Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Colour Cool-er by Christmas for less than $300?

That's what this article claims!

Quote:
On the horizon: Branded COOL-ERs with retail partners, a larger format color screen eBook reader, which could be ready as soon as Christmas (and a target price under $300), a book publishing division of the company called COOL-ER Writing, and a new out-of-the-box pricing structure which is said to make the COOL-ER reader affordable to virtually anyone.
Considering they went from conception to prototype in 3 weeks for the "basic" Cool-er, this may actually be a quote rather than a misunderstanding by the reporter.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, plenty of food for thought in that article ! interesting to note that the idea behind the Cool-er is to create a complete reading / publishing platform, instead of only a device, similar to Amazon's model, but apparently much more open. It will definitely be interesting to follow the developments here. I am also looking forward to discovering their "of-the-box pricing structure which is said to make the COOL-ER reader affordable to virtually anyone". Perhaps a subscription model is planned ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I say Bunk, unless they are using thi pixel Qi screen.

and if they are using the Pixel Qi screen. I expect better devices that what cooler can offer unless they get a ton of backing.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I say Bunk, unless they are using thi pixel Qi screen.

and if they are using the Pixel Qi screen. I expect better devices that what cooler can offer unless they get a ton of backing.
i'm really hoping to see the pixel qi screen used for liseuses. based on what i've seen, Mary-Lou Jepson is very keen to make them as cheap as possible and integrate them into as many devices as possible so they will be economically viable and she clearly is interested in dedicated reading devices (she follows mobileread ! ) so it seems quite likely that will happen. i don't know whether Cool-er will be the first but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps the writer is getting confused between a "colour" reading device, and the fact that the device itself is available in multiple colours?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps the writer is getting confused between a "colour" reading device, and the fact that the device itself is available in multiple colours?
well, they did mention explicitly a colour *screen*. it's possible they are confused, of course, but the pixel qi screen seems to be practically ready for production so if that is the plan i think it sounds quite plausible.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that Harry may have a point there!

Z: I just hope that your dreams have the power to alter reality. I really do!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
As so far Interead's strategy has been to repackage OEM devices (the Cooler is a close relative of the Cybook Gen3, and the PocketBook 301 - they're all manufactured by a company called Netronix), it would be very surprising if they were developing their own reader. There are a number of LCD based tablet PCs being shown right now, so it might be reasonable to expect that the 'bigger colour' Cool-ER could be a rebadged one of those. For instance, it could be the Jointech which has a 7" LCD screen.

Though Neil Jones is being described as an inventor, it seems his role here is marketing man, not technologist. The cooler went from conception to prototype in 3 weeks because all of the electronics and software had already been developed by Netronix. Just about the only thing that Interead have brought to the Cooler is the coloured case - the hardware and software are all off the shelf. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that the next Coolers are unlikely to be great technological leaps.

Certainly it seems the Cool-ER is all about putting in place a full ecosystem for E-Books, from writers to publishers through bookshops to the consumer. As such, I'd doubt they have much interest in extending the state of the art of digital readers. The brand and price point are much more important than the technology.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Torulv
Torulv began at the beginning.

Device: none
that is a fact. this is a greyscale screen, standard e-ink viplex.

this reader is the most appealing to me at the moment (despite being commented on having somewhat hard to press buttons that are noisy) simply because it's 6", small, light, has good battery life and is opensource. fancy functions isn't that appealing to me, and I don't want my "book" to be like a PC, in the end it will only be distracting. I just want to read.

Last edited by Torulv; 06-10-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Torulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I am all for this. I hope it's true.

However, the device itself seems to be a prototype. Hard-to-press buttons are the major drawback for me. I can see them wanting to make it less likely that you'll turn the page accidentally, but not to this extreme.

I would definately consider the COOLer as a gift item, but not with the current item.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torulv View Post
that is a fact. this is a greyscale screen, standard e-ink viplex.

this reader is the most appealing to me at the moment (despite being commented on having somewhat hard to press buttons that are noisy) simply because it's 6", small, light, has good battery life and is opensource. fancy functions isn't that appealing to me, and I don't want my "book" to be like a PC, in the end it will only be distracting. I just want to read.
hey don't understate an easy to press button. you will be clicking it 200+ times a day. maybe 500-1000 times a book.

that is where the Kindles and the prs-700 lead. its easy as hell to turn the dang page.

most other readers is Easy.

but this device its been reported as hard and annying, and not placed well.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Folder support, format support, software problems...these can all be remedied with updated firmware.

Hardware issues, such as horrible button placement, hard-to-press buttons...these you will be stuck with FOREVER!!!!!

Muahahahahaha!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Folder support, format support, software problems...these can all be remedied with updated firmware.
!
and don't forget just cause something can be fixed via software doesn't mean it will be.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
and don't forget just cause something can be fixed via software doesn't mean it will be.
Right. But even if they don't fix the firmware, you can use OpenInkPot, providing they have a version for your reader.

However, with button placement and hard-to-press keys, there is no update except at the factory.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Yet another device.. The ebook sector is kind of following in the netbook footsteps, having more devices out than necessary,with nearly nothing to differentiate them from one another..

I put my hopes on the improved hardware! 4GB MLC flash costs next to nothing, I wonder why none seem to have something close to this.
The controller chips board and the housing can be made very cheap, if it's just made in plastic.
The e-ink display is the only thing that costs, but I thought they vamped up production since last year, no?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote