Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Bizarre ADE bug with brackets

I managed to waste over an hour today on one of the most bizarre bugs I've yet seen in ADE.

If a paragraph is centered (using text-align: center), contains a br tag, and the first character after the break is a left bracket ( (, {, or [ ) or an em-dash, then the text on that line will be shifted right by about 1em. The only way to prevent this is to ensure that the first displayed character on that line is something other than a left bracket/em-dash (inserting a character wrapped in a display:none span won't work).

This happens on both the current 1.72 version of Desktop ADE and on my PRS-505. I've attached an example epub that displays perfectly in other epub-renderers but fails in ADE.

I'll file a bug report about this, but we all know that the chances of Adobe actually fixing this are minuscule, so it's just something people will need to be aware of and work around.
Attached Files
File Type: epub bugtest.epub (2.3 KB, 259 views)
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Sadly, confirmed.

We should seriously compile a list of ADE quirks.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I had noticed some weird alignments in centered lines, which I thought were due to text-indent, but could not fix it. Then I read somewhere (probably some thread here) that ADE had this problem with brackets in centered lines, which explained the issues I had seen. Now I just ignore and hope for the best (that either ADE will be fixed or readers will use a different rendering software in the future)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It only seems to happen after a br tag. E.g.
<p class="center">(gh)</p>
will render properly, whereas with
<p class="center">(gh)<br />(gh)</p>
the second line will be shifted to the right.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Yes, your description is much more detailed than the blurred image I had in my mind
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert