Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
BGog
BGog began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook howto questions...

I'm loving my nook so far but I have two things I can't figure out.

1. How do you jump to a specific page in a book? I'm trying to continue reading a book I already own (epub) and I can't figure out how to get to page 245 without hitting the forward button 245 times and waiting for the page to refresh. My thumb is getting tired.

2. In the store, is there a way to sort results when browing the ebooks? I'm trying to find a good scifi book and I'd like to sort by things like release-date or customer rating etc.. It would suck to have to leaf through an unsorted list of thousands of books. I know I can always search my computer but I was hoping the store would be "useful"

Thanks!
BGog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I don't have a nook but played with one in the store. According to the User Guide (page 93 of the pdf) there should be a "go to" menu available when you're reading a book.

Quote:
Navigating
You can go to these locations in an eBook using the menus:
• Cover
• Table of Contents (if present)
• Chapters
• Pages
• Furthest read page
• Bookmarks
• Highlights and notes

To go to a specific location in what you are reading:
Tap Go to and choose one of the destinations.
I have no idea about your second question. Hopefully some of your fellow nookies will jump in with the answers.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
BGog
BGog began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks daffy. Well the actual choices available in the "goto menu" are:
* Furthest read page
* Cover
* Chapters

Thats it. I verified that this is also true for a book purchased from thier store. There is a separate bookmarks menu.

I found an (unacceptable) solution to my problem. I searched for part of a sentence on the page I was trying to get to. That worked but required me to fire-up my sony prs-505 to find something on the page.
BGog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Sorry, the User Guide lied to me.

Not to chase you away (we want you to stay) but maybe the folks at nookboards.com can help you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Too bad the Nook (at least with current software, come on BN, add some of these features!!) can't jump directly from page to page or in multiples of pages (ie 10 pages at a time or 10% at a time like the Sony Readers could).

In the case that there are no Chapter's indexed into a TOC, I've found that searching for the word "Chapter " or "Chapter X" (where X is a number) does work. Also searching backwards for the Author's Name or the Book Title will often get you to the front/beginning of the book. That or searching for the word "Copyright" or "ISBN".

BN really needs to add a "Jump to Beginning" or start of the book option. Right now, there is only a go to Cover option, which in books that don't have a cover defined or epubs that are a little funky, won't work at all.

Hope that helps.

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
The user guide appears to have been written for a slightly different version of the software. In addition to the portion quoted above, it also makes mention of the ability to change color themes for the touchscreen, which does not exist.

All I can guess is that these things are planned for a future version, which was originally going to be the launch version of the software. I think they rushed the device to market. Perhaps in the not-too-distant future the software will be updated to match what's in the user guide.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote