Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
BlackJapan
Member Retired
BlackJapan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ZIP file problem

Hi there!

First of all, sorry for my english. I'm also pretty new at the E-book thing.
I would like to ask for your help regarding to the following problem:

I have a book in .zip format. If I decompress it I can see the following files:

book.txt (this contains the short intro for the book)
book.html
book.jpg
book.opf
mbp_toc.html

The problem: if i import it (as a zip or as a decompressed folder) into Calibre and convert it to mobi (during the converting process I have to add manually the book cover, all other metadata seems to be ok), after converting and opening mobi file in Calibre reader I can see the table of contents hyperlinked in blue, but they do not work. The only hyperlink that works is the Table of Content right under the books name on the first page. If I press on it, it jumps to the end of the book, where the detailed table of content can be found, but that links do not work.

What should I do to make them work?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Matt
BlackJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you unzip the zip file to your PC then double-click the file mbp_toc.html, it should open in your standard PC browser. Do the hyperlinks work correctly in the browser?

If they don't work, you need to correct the hyperlinks in the html file.

Alternatively, if they do work, just drag the mbp_toc.html file into calibre as a new book. Calibre will automatically pull in any other referenced files as it needs to. It will also change the html file into a zip in the process. Then try converting this new book to mobi.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
BlackJapan
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If you unzip the zip file to your PC then double-click the file mbp_toc.html, it should open in your standard PC browser. Do the hyperlinks work correctly in the browser?

If they don't work, you need to correct the hyperlinks in the html file.

Alternatively, if they do work, just drag the mbp_toc.html file into calibre as a new book. Calibre will automatically pull in any other referenced files as it needs to. It will also change the html file into a zip in the process. Then try converting this new book to mobi.

If I open the mpb_toc.html in my browser, the links are blue but do not work.
If I upload here, could you please check what is the problem?
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1.zip (186.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 09-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJapan View Post
If I open the mpb_toc.html in my browser, the links are blue but do not work.
If I upload here, could you please check what is the problem?
links hat fail don't point to their targets (correctly).

Common error is including an ABSOLUTE path. eg C:\foo\book.html
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@BlackJapan,

As theducks says, the problem is that both mbp_toc.html and 2001_urodisszeia.html have bad anchor tags. They are both easily fixable with a bit of html knowledge.

However, I'm afraid I'm going to withdraw at this point. The html is so bad that I find it hard to believe that you purchased this mess from a legal source. If this is a wrong assumption, I do apologise, but if it is a legal purchase you should pursue the vendor for a corrected version or your money back. On MobileRead, we cannot offer technical support to correct pirated books.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 03:52 AM   #6
BlackJapan
Member Retired

Guys!

Thank you very much for your help! I'm really appreciate it!
It seems I have to read it without the Toc.

Thankx again!

Matt
Old 09-19-2014, 04:04 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Try reassemble/recreate it with calibre
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote