only issue I have with the SD Card is...apprehension. I have never had occassion to use one before now, I'm embarrassed to say. I'm even more apprehensive after reading the problems people were having with them on this forum.
No reason to feel apprehensive, Maggie. I've been using an SD card with my Cybook ever since I got it in December and other than a problem with bookmarks, which I think had to do with syncing books to my SD card, I really haven't had any problems at all. I stopped syncing books to my SD card and now I don't have any bookmarking issues either. My computer has an SD slot in it, so I save ALL my books directly to the SD card - I don't have any books installed in the Cybook's main memory - and things are working great.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer

Hi ProfJulie
Thanks for the reassurance. I don't remember seeing exactly how many ebooks can be stored on the Cybook. I have approximately 80 on it at the moment. I would prefer to store my books on the SD card. I was anxious about using it in case I made a mistake and messed up my Cybook in the process. I shall try it out and keep my fingers crossed it works out o.k. Thanks again.

Slan
Mag.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Hi ProfJulie
Thanks for the reassurance. I don't remember seeing exactly how many ebooks can be stored on the Cybook. I have approximately 80 on it at the moment. I would prefer to store my books on the SD card. I was anxious about using it in case I made a mistake and messed up my Cybook in the process. I shall try it out and keep my fingers crossed it works out o.k. Thanks again.

Slan
Mag.
I've pushed it as high as 107 ebooks, but some of them were rather small. I've since switched over to putting ALL my ebooks on the SD card.

Derek
Old 03-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer

107 eBooks? That aint half bad. Thank you for the info Derek.

Slan
Mag.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:18 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Hi ProfJulie

Slan
Mag.
One reason to use the SD card is precisely that it REDUCES your chance of messing up your CyBook. If you never touch the internal file system, you're highly unlikely to mess it up.

All I use the internal memory of my Gen3 for is to store fonts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
bobdig986
No Previous Experience
bobdig986 began at the beginning.

New SD Card

My Cybook was one of those that could not remember where I left off reading, really my only issue. I tried various of the suggestions made here and the one that worked, for over a week now, was replacing the SD card with a new one. It is always there for me now at the proper page. Even formatting the old did not work for me.
bobdig986 is offline   Reply With Quote